Every year, over 20 lakh aspirants apply for banking jobs. One of the sought-after job options in the banking sector is the probationary officer. Recruitment to public sector banks, including Canara Bank is administered by the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS). Canara Bank PO recruitment exam comprises four sections, namely, quantitative aptitude, reasoning, general awareness, and English language.
Canara Bank PO recruitment fills hundreds of vacancies. Over 1 lakh candidates apply for Canara Bank PO vacancies. Thus, having a top-notch preparation strategy for Canara Bank PO is essential. This article will aid you with the subject-wise preparation plan for Canara Bank PO.
Canara Bank PO Preparation 2020 – Syllabus
Before starting your preparation, go through the Canara Bank PO Exam Pattern and Canara Bank PO Syllabus. Segregate the topics according to the difficulty level and spend more time on difficult topics. Make a realistic timetable and follow it strictly. Try to make your own notes and if not possible, highlight key points as you study. These will help you to revise quickly. Manage your time, revise regularly and take mock tests. The subject-wise preparation plan is given below.
How to prepare for Canara Bank PO – Section Overview
Canara Bank PO has four sections, and all the four sections compile to ask 200 questions. Canara bank conducts the exam for the recruitment of probationary officers in two hours. Answering 200 questions within 2 hours can be difficult. Following a subject-wise preparation plan can help candidates to answer the questions accurately within the duration. The table below depicts the subject wise questions.
Canara Bank PO – Section Wise Marks Distribution
|Name of Section||Number of questions|
- a. Except for English language, other subjects will be bilingual (Both in English and Hindi)
- b. The cut-off marks for each subject and the overall cut-off score will be decided by the bank.
- c. Candidates must clear both the cut-off scores, i.e sectional and overall, in order to appear for the next stage of the selection process.
Canara Bank PO Preparation For English Language
In order to prepare for English Language you need to focus on the three basic parts of English Language that is Grammar, Vocabulary and Reading Comprehension.
- Brush up the rules of English Grammar and practice questions asked based on English Grammar. This will help you to solve questions like Error Spotting, Active and Passive Voice, Tense, Direct and Indirect Speech, etc. Once you are very clear about the grammatical rules and have practiced enough, you will be able to answer most of the questions from this section.
- Improve your vocabulary by reading English newspapers, books etc. Learn new words and practice sentence formation with them. Having a good vocabulary is a key factor by which you will be able to score more in less time.
- Developing reading habits will help you to read and understand passages or articles in less time. This will help you in solving passage-based questions and comprehension tests in comparatively less time.
- Practice different types of questions and read on a regular basis to improve your performance in this section.
In this section, you can score maximum marks in comparatively lesser time provided you are very clear with your basics and have practiced enough.
Canara Bank PO Preparation Tips for the English Language
– Reading English newspapers and magazines daily will help exponentially.
– Brush-up the vocabulary to score better in the English language section
– Work on grammar to avoid chances of mistakes in the section
– One Word Substitutions, Cloze Test, Reading Comprehension, Synonyms & Antonyms are some topics with the most question weightage in the English Language section
Canara Bank PO Preparation For Reasoning
This section tests your analytical and reasoning abilities. You need to be good at analysing and decision making. You will need an ample amount of practice to develop these skills.
- Attempt the non-descriptive topics first (Classification, Analogy, Distance and Directions, Blood Relations, etc.) which only needs the basic logical thinking.
- This sections also have a few tougher questions based Puzzles, Seating Arrangements, Syllogism, etc. For this type of questions, have your theoretical concepts clear, read and understand the basic data, pay attention to the variables involved, go through sample questions and understand the steps involved.
- Practice multiple parameter based questions. Start with the noting down the direct information, be clear with the terms used and their relations. Arrange the data and focus on the indirect data available to approach the correct answer.
- Develop the habit of making diagrams or flow charts to solve the questions. Try to do some paperwork instead of solving verbally.
- Refer to the books and online study materials to understand the approach, logic and procedure to solve the problem. Practice regularly to increase accuracy.
- Practice different types of problems with varying difficulty level. Think critically and visualize the problem. Spend more time on difficult and critical questions. Make sure you solve the questions with proper understanding.
