Mechanical Engineering: Mechanical Engineering is one of the oldest, yet popular fields of engineering. The general idea in mechanical engineering is to impart basic understanding and knowledge of how heavy tools and machinery work. Mechanical Engineering deals with the design, construction, repair, and modification of machines. Students are taught all aspects of machines – from fluid mechanics to thermodynamics, kinematics, and even robotics are taught in this field of engineering.
From building a small part of any machine to building large machines, mechanical engineers play a big role in the industrial and technological development of the modern era. Mechanical engineering is an ever-evolving and dynamic field. Every aspect of our lives in the modern world is affected by machines, thus mechanical engineers have a great career scope. This article will give you detailed information about Mechanical Engineering, like details of the course, eligibility criteria, popular colleges and exams, career opportunities, salary, etc. Read on to find out.
Mechanical Engineering Course Details
Mechanical Engineering is one of the core engineering branches. Most of the engineering colleges in India offer B.E/B.Tech course in Mechanical Engineering. However, in order to get the best education and training, it is always better to pursue the course from one of the top engineering colleges in India. Mechanical engineering is an extremely technical branch of engineering. Hence, it is important that students aim to get themselves enrolled in one of the best colleges in the country.
In order to get into one of the IITs or NITs, you need to compete with lakhs of other students and secure a high rank in the entrance exams of the respective institutes. To get admission in NITs, candidates must crack JEE Main with a high score. For admission to the prestigious IITs, you need to crack JEE Main and then JEE Advanced and secure top rank.
You can pursue the following courses in Mechanical Engineering:
- BE/B.Tech (Mechanical Engineering): At least 75% marks in 10 + 2 along with the high score in JEE Advanced is a must to take admission to a top college in India.
- ME/M.tech (Mechanical Engineering): It is necessary to score at least 60% in graduation and a top score in GATE to qualify for admissions in top Indian institutes.
- Doctorate (Mechanical Engineering): If you want to go for Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, having the same background is very important. Also, there are various selection procedures for various universities.
- Diploma Courses: You can also go for Diploma Course in Mechanical engineering after your Class 10 board exams. Diploma Courses are designed to provide you with some special information about the field you chose.
Mechanical Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
Given below are the general eligibility criteria to pursue a mechanical engineering program at the UG and PG level:
|Undergraduate||Passed Class 12 exam from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects. Minimum 60% marks.|
|Postgraduate||B.Tech degree in the same specialization with minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% of marks or First Class in the qualifying degree.|
Minimum qualifying marks in GATE ME.
Subjects & Topics In Mechanical Engineering
A list of subjects/topics of mechanical engineering taught at UG level is given below:
- Engineering Math
- Engineering Physics
- Elements of Mechanical Engineering
- Engineering Physics Lab
- Engineering Chemistry
- Basic Thermodynamics.
- Mechanics of Materials.
- Manufacturing Process.
- Foundry and Forging Lab/ Machine Shop
- Metallography & Material Testing Lab/ Mechanical
- Measurements and Metrology
- Energy Engineering
- Turbo Machines.
- Heat and Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Finite Elements Method.
- Hydraulic and Pneumatics
- CAMA Lab
- Control Engineering
- CIM and Automation Technology
- Design Laboratory
- Computer Integrating Manufacturing
- Fluid Mechanics Machinery Laboratory
- Energy Conversion Engineering Laboratory
- Operation Research
- Material Science and Metallurgy/ Mechanical
- Applied Thermodynamics
- Nontraditional Machining
- Gas Dynamics
- Statistical Quality Control
- Fracture Mechanics
- Nano Technology
- BioMass Energy System
- Machine Tool Design
- Design of Experiments
- Foundry Technology
- Power Plant Engineering
- Computer Graphics
- Agile Manufacturing
- Artificial Intelligence
- Database Management System
- Micro and Smart System Technology
- Industrial Engineering and Ergonomics
- Design for Manufacturing and Assembly
- Product Life Cycle Management
- Organizational Behavior
A list of subjects/topics of mechanical engineering taught at PG level is as under:
- Mechanical Design
- Micro Electric Mechanical System
- Structural Analysis
- Computer-aided Design and Manufacturing
- Production Engineering
- Turbomachinery and Combustion Systems
- Mechatronics and Robotics
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Acoustics
- Rapid Prototyping
- Thermodynamics and Thermo Science
- Automobile Engineering
Mechanical Engineering Entrance Exams
A list of the top engineering entrance exams in India is provided underneath:
|JEE Main||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|BITSAT||Birla Institute of Technology and Science|
|KIITEE||Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT)|
|COMEDK UGET||The Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka|
|MHT CET||Maharashtra State Common Entrance Test Cell|
Mechanical Engineering Colleges
Given below is a list of some of the best colleges for mechanical engineering:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology BHU, Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- National Institute of Technology, Trichy
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore
Mechanical Engineering Fees
A general fee structure for UG courses in mechanical engineering (in India) is tabulated below:
|Colleges||Fee (in INR)|
1.83 L (average)
6.85 L (maximum)
2.82 L (average)
24.8 L (maximum)
A general fee structure for PG courses in mechanical engineering (in India) is tabulated below:
|Colleges||Fee (in INR)|
1.21 L (average)
2.63 L (maximum)
1.80 L (average)
8.04 L (maximum)
Scope & Career Opportunities In Mechanical Engineering
In a nutshell, mechanical engineers are experts who create new machines or repair old machines. The post of a mechanical engineer is an important one. There is a huge scope for mechanical engineers all across the world. A mechanical engineer can pursue his career in various sectors of engineering like the aerospace sector, aviation sector, railway sector, construction sector, automobile sector, marine industry, defense industry, weapon industry, etc.
A mechanical engineer can be offered one of the following job roles:
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Materials Engineers
- Mechanical Engineering Technicians
- Nuclear Engineers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Nuclear Engineers
- Production Engineering
- Automobile Engineer
- Design Engineer
Top Recruiters For Mechanical Engineering Students In India
Given below is a list of government companies that hire mechanical engineers in India:
- BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited)
- HPCL (Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited)
- DRDO (Defense Research & Development Organization)
- IOCL (Indian Oil Corporation Limited)
- NHPC (National Hydroelectric Power Corporation)
- GAIL (Gas Authority of India Limited)
- COAL India
- ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation)
- ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization)
- SCI (Shipping Corporation of India)
A list of private companies that offer jobs to mechanical engineers in India is given below:
- TATA Group
- Larsen & Toubro
- Godrej Group
- Ashok Leyland
- General Motors
- Mahindra & Mahindra
FAQs On Mechanical Engineering
Some of the frequently asked questions on Mechanical Engineering are as follows:
A1. IITs are the best option for mechanical engineering in India. Among them, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, and IIT Kanpur are considered the best.
A2. The average fee for the course can vary from 1 lakh to 6 lakhs in India. It can be more if you choose some private college with a good reputation.
A3. The average pay scale for a mechanical engineering fresher in India is 3.5 L per annum.
A3. For B.E/B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering, students must have passed the Class 12 exam from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects with a minimum of 60% marks.
A5. Most of the colleges in India accept admission in mechanical engineering courses through JEE.
Students can prepare for engineering entrance exams like JEE on Embibe for free. At Embibe, you can find unlimited questions of various difficulty levels as well as detailed solutions. Take JEE Main Mock Tests for free and test the level of your preparation. There are also innumerable free JEE Main Practice Questions available on Embibe.
If you have any queries, put them in the comment section below. We shall get back to you as soon as possible.
Stay tuned to embibe.com for the latest news and updates.2078 Views