CBSE Class 12 Syllabus For English 2020-21: Students of CBSE Class 12 must go through the entire CBSE Class 12 syllabus and ensure that they have finished everything. Candidates should finish the entire CBSE Class 12 syllabus thoroughly without skipping any topic. Due to the spread of Coronavirus, the officials have reduced the CBSE Class 12 English Syllabus for 2020-21 by up to 30% to manage the time lost. In this article, we have provided the detailed and reduced new CBSE Class 12 syllabus for English. Read on to find out.
CBSE Class 12 Syllabus For English Core 2020
CBSE Class 12 syllabus for English has three sections:
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Skills
- Literature and Long Reading Skills
CBSE Class 12 English Syllabus For Section A
Section A will have two passages – Passage A and Passage B. We have provided the detailed syllabus for both the passages here.
One unseen passage with a variety of Objective Type Questions, including Multiple Choice questions and Short Answer Questions to assess comprehension, interpretation, and inference. Vocabulary such as word formation and inference of meaning will also be assessed.
The total length of the passages will be between 800 – 900 words. Five Multiple Choice type questions and Seven Objective Type Questions (total 12 Marks) shall be asked from this passage. The passage will include one of the following:
- a) Factual passages, e.g., instructions, descriptions, reports.
- b) Descriptive passages involving opinion, e.g., argumentative, persuasive, or interpretative text.
- c) Literary passages, e.g., extract from fiction, drama, poetry, essay, or biography.
The second passage will be of 400-500 words. Note-making and Abstraction will be assessed.
- i) Note making (4 Marks)
- ii) Summary (4 Marks)
CBSE Class 12 English Syllabus For Section B
Advertisements and notices, designing or drafting posters, writing formal and informal invitations and replies. One question out of the two Short Answer Questions to be answered in 50 words. (4 Marks)
Letters based on verbal/visual input – One question out of the two Long Answer Questions to be answered in 120-150 words: 6 Marks Letter types include
- – Business or official letters (for making enquiries, registering complaints, asking for and giving information, placing orders, and sending replies)
- – Letters to the editor (giving suggestions or opinions on issues of public interest). Provide realistic context in the form of a newspaper report/article to which the students may respond.
- – Application for a job
Two compositions based on visual or verbal inputs. May be descriptive or argumentative in nature such as an article/a debate/ a speech or a report.
Two Very Long Answer Questions containing internal choice, to be answered in 150- 200 words. Contemporary topical issues to be a part of speech and debate writing. (10×2=20 Marks)
CBSE Class 12 English Syllabus For Section C
- I. Eight Objective Type Questions – 4 from one poetry and 4 from one prose extract to assess comprehension and appreciation. Avoid direct questions. Refer to the lines to answer questions based on the given extract (8×1=8 Marks).
- II. Five out of Seven Short Answer Questions based on prose/drama/poetry from both texts. Questions should elicit inferential responses through critical thinking (5×2=10 Marks).
- III. One out of two Long Answer Questions to be answered in 120-150 words to assess global comprehension and extrapolation beyond the text. Questions to provide evaluating and analytical responses using incidents, events, themes as reference points (6marks) (Flamingo).
- IV. One out of two Long Answer Questions to be answered in 120-150 words to assess global comprehension along with analysis and extrapolation beyond the texts. Questions to elicit creative responses and the ability to form opinions (6marks) (Vistas).
NCERT Prescribed Books For CBSE Class 12
1. Flamingo: English Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi
2. Vistas: Supplementary Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi
1. The Last Lesson
2. Lost Spring
3. Deep Water
4. The Rattrap
6. Poets and Pancakes
7. The Interview
8. Going Places
1. My Mother at Sixty Six
2. An Elementary School Classroom in a Slum
3. Keeping Quiet
4. A Thing of Beauty
5. A Roadside Stand
6. Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers
|1. The Third Level |
2. The Tiger King
3. Journey to the End of the Earth
4. The Enemy
5. Should Wizard Hit Mommy
6. On the Face of It
7. Evans Tries an O-Level
8. Memories of Childhood
9. The Cutting of My Long Hair
10. We too are Human Beings
CBSE Class 12 English Paper Question Design
FAQs Related To CBSE Class 12 English Syllabus
Some of the FAQs and their answers are as under:
A: CBSE Class 12 syllabus for English has three sections:
i) Reading Comprehension
ii) Writing Skills
ii) Literature and Long Reading Skills
You can check the detailed Class 12 English syllabus on Embibe.
A: Yes, due to the spread of Coronavirus, the officials have reduced the CBSE Class 12 Syllabus for all subjects for session 2020-21 by up to 30% to manage the time lost.
A: The Flamingo English Reader for Class 12 contains a total of 14 chapters including 8 prose and 6 poetries. Class 12 English Supplementary Reader Vistas contains 10 chapters.
A: Yes, NCERT books are more than enough to clear Class 12 English exams with flying colors.
So, now you have the entire CBSE NCERT Class 12 syllabus for English Core. Finish the entire CBSE Class 12 English syllabus thoroughly.
Download new and reduced Class 12 Syllabus for other subjects from here:
|NCERT Syllabus For Class 12 Maths||NCERT Syllabus For Class 12 Physics|
|NCERT Syllabus For Class 12 Hindi||NCERT Syllabus For Class 12 Chemistry|
At Embibe, you can solve CBSE Class 12 practice questions for Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and Biology. Embibe also provides CBSE study material for these subjects. If you are preparing for JEE or NEET, you can take JEE mock tests and NEET mock tests on Embibe.
We hope this article on CBSE Class 12 Syllabus for English helps you. You can drop your questions regarding CBSE Class 12 syllabus for English in the comment section below. We will get back to you.101 Views