GATE Notification 2020 will be conducted by the officials of IIT Delhi. The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an exam conducted every year to evaluate the knowledge and understanding of candidates in various undergraduate subjects of Engineering/Architecture/Technology as well as various Science subjects of a post-graduate level. The exam is conducted for admission to Master’s and Doctoral programs in Engineering / Architecture / Technology as well as Doctoral programs in various branches of Science. Even many Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) in India recruit through GATE. The exam is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and one of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT).
This year, IIT Delhi is going to conduct the examination. The online registration for GATE 2020 registration is scheduled from 3rd September to 24th September 2019. Candidates must have a clear knowledge of all the aspects of the exam, like eligibility criteria, important dates, how to apply, etc. In this article, we will provide you with all the necessary information regarding GATE Notification 2020. Read on to find out.
GATE Notification 2020 – Overview
Before getting into the details of GATE Notification 2020, let’s have an overview of this exam:
|Name of the Exam||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2020|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi|
|Purpose of the Exam||1. Admission to Master’s and Doctoral programs in Engineering/Architecture/Technology
2. Admission to Doctoral programs in Science branches
3. Recruitment in PSUs
|Mode of the Exam||Online|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Number of Stages||One|
|Time Duration||3 hours|
|Number of Subjects for which GATE 2020 will be Conducted||25|
GATE Notification 2020 – Important Dates
Let us now look into the schedule for GATE 2020:
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||3rd September 2019|
|Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||24th September 2019|
|Extended Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||1st October 2019|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City (an additional fee will be applicable)||15th November 2019|
|Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal (for printing)||3rd January 2020|
|GATE 2020 Examination
Forenoon: 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (Tentative)
Afternoon: 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM (Tentative)
|1st February 2020
2nd February 2020
8th February 2020
9th February 2020
|Announcement of the Results in the Online Application Portal||16th March 2020|
GATE Notification 2020: GATE Eligibility Criteria
It is important to check out the GATE 2020 eligibility criteria before you fill-up the GATE application form and ensures you fulfil all of them:
- Age Limit: Ther is no age limit to attempt GATE exam.
- Nationality: Candidate must be an Indian national. Besides that, candidates from Ethiopia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, UAE and Singapore are also eligible for GATE.
- Pass Percentage: There is no minimum pass percentage criteria in the qualifying exam to apply for GATE.
- Educational Qualification: All the candidates must have passed their respective qualifying exams or can be in the final year of the course except for few courses.
The list of eligible qualifying exams are as follows:
GATE Notification 2020: GATE Application Form
GATE 2020 application process was scheduled between 3rd September to 24th September 2020. Candidates can apply for the exam only through online mode. Let’s go through the steps involved in the application process:
- Step 1: Go to the official website – gate.iitd.ac.in
- Step 2: Click on the link provided to apply for GATE 2020.
- Step 3: Register yourself by providing your full name, valid email ID, mobile number, and password. After successful registration, candidates will be provided with an Enrollment ID. Log in using your enrollment ID and password.
- Step 4: Enter your Personal Details.
- Step 5: Provide your postal address along with PIN code.
- Step 6: Enter your Academic Details.
- Step 7: Enter the name and address of your college along with PIN code.
- Step 8: Enter the GATE subject (paper) you want to appear for and choice of exam cities.
- Step 9: Upload scanned images of your Photograph, Signature, Eligibility Certificate and other documents in the necessary format and size.
- Step 10: Make payment of GATE application fees.
- Step 11: Submit your application
- Step 12: Take a print out of your GATE online application form for future reference.
GATE Application Fee 2020
The GATE application form fee for various categories are tabulated below:
|Female Candidates||Rs 750
|Scheduled Caste (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) / Person with Disability (PwD)||Rs 750
|Other Candidates||Rs 1500
GATE application fees can be paid only in the ONLINE mode, through Credit/Debit Cards and Net Banking.
Photograph And Signature Requirements For GATE 2020
The requirements of Photograph and Signature that are to be uploaded while filling up the online GATE application form are tabulated below:
|Description||Passport size (3.5 cm width x 4.5 cm height) colour photograph taken after 1st August 2018 with a white background||Signature in black or dark blue ink on white paper (2 cm height x 7 cm width)|
|Maximum Size||480 x 640 pixels (0.3 Megapixel)||160 x 560 pixels|
|Minimum Size||240 x 320 pixels||80 x 280 pixels|
Other Documents To Be Uploaded During GATE Registration
Candidates will also have to upload scanned copies of the following documents while filling up the online application form:
- Eligibility Certificate – Degree Certificate or Provisional Certificate or Certificate from the Head of the Department/Institute
- Category Certificate in PDF (if applicable)
- PwD Certificate in PDF (if applicable)
- Dyslexia Certificate in PDF (if applicable)
GATE Notification 2020: GATE Exam Pattern
Candidates must have a clear idea about the GATE exam pattern. GATE exam for all papers consists of 65 questions. The time duration for the exam is 3 hours and the maximum marks is 100.
There are two types of questions asked in GATE:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
Out of the 65 questions, 10 questions carrying 15 marks will be on General Aptitude (GA). The remaining 55 questions will be on Engineering Mathematics and the subject you have applied for.
There is negative marking in GATE 2020. 1/3rd of the mark allotted to a question will be deducted for wrong answer. However, there is no negative marks for NAT questions.
GATE Notification 2020: GATE Admit Card
GATE Admit Card will be issued for candidates whose application form has been accepted. The GATE Admit Card / Hall Ticket will contain all the necessary information about the exam, like name of the candidate, GATE paper applied for, exam center/venue, exam time, photograph and signature, other instructions, etc.
Candidates will have to login to their account on the GOAPS by entering their Enrollment ID and Password to download their GATE Admit Card.
GATE Notification 2020: GATE Score
The GATE score will be calculated based on the actual marks secured by the candidate and normalizing it (for multi-session) papers. The Gate score is valid for a period of three years.
GATE Notification 2020: GATE Result
The GATE result will be declared on the GOAPS website after the papers are evaluated and the scores calculated. To view the GATE result and download the GATE scorecard, candidates will have to enter their Enrollment ID and Password and login to their account.
Now that you know everything about GATE Notification 2020, check out the GATE syllabus of the paper you are appearing for as well as the GATE exam pattern. Then start your GATE preparation. Give your best shot and ace the exam.
FAQs Regarding GATE 2020 Exam
The frequently asked questions regarding GATE 2020 Exam are listed below:
Q. Who is eligible for GATE 2020 Exam?
A. Check out the detailed GATE 2020 exam eligibility criteria from here – CLICK HERE.
Q. Why is the GATE exam for?
A. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Q. Is GATE compulsory for government jobs?
A. No GATE 2020 exam is not compulsory for government jobs. But however, some of the recruitments such as PSU, ONGC, BHEL, NTPC, COAL India etc., will recruit candidates based on their GATE scores.
Q. For how many GATE papers can I apply?
A candidate can apply for only one of the 25 papers. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate.
- The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
- The candidate is, however, free to choose any other paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
We hope this detailed article on GATE Notification helps you. If you have any query, feel free to drop a comment below. We will definitely help you out.