GATE Syllabus For ECE 2020: GATE 2020 syllabus for Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) branch will be released by the officials of IIT Delhi in the month of September 2019. GATE ECE aspirants must be aware of the GATE syllabus for ECE in order to start their preparation. The GATE 2020 syllabus for ECE is almost the same as the 3rd to 6th semester ECE syllabus. So, candidates who have finished their engineering syllabus properly can easily crack the GATE 2020 examination.
GATE 2020 for ECE consists of 3 sections – General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and Subject-specific section. The GATE syllabus for ECE subject-specific section covers topics from Networks, Signals and Systems, Electronic Devices, Analog Circuits, Digital Circuits, Control Systems, Communications, and Electromagnetic. In this article, we will provide you with the GATE syllabus for ECE for all these subjects. Also, we have included the expected topic-wise weightage. Read on to find out everything about GATE syllabus for Electronics and Communications Engineering (ECE).
GATE Syllabus For ECE 2020
Before getting into the details of GATE 2020 syllabus for ECE, let’s have an overview of the exam:
|Mode of Exam||Online (Computer-based mode)|
|Time Duration||3 hours|
|Question type||MCQ and NAT (Numerical Answer Type)|
|Negative Marking||Only for MCQ’s: 1/3rd for 1-mark questions, 2/3rd for 2 marks questions|
GATE Syllabus For ECE 2020 PDF Download
As discussed GATE 2020 syllabus for ECE has 3 sections and the EC syllabus for all the three sections are given below. Also, aspirants can download the GATE Syllabus for ECE PDF for free here.
GATE 2020 Syllabus For ECE – General Aptitude
This section includes questions based on Verbal Ability and Numerical Ability. The different topics included in the GATE syllabus for General Aptitude are as under:
- English grammar,
- Sentence completion,
- Verbal analogies,
- Word groups,
- Critical reasoning and
- Verbal deduction.
- Numerical computation,
- Numerical estimation,
- Numerical reasoning and
- Data interpretation.
GATE 2020 Syllabus For ECE – Engineering Mathematics
The GATE ECE syllabus for Engineering Mathematics is as under:
- Linear Algebra: Vector space, basis, linear dependence and independence, matrix algebra, eigen values and eigen vectors, rank, solution of linear equations – existence and uniqueness.
- Calculus: Mean value theorems, theorems of integral calculus, evaluation of definite and improper integrals, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, multiple integrals, line, surface and volume integrals, Taylor series.
- Differential Equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear), higher order linear differential equations, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, methods of solution using variation of parameters, complementary function and particular integral, partial differential equations, variable separable method, initial and boundary value problems.
- Vector Analysis: Vectors in plane and space, vector operations, gradient, divergence and curl, Gauss’s, Green’s and Stoke’s theorems.
- Complex Analysis: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem, Cauchy’s integral formula; Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, residue theorem.
- Numerical Methods: Solution of nonlinear equations, single and multi-step methods for differential equations, convergence criteria.
- Probability and Statistics: Mean, median, mode and standard deviation; combinatorial probability, probability distribution functions – binomial, Poisson, exponential and normal; Joint and conditional probability; Correlation and regression analysis.
GATE Syllabus For ECE 2020 – Subject Specific Section
GATE ECE Syllabus For Networks, Signals and Systems
- a. Network solution methods: nodal and mesh analysis; Network theorems: superposition, Thevenin and Norton’s, maximum power transfer; Wye‐Delta transformation; Steady state sinusoidal analysis using phasors; Time domain analysis of simple linear circuits; Solution of network equations using Laplace transform; Frequency domain analysis of RLC circuits; Linear 2‐port network parameters: driving point and transfer functions; State equations for networks.
- b. Continuous-time signals: Fourier series and Fourier transform representations, sampling theorem and applications; Discrete-time signals: discrete-time Fourier transform (DTFT), DFT, FFT, Z-transform, interpolation of discrete-time signals; LTI systems: definition and properties, causality, stability, impulse response, convolution, poles and zeros, parallel and cascade structure, frequency response, group delay, phase delay, digital filter design techniques.
