Petroleum Engineering: Petroleum Engineering deals with every activity related to any gas or minerals being extracted from the underground. This branch of Engineering trains engineers to design suitable equipment for mineral and crude oil extraction or extraction of fuel from the raw materials. Engineers in this sector learn to work with chemicals and to use different resources to extract the desired fuel or gases from the natural sources. This field provides not only hard-working job opportunities but also the thrill of working in remote locations like desert or sea, etc.
Some of the tasks and duties undertaken by Petroleum Engineers are as follows:
- Design and modify equipment for drilling and extraction of oil and gas.
- Provide support in the installation, operation, and maintenance of equipment.
- Create plans and processes for effective drilling of oil drill fields.
- Coordinate with geoscientists and analyze the extraction sites for risk factors like the probability of an earthquake.
- Analyze the data and conduct surveys of extraction sites.
- Oversee the extraction sites and monitor the extraction process.
- Develop blueprints, maps, and reports for the drilling process.
What Is Petroleum Engineering?
Petroleum Engineering is all about designing and creating processes to extract oil and gas from the reservoirs below the earth’s surface. This field covers all aspects related to crude oil and gas like their extraction, processing, refinement, types of byproducts, methods involved, devices and equipment, etc.
Under this branch of Engineering, students study topics like processes involved in the examination, extraction, and transit of crude oil. Petrol (or gasoline) is the primary product of crude oil extraction. Along with petrol, various other products like diesel, heavy fuel oil, jet fuel, liquified petroleum gas, kerosene, asphalt, etc. are also extracted. Petroleum Engineering also covers the extraction, refining, and usage of these products.
Petroleum Engineering Course Details
In India, Petroleum Engineering courses are available at 4 main stages:
- Graduation Courses: To become eligible for admission into graduate courses, candidates must clear 10+2 with the PCM background. This level of the course mainly introduces candidates with theoretical knowledge of the course.
- Postgraduation Courses: To become eligible for admission into postgraduate courses, a candidate must finish his/her graduation (either BE or B.Tech) course with the same background with a good score and must qualify in GATE.
- Diploma Courses: Diploma courses are designed to provide specialized knowledge that is not included in regular courses. The duration of diploma courses mainly varies from 6 months to 3 years.
- Doctorate (PhD) course: PhD courses provide practical expertise to the candidates. A candidate for a doctorate course is supposed to do the research on the applications of his topic and maintain a detailed thesis.
Fields covered by Petroleum Engineering Courses in India
- Reservoir Engineering
- Drilling Engineering
- Completion Engineering
- Production Engineering
Petroleum Engineering Eligibility Criteria
Given below are the general eligibility criteria to pursue a Petroleum Engineering program at the UG and PG level:
|Undergraduate||Passed Class 12 exam from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects. Minimum 60% marks.|
|Postgraduate||BE/B.Tech degree in the same specialization with minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% of marks or First Class in the qualifying degree.|
Minimum qualifying marks in GATE.
Subjects & Topics In Petroleum Engineering
Usually, all branches of Engineering follow the same syllabus for the first 2 semesters. Any variation in the syllabus of graduation courses occurs from the third semester of the respective university or the institute.
A list of subjects/topics of Petroleum Engineering taught at UG level is given below:
- Drilling fluids and cement
- Drilling technology
- Geologies for Petroleum Engineering practical
- Humanities and social sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Numerical and statistical methods
- Petroleum production operations
- Elements of reservoir Engineering
- Managerial economics
- Surveying practical
- Applied Petroleum reservoir Engineering and management
- Petroleum production operations
- Sedimentary and Petroleum geology practical
- Reservoir fluid thermodynamics
- Transportation and marketing of Petroleum and Petroleum products
- Drilling system design
- Oil and gas well testing
- Offshore drilling and Petroleum production practices
- Health safety and the environment in the Petroleum industry
- Oil and gas processing system design
- Enhanced oil recovery techniques
- Deep-Sea production system
A list of subjects/topics of Petroleum Engineering taught at PG level is as under:
- Oil and gas property evaluation, economics and risk analysis
- Fluid flow through porous media
- Oil and Gas field development and planning
- Advanced numerical methods and applied statistics
- Petroleum environment, health, and safety practices
- Multilateral and horizontal well technology
- Well servicing
- Advanced well completion practices
- Drilling system design
- Well intervention, workover and stimulation techniques
- Well performance & artificial lift techniques
- Integrated reservoir management
- Oil and gas marketing and resource management
- Petroleum reservoir modeling and simulation
- Oil and gas processing plant design
- Deepwater technology
- Carbon capture and sequestration
- Advanced Petroleum formation evaluation
Note: The above topics are taken from the official website of IIT (ISM), Dhanbad. Course may vary as per the university or institute you chose to apply for.