Canara Bank PO Preparation Tips for Reasoning
– Candidates must practise regularly to score better in the reasoning section
– Brush up on shortcuts and tricks to answer accurately in a lesser time
– Solve previous year’s question papers to get an awareness of questions in reasoning section
– Questions from seating arrangement, coding-decoding, puzzles, blood relations, direct sense, order and ranking are usually asked, thus, spend extra time to practise questions from these topics
Canara Bank PO Preparation For Quantitative Aptitude
This section tests your problem-solving skills and your mathematical knowledge. The questions will be based on mathematical concepts; thus, you need to be clear with your basics. This section has two types of questions: one which are direct formulae based and the other one which needs the knowledge of both formulae and analytical skills.
- Memorize the formulae thoroughly and solve the direct formula-based questions first.
- Questions based on Probability, Permutations and Combinations, Time-, Speed and Distance, etc, are tricky and need greater analyzing and visualizing. For such questions, you need to have a thorough understanding of the theories and you must also know how to apply it.
- Refer to sample problems and solutions to know and learn the detailed method to solve the problems of a specific kind.
- You need very good practice to solve the problems accurately within time. Expose yourself to different types of problems in order to master this section. Devote more time to difficult questions and learn it thoroughly with deep and complete understanding.
Canara Bank PO Preparation Tips for Quantitative Aptitude
– Learn formulas and shortcuts to answer the questions quickly
– This section is time-consuming yet has the same weight-age, thus, practise more and improve the calculation speed
– Data Interpretation, Simplification, Number Series, Percentages, P&L, Averages are some topics from which questions are frequently asked
– Combine preparation for interrelated topics such as time, work, speed and distance.
Canara Bank PO Preparation For General Awareness
For this section, you need to be aware of the current affairs and keep track of the day-to-day happenings across the globe. This section is very vast but you can prepare for it very effectively and score maximum marks once you know how to deal with this section. Since this is a banking exam, you need focus more on the current affairs which are directly or indirectly connected to the Finance, Banking and Economic aspects.
This section has three different types of questions, namely: Static GK, Current Affairs and Banking Awareness.
- Static Gk is the part which is based on static facts and does not change with time. Thus, all you need to do is to refer to previous year question papers and sort out or observe which kind of questions are asked and what is the topics they intend to cover.
- Prepare according to the previous year question paper analysis and also refer some standard books which will cover up the rest part.
- In case of current affairs, go through the current news and newspapers regularly. Go through the current affairs analysis of the past six months. You can also note down important points for quick revision.
- For Banking Awareness, you need to go through the current affairs and the static knowledge of Banking and Finance.
- Altogether, revising regularly is the key to prepare for General Awareness section.
Canara Bank PO Preparation Tips for General Awareness
– Develop a habit of reading newspapers daily
– Watch news channels in the free time to learn about the happening around the globe
– Go through all the events that happened in the last 6 months
– Banking Awareness, RBI Functions and Power, Monetary Policy, Economic affairs, Currencies, are some topics from which questions are designed
How to prepare for Canara Bank PO – General Tips and Tricks
Apart from the subject wise preparation plan, candidates must have a general yet powerful strategy to be followed during the preparation phase to get a good score. Space below mentions preparation tips for Canara Bank PO recruitment exam.
- Stick to the syllabus – do not consider studying topics which are not mentioned in the official syllabus.
- Develop time management skills – Use of techniques such as Pomodoro, POSEC, among others is advisable.
- Make a study plan: This helps in completing the syllabus before the exam date, keeping separate time for revision.
- Practise mock tests – Practising mock tests for bank PO exam helps in working on speed and accuracy according to the actual exam pattern and type of questions.
- Prepare study notes – This helps in the last-minute preparation and revision.
Candidates must build a preparation strategy after compiling general tips and tricks and the subject-wise plan to get the fruitful results.
We have provided you with all the information which will help in your Canara Bank PO Preparation. You now know how exactly you need to approach each section and which are the points you need to take care of. You need to refer previous year papers and sample papers for better preparation. Revise regularly and take mock tests to know where you stand.
As Canara Bank PO are recruited through IBPS exam, taking IBPS PO Mock Tests at Embibe will help in preparation. Once you successfully attempt a mock test you can also get detailed test analysis which will point out the factors which is affecting your overall score. Working on these weaknesses will improve your score and confidence too.
We hope that you are now clear about how to go about Canara Bank PO Preparation. If you have any question regarding Canara Bank PO Preparation, please post it in the comment box below and we will get back to you at the earliest.1116 Views