GATE ECE Syllabus For Electronic Devices
Energy bands in intrinsic and extrinsic silicon; Carrier transport: diffusion current, drift current, mobility and resistivity; Generation and recombination of carriers; Poisson and continuity equations; P-N junction, Zener diode, BJT, MOS capacitor, MOSFET, LED, photo diode and solar cell; Integrated circuit fabrication process: oxidation, diffusion, ion implantation, photolithography and twin-tub CMOS process.
GATE ECE Syllabus For Analog Circuits
Small signal equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTs and MOSFETs; Simple diode circuits: clipping, clamping and rectifiers; Single-stage BJT and MOSFET amplifiers: biasing, bias stability, mid-frequency small signal analysis and frequency response; BJT and MOSFET amplifiers: multi-stage, differential, feedback, power and operational; Simple op-amp circuits; Active filters; Sinusoidal oscillators: criterion for oscillation, single-transistor and opamp configurations; Function generators, wave-shaping circuits and 555 timers; Voltage reference circuits; Power supplies: ripple removal and regulation.
GATE ECE Syllabus For Digital Circuits
Number systems; Combinatorial circuits: Boolean algebra, minimization of functions using Boolean identities and Karnaugh map, logic gates and their static CMOS implementations, arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers, decoders and PLAs; Sequential circuits: latches and flip‐flops, counters, shift‐registers and finite state machines; Data converters: sample and hold circuits, ADCs and DACs; Semiconductor memories: ROM, SRAM, DRAM; 8-bit microprocessor (8085): architecture, programming, memory and I/O interfacing.
GATE ECE Syllabus For Control Systems
Basic control system components; Feedback principle; Transfer function; Block diagram representation; Signal flow graph; Transient and steady-state analysis of LTI systems; Frequency response; Routh-Hurwitz and Nyquist stability criteria; Bode and root-locus plots; Lag, lead and lag-lead compensation; State variable model and solution of state equation of LTI systems.
GATE ECE Syllabus For Communications
Random processes: autocorrelation and power spectral density, properties of white noise, filtering of random signals through LTI systems; Analog communications: amplitude modulation and demodulation, angle modulation and demodulation, spectra of AM and FM, superheterodyne receivers, circuits for analog communications; Information theory: entropy, mutual information and channel capacity theorem; Digital communications: PCM, DPCM, digital modulation schemes, amplitude, phase and frequency shift keying (ASK, PSK, FSK), QAM, MAP and ML decoding, matched filter receiver, calculation of bandwidth, SNR and BER for digital modulation; Fundamentals of error correction, Hamming codes; Timing and frequency synchronization, inter-symbol interference and its mitigation; Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA.
GATE ECE Syllabus For Electromagnetics
Electrostatics; Maxwell’s equations: differential and integral forms and their interpretation, boundary conditions, wave equation, Poynting vector; Plane waves and properties: reflection and refraction, polarization, phase and group velocity, propagation through various media, skin depth; Transmission lines: equations, characteristic impedance, impedance matching, impedance transformation, S-parameters, Smith chart; Waveguides: modes, boundary conditions, cut-off frequencies, dispersion relations; Antennas: antenna types, radiation pattern, gain and directivity, return loss, antenna arrays; Basics of radar; Light propagation in optical fibers.
GATE Syllabus For ECE With Weightage
GATE Subject Wise Weightage for ECE 2020 is given below:
Weightage in Marks
|2||Electronics Devices & Circuits||7.25|
|5||Signal & Systems||9|
Now you are provided all the necessary information regarding GATE syllabus for ECE. We hope this detailed article helps you. If you have any query regarding this article on GATE syllabus for ECE, reach out to us through the comment section below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Stay tuned to embibe.com for more updates and news on GATE Syllabus For ECE.22608 Views