GATE 2021 Exam: IIT Bombay opened the GATE application window on September 14. GATE 2021 Registration Form can be filled from the official website i.e. gate.iitb.ac.in. The last date to fill GATE 2021 Application Form is October 7, 2020. GATE 2021 Exam is scheduled to be held on February 5 to 7 and 12 to 14 (6 days 2 sessions).
This year, 2 more subjects have been added, GATE eligibility criteria have been changed to 10+2+3, Arts and Commerce students are eligible, and aspirants can apply for max 2 papers now. With the relaxation in GATE Eligibility criteria, it is expected that this year more students will appear for the exam. Also, due to the inclusion of the Humanities and Social Sciences area subjects, the PSU can hire candidates with Humanities background.
Candidates must have a clear knowledge of all the aspects of the exam, like eligibility criteria, important dates, how to apply, etc before they apply for GATE Exam. In this article, we have provided all the necessary information regarding GATE Notification 2021. Read on to find out.
|Latest September 14: GATE Registration Process has started. Apply Here|
GATE 2021 Exam: Overview
What is GATE? Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam is conducted every year to evaluate the knowledge and understanding of candidates in various undergraduate subjects of Engineering/ Architecture/ Technology as well as various Science subjects of a post-graduate level.
Purpose of GATE Exam:
- – The exam is conducted for admission to Master’s and Doctoral programs in Engineering/ Architecture/ Technology and various branches of Science.
- – Many Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) in India also select students for jobs on the basis of GATE score.
- – With the required GATE score, financial assistance in the form of Scholarships is also provided by the Ministry of Education (MoE) and other Government.
|Name of the Exam||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2021|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi|
|Mode of the Exam||Online|
|Number of Stages||One|
|GATE Online Registration||September 14 to 30, 2020|
|Exam Date||February 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, & 14, 2021|
|Total Subjects in GATE Syllabus 2021||27|
Conducting Body: GATE exam is jointly conducted by the Indian Institute of Science (IISC) Bangalore and one of the 7 Indian Institutes of Technology i.e. IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Roorkee. This year the GATE exam is organised by IIT.
Changes In GATE Exam 2021
Here are the changes that have been made in the GATE Exam this year:
- – Subjects of Humanities and Social Sciences have been included. Hence students from Arts and Commerce background can appear for GATE-2021 too.
- – Eligibility Criteria has been modified from 10+2+4 to10+2+3. This means, that students from 3rd year in Undergraduate Course can also apply for GATE 2021.
- – 2 more subjects have been added to this year. The new subjects are Environmental Science and Engineering AND Humanities and Social Sciences. Now there are a total of 27 subjects.
- – Candidates can appear either in ONE (like earlier years) or maximum TWO papers in GATE 2021.
GATE 2021 Exam Dates
Let us now look into the schedule for GATE 2021:
|GATE Official Website Live From||July 16, 2020|
|Beginning of Online Application Filling||September 14, 2020|
|Last Date to Apply and Submit the Application Fee||September 30, 2020|
|Last Date to Apply with Late Fee||October 7, 2020|
|Last Date to change category, paper & exam city |
(with an extra fee)
|November 13, 2020|
|Release of GATE Admit Card||January 8, 2021|
Forenoon: 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (Tentative)
Afternoon: 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM (Tentative)
|February 5, 2021|
February 6, 2021
February 7, 2021
February 12, 2021
February 13, 2021
February 14, 2021
|Announcement of GATE Results||March 22, 2021|
GATE Revised Eligibility Criteria
It is important to check out the GATE 2021 eligibility criteria before you fill-up the GATE application form and ensures you fulfil all of them:
- Age Limit: Ther is no age limit to attempt GATE exam.
- Nationality: Candidate must be an Indian national. Besides that, candidates from Ethiopia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, UAE and Singapore are also eligible for GATE.
- Pass Percentage: There are no minimum pass percentage criteria in the qualifying exam to apply for GATE.
- Educational Qualification: Anyone who has successfully completed 10+2+2 or 10+3+1 and currently in undergraduate 3rd year or higher years of study or graduated in any government-approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts.
GATE 2021 Application Form
Candidates can apply for the exam only through online mode. Here are the steps on how to apply for GATE:
- – 1st Step: Go to the official website – gate.iitb.ac.in
- – 2nd Step: Click on the link provided to apply for GATE 2021.
- – 3rd Step: Register yourself by providing your full name, valid email ID, mobile number, and password. After successful registration, candidates will be provided with an Enrollment ID. Log in using your enrollment ID and password.
- – 4th Step: Enter your Personal Details.
- – 5th Step: Provide your postal address along with the PIN code.
- – 6th Step: Enter your Academic Details.
- – 7th Step: Enter the name and address of your college along with the PIN code.
- – 8th Step: Enter the GATE subject (paper) you want to appear for and choice of exam cities.
- – 9th Step: Upload scanned images of your Photograph, Signature, Eligibility Certificate and other documents in the necessary format and size.
- – 10th Step: Make the payment of GATE application fees.
- – 11th Step: Submit your application
- – 12th Step: Take a print out of your GATE online application form for future reference.
Note: Candidates must produce the same photo ID proof submitted with the application during the examination for verification purposes.
GATE Application Fee
The GATE application form fee for various categories are tabulated below:
|Candidate Category||On or before the last date to apply||During the extended period (with late fee)|
|Female candidates||Rs 750||Rs 1,250|
|SC/ST/PwD category candidates||Rs 750||Rs 1,250|
|All other candidates||Rs 1,500||Rs 2,000|
GATE application fees can be paid only in the ONLINE mode, through Credit/Debit Cards and Net Banking.
