A career in Automobile Engineering – Automobile Industry is one of the most vital products in every human’s life as, without commutation, no work is possible. It is a branch of engineering which deals with designing, operating and constructing automobiles. In India, the automotive industry is one of the largest in the world, with an annual production of 23.37 million vehicles. The degree in automobile engineering also offers several specializations in aerodynamics, emissions, chassis, ergonomics, alternative fuels, etc. Several institutes, including IIT Delhi, IIT Roorkee offering admissions for a Career in Automobile Engineering.
A degree in automobile engineering is the first step to step into making a career in the field. The admission to the course may be through merit or an entrance exam. The aspirants will be open to various opportunities post-completion of graduation. Maruti Suzuki, Ashok Leyland, Honda and TATA are some of the recognized recruiters of the field. In India, the average salary is Rs. 3 Lakh-Rs. 6 Lakh per annum. The salary will increase with experience in the field. Read the article to know more about a Career in Automobile Engineering.
Career in Automobile Engineering: Eligibility
Obtaining a degree will give a start to a career. The degree of automobile engineering is a four-year engineering degree course in BE or B.Tech programmes. The aspirants with a degree in hand will be open to various opportunities in automobile engineering. Candidates can get admission to any of the institutes provided they meet the eligibility conditions. Check below the eligibility criteria of the automobile engineering course-
- The aspirants must have passed the 10+2 board or any equivalent exams from a recognised board with physics, chemistry, and mathematics subjects as main subjects.
- The aspirants should have scored a minimum aggregate of 50 per cent marks in their board exams to be eligible for admissions.
- Some of the top prestigious institutes like that of the BITS, IIT’s and the NIT’s require a minimum aggregate score of 60 per cent in board exams.
- Candidates with diploma in the mechanical and related stream of electrical or electronics can also take admission through lateral entry entrance examinations in the second year of the engineering program after they complete the Diploma.
- Aspirants with a Bachelor degree in Science are also eligible for lateral entry in automobile engineering programmes.
Career in Automobile Engineering: Courses
Aspirants can choose diploma, certificate, degree, doctoral or master’s course depending on their eligibility. The course will help the aspirants to equip the skills and knowledge necessary to excel in the field. Check below the automobile engineering courses available in the institutes-
|B.Tech in Automobile Engineering||4 Years|
|B.Tech in Automotive Design Engineering||4 Years|
|B.E in Automobile Engineering||4 Years|
|Certificate Course in Automobile Engineering||1 Year|
|Certificate Course in Automobile Repair & Driving||1 Year|
|Diploma in Automobile Engineering||3 Years|
|M.Tech in Automobile Engineering||2 Years|
|M.Tech in Automotive Engineering & e-Manufacturing||2 Years|
|M.E in Automobile Engineering||2 Years|
|Ph.D in Automobile Engineering||3 Years|
Career in Automobile Engineering: Skillset
The field of automobile engineering will demand the aspirants to be equipped with the necessary skills. Course and some experience in the field will help the candidates to acquire the skills. Check below the skills required to make a career in automobile engineering-
- The students who plan to take up an automobile engineering degree course should be interested in Science as subjects such as Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry play an important role in comprehending the subjects in the degree course.
- The aspirant should also have an interest in cars and auto mechanics.
- A keen sense of creative and innovative solutions in repairs, designing and drawing are the potential candidates.
Career in Automobile Engineering: Top Institutes
The aspirants must check the list of colleges offering the course of automobile engineering and pursue a degree in the same. The fees of the course will vary as per the institute and level of the course. In India, some of the potential automobile engineering colleges charge an average tuition fee ranging between Rs 10,000-4 lakh per year.
Some of the top private colleges such as Manipal University, SRM University, Amity University may charge more than Rs 4 lakh as per year fees due to demand in admissions. Government colleges such as Indian Institute Technology (IIT) and National Institute of Technology (NIT) charge a reasonable fee of around Rs 4 lakh per year. Check below the list of top colleges offering admission in automobile engineering and average fee-
Top Automobile Engineering Institutes
|S.No||Name of College||Course Fees|
|1||IIT, Delhi||Rs 3.6 lakh|
|2||IIT, Roorkee||Rs 2.9 lakh|
|3||Sathyabama University, Chennai||Rs 1.7-2 lakh|
|4||Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal||Rs 14.41 lakh|
|5||Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai||Rs 3 lakh|
Career in Automobile Engineering: Admission
The admission to the automobile engineering courses will be through an entrance exam in most of the colleges. Based on the score of the aspirants, selection to the course will be done. Check below the top entrance exam conducted for UG and PG level-
Entrance Exam for Automobile Engineering
- JEE Main
- AP EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test)
- JEE Advanced (Join Entrance Examination Advanced)
- TS EAMCET (Telangana Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
Career in Automobile Engineering: Specializations
Check below the specialization available in automobile engineering-
- Vehicle and pedestrian safety or supply chain management
- Rapid prototyping
- Fuel technology and emissions
- Fluid mechanics
- Engine systems
- Emissions control
- Electronics and control systems
- Computer-based systems and electronics
Career in Automobile Engineering: Job Profiles
There are a variety of job opportunities available for an automobile engineer in production plants, service stations of automobile companies, automobile manufacturing industries, motor vehicle departments of control, transport companies, insurance company experts, and state transport corporations, etc. During the course, the aspirants are taught to be experts in CAD (Computer-Aided Design), CAM, ERP and therefore one can simply join designing companies as designers of the automobile.
