CBSE Class 9 Geography Syllabus: Check Important Details
CBSE Class 9 Geography Syllabus: Geography constitutes an important portion of the CBSE Class 9 Social Science subject. In Class 9 Geography, students learn about the various physical characteristics of the Earth and how humans interact with the environment on various levels. Students must go through the CBSE syllabus for 9th Geography in detail if they want to understand the course content and ace their final exams.
Here, the CBSE Class 9 Geography syllabus 2022-23 has been provided for students to refer to for their exam preparations. The details provided in this article also include the CBSE Geography map syllabus for Class 9 so that students are well-versed with their map work. It is essential for students to be aware of the complete syllabus to plan and execute their preparation. Continue reading to get the latest CBSE Class 9 Geography syllabus.
CBSE Class 9 Geography: Overview
The first step toward preparing for exams is to understand the syllabus completely. But before proceeding with the CBSE Class 9 Geography syllabus, students must go through the overview given in the table below:
CBSE Class 9 Geography comprises 6 chapters that focus particularly on Indian Geography. Students can refer to the table below to get the detailed CBSE Class 9 Geography syllabus:
India – Size and Location
– Location & Size – India and the World – India’s Neighbours
Physical Features of India
– Formation of Physical Features – Oldest Landforms – Himalayas – Formation of the Northern Plains – Major Physiographic Divisions: Himalayas, Northern Plains, Peninsular Plateau, The Indian Desert, Coastal Plains, Islands
– Drainage Patterns – Drainage Systems in India – The Himalayan Rivers: Indus, Ganga, Brahmaputra – The Peninsular Rivers: Narmada, Tapi, Godavari, Mahanadi, Krishna, Kaveri – Lakes – Role of Rivers in the Economy – River Pollution
– Climatic Condition in India – Climatic Controls – Factors Affecting India’s Climate: Latitude, Altitude, Pressure and Wind – Indian Monsoon – Onset and Withdrawal of Monsoon – Seasons – Distribution of Rainfall – Monsoon as a Unifying Bond
Natural Vegetation and Wildlife
– Relief Features – Climate: Temperature, Photoperiod (Sunlight), Precipitation – Importance of Forests – Ecosystem – Types of Vegetation: Tropical Evergreen, Tropical Deciduous, Thorn and Scrubs, Montane, Mangrove, Medicinal Plants – Wildlife – Conservation of Forests
– Population Size & Distribution – Population Growth and Processes of Population Change: Population Growth, Process of Population Change, Age Composition, Sex Ratio, Literacy Rates, Occupational Structure, Health, Adolescent Population, National Population Policy, NP 2000 and Adolescents
The CBSE Class 9 Social Science exam includes 80 marks for the theory exam and 20 marks for map work. Map work is an integral part of the Geography syllabus, and students must comprehensively practice maps if they want to score good marks in the exam. The CBSE Geography map syllabus for Class 9 is as follows:
Q.1: Where can I check the CBSE Class 9 Geography syllabus?
Ans: The CBSE Class 9 Geography syllabus has been provided above in this article. Students can check the chapters and detailed topics included in the syllabus on this page.
Q.2: How many chapters are there in the CBSE 9th Geography syllabus?
Ans: There are 6 chapters in the CBSE 9th Geography syllabus – India – Size and Location, Physical Features of India, Drainage, Climate, Natural Vegetation and Wildlife, and Population.
Q.3: Which textbooks are prescribed by CBSE for Class 9 Social Science?
Ans: CBSE prescribes NCERT books as the official textbooks for Class 9 Social Science. The list of books prescribed by CBSE for Class 9 Social Science is History: India and the Contemporary World – I; Geography: Contemporary India – I; Civics: Democratic Politics – I; Economics: NCERT Economics Textbook for Class IX.
Q.4: Where can I download the NCERT textbooks for CBSE Class 9 Social Science?
Ans: Students can download the NCERT textbooks for CBSE Class 9 Social Science in PDF format from Embibe or the official NCERT website. The links to download the textbooks have been provided above in this article.
Q.5: Has the CBSE 9th Geography syllabus been reduced?
Ans: No, after the reduction of the syllabus in the past 2 years due to the COVID pandemic, CBSE has reinstated the complete syllabus for CBSE Class 9.
CBSE Class 12 Fee Structure: Check Important Details