Photograph And Signature Requirements For GATE 2021
The requirements of Photograph and Signature that are to be uploaded while filling up the online GATE application form are tabulated below:
|Description||Passport size colour photograph with a white background||Signature in black or dark blue ink on white paper|
|Dimension||3.5 cm width x 4.5 cm height||2 cm height x 7 cm width|
|Maximum Size||480 x 640 pixels (0.3 Megapixel)||160 x 560 pixels|
|Minimum Size||240 x 320 pixels||80 x 280 pixels|
Other Documents To Be Uploaded During GATE Registration
Candidates will also have to upload scanned copies of the following documents while filling up the online application form:
- Eligibility Certificate – Degree Certificate or Provisional Certificate or Certificate from the Head of the Department/Institute
- Category Certificate in PDF (if applicable)
- PwD Certificate in PDF (if applicable)
- Dyslexia Certificate in PDF (if applicable)
GATE 2021 Exam Pattern
GATE 2021 will be a computer-based multiple-choice question or MCQ-based exam. Candidates will have to answer 65 questions for a total of 100 marks within 3 hours. The exam consists of two sections.
|Mode of Exam||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Time Duration||3 hours|
|Number of Subjects (Papers)||27|
|Sections||General Aptitude (GA) + Candidate’s Selected Subject|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)|
Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
|Questions test these abilities||Recall, Comprehension, Application, Analysis and Synthesis|
|Number of Questions||10 (GA) + 55 (subject) = 65 Questions|
|Total Marks||100 marks|
|Distribution of Marks in all Papers except papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks + Subject Questions: 72 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Subject Questions: 85 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Marking Scheme||All of the questions will be of 1 mark or 2 marks|
There are two types of questions asked in GATE:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
Out of the 65 questions, 10 questions carrying 15 marks will be on General Aptitude (GA). The remaining 55 questions will be on Engineering Mathematics and the subject you have applied for.
GATE Detailed Marking Scheme
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Subject Marks|
|AE, AR, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, ES, EY, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, PE, PH, PI, TF, ST and BM||15||85|
|GG [Part A + Part B (Section 1 Geology OR Section 2 Geophysics)]||15||25 + 60|
|XE (Section A + Any TWO Sections)||15||15 + (2 x 35)|
|XH (Section B1 + Any ONE Section)||15||25 + (1 x 60)|
|XL (Section P + Any TWO Sections)||15||25 + (2 x 30)|
Total Marks and Total Time for every paper code (as stated above) is 100 marks and 180 minutes respectively.
There is negative marking in GATE 2021 Exam. 1/3rd of the mark allotted to a question will be deducted for the wrong answer. However, there are no negative marks for NAT questions.
GATE Syllabus 2021
- – This year, there are a total of 27 GATE Papers.
- (i) Environmental Science and Engineering
- (ii) Humanities and Social Sciences in Economics, English, Linguistics, Philosophy, Psychology, and Sociology.
- – Candidates can appear either in ONE (like earlier years) or maximum TWO papers in GATE 2021.
- – The second paper must be from the given set of combinations that have been provided below. Some branches may NOT get the second paper option.
GATE 2021 Admit Card
GATE Admit Card will be issued for candidates whose application form has been accepted. The GATE Admit Card / Hall Ticket will contain all the necessary information about the exam, like name of the candidate, GATE paper applied for, exam centre/venue, exam time, photograph and signature, other instructions, etc.
Candidates will have to log in to their account on the GOAPS by entering their Enrollment ID and Password to download their GATE Admit Card.
GATE Result 2021
The GATE result will be declared on the GOAPS website after the papers are evaluated and the scores calculated. To view the GATE result and download the GATE scorecard, candidates will have to enter their Enrollment ID and Password and login to their account.
GATE score will be calculated based on the actual marks secured by the candidate and normalizing it (for multi-session) papers. The Gate score is valid for a period of three years.
GATE 2021: Important Points To Note
- The online examination paper may contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using a virtual keypad. An on-screen virtual calculator will be provided for the same.
- The remaining questions will be:
- (i) Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type, where only one out of four options are correct
- (ii) Multiple Select Question (MSQ) type, where one or more out of four options are correct.
- Candidates must produce the same photo ID proof submitted with the application during the examination for verification purposes.
- Depending on the COVID-19 situation, the GATE 2021 exam schedule may change.
Social Distancing Measures To Be Followed In the Exam
This year due to Coronavirus, the most important guideline is to follow the social distancing measures.
- Candidates are advised to maintain distance with other candidates and invigilators inside and outside the exam hall.
- They must also bring their own items. Sharing of items can lead to the spread of the virus.
- Use of masks is mandatory. Candidates must also use sanitizer.
- One should report to the exam hall as per the reporting time.
- Candidates must also bring the GATE Admit Card in the exam hall and get the necessary signature from the invigilator on it.
Now that you know everything about GATE Notification 2021, check out the GATE syllabus of the paper you are appearing for as well as the GATE exam pattern. Then start your GATE preparation. Give your best shot and ace the exam.
FAQs Regarding GATE 2021 Exam
The frequently asked questions regarding GATE Exam are listed below:
Ans: Check out the detailed GATE 2021 exam eligibility criteria from here – CLICK HERE.
Ans: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Ans: No GATE 2021 exam is not compulsory for government jobs. But however, some of the recruitments such as PSU, ONGC, BHEL, NTPC, COAL India, etc., will recruit candidates based on their GATE scores. Also
Ans: A candidate can apply for one or two from the 27 papers. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate.
– The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
– The candidate is, however, free to choose any other paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
Ans. GATE results are usually declared in March every year.
We hope this detailed article on GATE 2021 Exam helps you. If you have any query, feel free to drop a comment below. We will definitely help you out.671 Views