Petroleum Engineering Entrance Exams
A list of the top engineering entrance exams in India is provided underneath:
|JEE Main||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|BITSAT||Birla Institute of Technology and Science|
|UPES DAT||University of Petroleum and Energy Studies|
|MHT CET||Maharashtra State Common Entrance Test Cell|
Top Colleges For Petroleum Engineering
The best colleges for Petroleum Engineering are as under:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Dhanbad
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology, Uttar Pradesh
- University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun
- Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune
- M.S Engineering College, Bangalore
- L.D College Of Engineering, Ahmedabad
- G.H Patel College Of Engineering, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat
Petroleum Engineering Admission Fee
An estimate of the fee for UG courses in Petroleum Engineering (in India) is tabulated below:
|Colleges||Fee (in INR)|
|Government/Public||3.2 L (minimum)|
6.4 L (average)
9.73 L (maximum)
4.60 L (average)
12.42 L (maximum)
An estimate of the fee for PG courses in Petroleum Engineering (in India) is tabulated below:
|Colleges||Fee (in INR)|
|Government/Public||2.99 L (minimum)|
4.19 L (average)
5.57 L (maximum)
2.56 L (average)
5.57 L (maximum)
Scope & Career Opportunities In Petroleum Engineering
Petroleum Engineering has a good scope in the country as India is rich in minerals and natural gases. During the course, students learn about the various ways of extracting oil, designing machines for oil extractor industries, uses of natural gases, and procedures of converting raw gases and materials into useful products. Engineers in this field can either work for a petrol importer company or for the industries which work on crude oil-based products. These engineers are responsible for providing fuels made of crude oils to various industries.
The main job opportunity is as an engineer in a Petroleum Refinery. There are a number of private as well as government refineries. Some big Petroleum refineries in India are – Reliance Refinery (Jamnagar), Essar (Jamnagar), Cochin Refinery, etc. One may also become an engineer in government enterprises such as ONGC and OIL.
Top Recruiters For Petroleum Engineering Students in India
Given below is a list of companies that hire Petroleum Engineers in India along with the average salary package offered:
|Recruiters||Average Package (in INR)|
Note: The data mentioned above is taken from Glassdoor. It can vary as per the experience or location of the candidates.
FAQs On Petroleum Engineering
Some of the frequently asked questions on Petroleum Engineering are as follows:
A1. The purpose of PhD courses is to provide expertise in the respective field of the candidate. Pursuing PhD in Petroleum Engineering is best if your career goal is to become a mentor or senior researcher or scientist. In India, PhD opens various fields of job opportunities with a good pay scale.
A2. Petroleum Engineering is a course that can provide you with good jobs in India or some other countries as well. Gulf countries generally hire people and pay them good who got expertise in Petroleum Engineering. As the gulf countries are rich in crude oil and fuel, they always provide many job opportunities. Apart from that, to maintain international relations of export and import, especially if it’s about hydrocarbons like crude oil or natural gases, Petroleum engineers are preferred.
A3. Some major tasks of a Petroleum engineer include designing and building oil extraction mechanisms, total quality management, and cost reduction, regular checks and maintenance of industrial machines, surveying wells and searching for new oil extraction points, etc.
A4. Reservoir Engineering is all about locating the fuels and its sources through various machines. It’s about applying principles and formulas to extract the hydrocarbons at the optimum level. It’s also about using advanced technologies to imaging an oil and natural gas reserve point.
This was all about Petroleum Engineering. If you choose to pursue this field as your career then make sure that you are really passionate about it and ready to face the challenges which can come in your way. Also, going for a top Petroleum Engineering college will be a better option for fast career growth.
At Embibe, you can find unlimited JEE Main Practice Questions and questions for UG engineering entrance exams of various difficulty levels as well as detailed solutions. Take JEE Main Mock Tests for free and test the level of your preparation.
We hope our article on Petroleum Engineering was helpful for you. In case you have any queries or feedback to share, please drop a comment below. We shall get back to you as soon as possible.
Stay tuned to embibe.com for the latest news and updates.1242 Views