Career in Nanotechnology – Nanotechnology is the science of studying material at a scale of 1 to 100 nm in length. This science has resulted in a great transformation in various industries from electronics to textiles, manufacturing, medicine, and more.
Nanotechnology has impacted all areas of our lives. These include materials and manufacturing, electronics, computers, telecommunication and information technology, medicine, health, environment and energy storage, chemical and biological technologies, and agriculture.
Due to such a wide impact of this area of study, there is an immense requirement for highly qualified researchers, and engineers who can use Nanotechnology to bring transformative products for the growth of the economy and nations. Scroll down below to know in detail about the scope of your career in Nanotechnology.
How to start a career in Nanotechnology?
To start a career in Nanotechnology basic requirement is a bachelors degree in basic science or a B.Tech. Since Nanotechnology is an interdisciplinary subject there is no major restriction. The area of bachelor study could be from any of the field mentioned below
- Chemical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Materials science and engineering
- Mechanical engineering
After that, a student needs to do a Masters degree with a specialisation in Nanotechnology.
Soon after the Master’s degree in Nanotechnology, one can start their career in research or join an Industry working in products based on Nanotechnology.
If one is interested in further exploring the field and joining top research labs or becoming a professor then Ph.D is the minimum requirement.
Courses in Nanotechnology
There are various courses in Nanotechnology. These are described below:-
List of Courses in Nanotechnology
|S.No||Courses||Type of course|
|1||B.Sc / B.Tech||Bachelors|
|2||M.Sc in Nanotechnology||Master|
|3||M.Sc in Nanoscience and Technology||Master|
|4||M.Tech in Material Science and Nanotechnology||Master|
|5||M.Tech in Nanotechnology||Master|
|6||M.Tech in Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials||Master|
|7||Doctor of Philosophy in Nanotechnology||PhD|
|8||Doctor of Philosophy in Nanoscience and Technology||PhD|
Career in Nanotechnology – List of Top Colleges
- Indian Institute of Technologies
- National Institute of Technologies
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research
- Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research
- Hyderabad University
- Indian Institute of Science
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
List of Job Profile in Nanotechnology
1. Applications Engineer- An application engineer with a Nanotechnology specialization works to develop a product or improve the properties of the product by utilising Nanotech solutions. The starting salary of an application engineer is around Rs 6 LPA to Rs 8 LPA. As one grows in experience, the salary insights improve accordingly.
2. Manufacturing Engineer- Nanotechnology has found an integral role in various domains such as engine coating, oiling, lubricants, and more. There are manufacturing organizations applying nanosciences to study the minutest particles. Protective layers of ceramic are used in engines and manufacturing units. It deals with various aspects such as designs, building, machinery and more. So there are various opportunities in this domain. It looks into various technologies such as nanofabrication or nanomanufacturing. The starting salary of manufacturing engineering in nanotechnology is around Rs 4.5 to Rs 6 LPA.
3. Research Scientist- Since nanoscience is a vast field, various organizations take concrete steps with the help of research scientists. They take into account the behaviour of a structure and look into how the technology can be worked at the nanoscale. The starting salary of a research scientist is around Rs 10 LPA.
Career in Nanotechnology – Industries
- 1. Electronics/semiconductor industry
- 2. Textile Industry
- 3. Auto and aerospace industries
- 4. Biotechnology
- 5. Medical fields and pharmaceuticals
- 6. Food science (quality control and packaging)
- 7. Forensic Industry
- 8. Research Industry
Career in Nanotechnology – Top Recruiters
- Applied Materials
- GE Engineering
- Dr. Reddy’s Lab
Scope of Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology is a futuristic science. As people are becoming more and more aware, they are choosing clean and eco-friendly technology to cope with current issues. Opportunities are available in medical, healthcare, pharmaceutical, environment industries, etc.
Nanotechnology can be used to develop product and solutions to some of the pressing issues of our time such an air/ water pollution, decomposition of plastics, fuel-saving technology, corrosion-resistant materials and many products which can find use in our daily life.
Thus the field has immense scope and students should pick up the field if they want to work in cutting edge research and products.
Career in Nanotechnology: FAQs
Q. What is the use of nanotechnology in the electronic industry?
A. Nanotechnology is applied to study small particles of nano size. They are used in semiconductor nanowires, solar energy devices, film utilized to apply thin films and more.
Q. Enlist the industries where nanotechnology is involved?
A. Nanotechnology is involved in various important industries: Textile Industry, Auto and aerospace industries, Biotechnology, Medical fields and pharmaceuticals, Food science (quality control and packaging), Environmental monitoring and control, Agriculture, Forensic Industry, Research Industry, Aerospace.
Q. How is nanotechnology a career option?
A. Without a speck of doubt, this is a great career option but one must have an inclination towards science and technology to pursue the same. The scope of this field is endless because it is in demand almost in all the industries today.- environment, technology, biology, chemistry, etc.
Q. What are the uses of nanotechnology in the forensic department?
A. This technology is used in forensic departments for various uses such as Fingerprint identification, DNA analysis, Explosive particle analysis, Nanosensors, Scanning probe microscopy, Drug identification, etc.
Q. How to get admission in nanotechnology?
A. Students can get a bachelor’s degree in any field of sciences and then they can do a Masters in Technology with Nanotechnology as a specialization.
We hope that this information on Career in Nanotechnology has helped you. If you have any queries then you can ask us and we will answer you. Use the comment section below for any queries and comments.
Stay tuned with embibe.com for the latest updates on Career in Nanotechnology.636 Views