There are maintenance jobs also available for engineers for the general supervision in factories, automobile industries and supply chain automobiles of various corporations. If any aspirant extends his degree like MBA after completing graduation in Automobile engineering several other options open up for them in marketing and management. Check below some of the job profiles available in the field of automobile engineering-
- Automobile Engineer- Their job responsibility of an automobile engineering is to design, manufacture and operate automobiles. It includes elements of mechanical, electrical, software and safety engineering as applied to design and manufacture buses, bikes, trucks and other vehicles and machines.
- Automobile Designer- Automobile designers design the appearance, components and parts of automobiles and road vehicles such as cars, trucks, motorbikes and buses. Apart from this, their job comprises the functional development of the vehicle including the mechanical, electrical, software, electronic, and safety aspects.
- Car Designer-They often work with automobile engineers to craft innovative ideas for designing new automobiles. The job role of the car designer is restricted to a new designing made to make it functional to make it appealing for the customer.
- Executive and Managerial Positions- Some Automobile engineers occupy executive and managerial positions in various MNCs and the corporate world.
- Sales Officer-Recruited in automobile showrooms to manage the sales of automobiles to the customers.
- Professor in Engineering College-Teaching students about the field of automobile engineering.
- Product Development Engineer-Responsible for developing, assembling and designing of products in the automobile industries.
Career in Automobile Engineering: Salary Offered
The salary package of an Automotive Engineer depends upon various factors such as job profile, organization, experience, qualification and experience. Automotive Engineers can earn a considerable salary. In India, the average salary of a fresher is Rs. 3 Lakh to Rs. 6 Lakh per annum.
An experienced Automotive Engineer with a master’s degree can earn more than Rs. 1,00,000/- per month. The engineers can also set up their own maintenance workshops or automobile garage. In other countries such as the USA, the starting salary of a fresher Automotive Engineer is around $64k per year. Check below the salary of some of the job profiles in automobile engineering-
|Name of Job/Role||Average salary in Rs lakh per annum (2-5 years’ work ex)|
|Professor in engineering colleges||7-8|
|Product Development Engineer||4-5|
Career in Automobile Engineering: Top Recruiters
India is the fourth largest automotive market by volume. Automobile sector contributes 7% of the country’s GDP by volume. Check below some of the top recruiters in the field of automobile engineering-
- Ashok Leyland
- Heldex India
- Hero Moto Corp
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- Maruti Suzuki
Career in Automobile Engineering: Scope
An Automobile engineer must combine several elements of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software engineering, safety and environmental aspects into his work. It’s a quite challenging and interesting profession.
The automobile industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in India. There is a rise in automobile manufacturing units all over India. Specifically, in Chennai, there is a sudden boom in automobile manufacturing industries in the past couple of decades.
Multinational companies such as Hyundai, Ford, Volkswagen and several other companies have opened their manufacturing units in the outskirts of Chennai. Hence, Chennai is famously known as the Detroit of India. This provides a wide range of employment for the students studying in Chennai. Not only in Chennai, the automobile sector is developing all over India.
Career in Automobile Engineering: FAQs
Q1. How can I get a job in automobile engineering?
Ans: To get a job in automobile engineering, the aspirant must have a degree in hand.
Q2. What is the scope in automobile engineering?
Ans: As a growing industry, automobile engineering has a wide scope of creating more employment in future.
Q3. How much is the salary of an automobile engineer?
Ans: In India, the average salary of an automobile engineer who is new to the industry is around Rs. 3 Lakh-Rs. 6 Lakh per annum.
Q4. What are some of the recruiters in the field of automobile engineering?
Ans: TATA, Bajaj, Hyundai, Mahindra are some of the recruiters in the field of automobile engineering.
Stay tuned to embibe.com to catch all the updates about the Career in Automobile Engineering492 Views