When schools across the world are temporarily closed due to pandemic COVID19, the teachers have switched to remote teaching platforms so that their students do not miss their regular classes. The adoption of remote teaching strategies has become a new normal in this pandemic situation. The remote learning is helping teachers and students connect with each other for effective teaching and learning experience.
There are many technological tools available for remote learning that eases the teaching process for all educators. But along with all this, sometimes teachers do face some challenges in imparting quality education to all the students. The challenges are faced due to lack of internet and computer facilities for the students. But still teachers have not given up their passion in teaching during this pandemic. Let us discuss how remote teaching has helped optimizing learners’ experience.
How remote teaching has become new normal in COVID19 era?
We all know that as the schools were closed due to the COVID19, all the teachers stood up for the next best option for engaging students for their effective learning. Most of the teachers are interacting and teaching virtually through video calling. Remote teaching has become immensely popular among teachers during the pandemic. And you must know how to maximize your teaching abilities for better learning outcomes. Here are a few things that can help teachers in remote teaching.
- Make sure that you do not convert your lectures with only videos. Try to give them some task for self-learning
- All the time you need not use a live conference call for all the topics. Sometimes you cannot rely on videos as some of the platforms can crash or become overloaded.
- You can give a set of links for your students to read based on their interest. And always ask what they expect from the course and how can you deliver to them.
- You can engage students during the lecture by conducting a quiz so that you know whether they have understood the concept or not.
- You have to support the students who are a bit slow in learning. Make sure that they have access to the internet or wifi connection to their devices. And keep checking progress or concerns for all the students through calls, text, or email.
We must understand that remote teaching strategies are effective only when we are engaged and focused. In the remote learning environment, curriculum is modified based on the interest of the student. According to the Researcher at the University of Peking stated that ‘online sessions between 15 to 30 minutes are most effective.’
Teachers should understand that it is not just a remote teaching but it is happening during the pandemic. Due to this, all kinds of emotions will be developed among the students such as anxiety, fear, nervousness, isolation etc. And you should make sure that they have been connected well enough through chats and calls during remote classes. According to UNICEF, students should stay in contact with their peers and friends which is psychologically important during this crisis.
And the most important thing that teachers should make sure that all the students have access to devices and internet facilities for effective communication and learning. There are many students who lack behind due to the unavailability of devices which is the biggest gap in their education during a pandemic. Schools and parents should ensure that all the resources necessary during the lockdowns should be arranged for their effective learning.
You must find different ways to teach remotely so that students do not lose valuable learning phases. Due to the COVID19 crisis, many schools have been shut and millions of students are not able to go to schools. Here are a few other ways to handle remote teaching during the lockdown period.
- Engage – We know that making students sit in front of the screen for long hours can lead to distraction and isolation. You need to engage students by interacting with them about what they are learning.
- Assessing – Frequent assessment can help students to know their progress away from the schools. Try to ask questions in the middle of the session in the group interaction and reveal the results. There are multiple tools that help in conducting quizzes with an auto-grading system and allow students to showcase their projects or assignments through presentations, docs or any sites.
- Connecting – Sometimes students miss their school and their learning. You can connect with them virtually to maintain comfort feeling and safety during this time. There are many tools where you can connect for lectures, discussions, interactions for their better learning experiences
Prerequisites for Effective Remote Teaching Strategies
It is important for us to understand the current situation. And ensure all the necessary things required for effective teaching and learning experience. Here are a few important things to be kept in mind during remote teaching.
- Focus on pedagogy and learning than technology
- Teachers with experience, skill and expertise in all the online tools
- All the tools should be in policy of school e-safety
- It is important to collect all the contacts so that there is more interaction during remote learning. You can connect your students and their friends by running a chat group. This can motivate students and develop an interest in remote learning
- Encourage students to deliver topics of their interest. You can ask them to pick a topic from the content and teach or give seminars to the rest of the class.
- It does not require any software other than an internet connection. You can help students develop computer skills as well as effective learning.
Important steps to set up Remote Teaching for Students
- Create a location for communications with students – You can create a location for communication and update the information related to students and their parents. And utilize online tools for updating information related to study plans, instructions, submission of assignments, reminders, teachers’ contact information and their availability. Also, use group chats or text messages to send quick reminders.
- Sending study materials – You can send digitized resources such as texts, videos, podcasts, images, etc so that they have an idea about the background information of the learning activities. The resources can be sent to individual students or in groups
- Create tutorials – Sometimes if you’re not able to virtually discuss lessons to your students, record short videos that can be shared via email. In this case, you need not be physically present for the classroom and at the same time, you can engage students for their learning. You can use tools or mobile cameras. for recording video and voice-overs.
- Encourage students for collaboration – You should encourage students to share and discuss ideas related to their lessons or any general topic. And making sure that all the students should work together and discuss each other’s work. Design assignments and projects in such a way that it is easy for students to use online tools and share the documents.
- Provide personalized support and feedback – We know that all the students are not in the same group of learning styles. Sometimes few students need an extra push for better learning outcomes. You have to provide personal guidance to such students related to subjects, online tools, resources, tests, etc. Communicate with them either by video call or chat and ask what kind of learning style will interest them, which topic is more challenging, asking them questions on their lessons and availability of resources, etc.
- Create opportunities for learning activities – You can think of projects or assignments that students can complete at home related to their subjects. They can involve themselves in creating and innovating ideas and implementing them in the activities
- Assessing students – Students can submit their assignments using online tools and can assess them using an automated grading system. There are many tools that can be used by students for creating their assignments and projects more efficiently.
Optimizing Learner’s Experience through Remote Teaching Strategies
We all know that in this critical situation of COVID19, teachers are really working hard to deliver content and continue the education needed for their students. But sometimes it becomes challenging for teachers to connect and support students. Unplanned online teaching can cause some challenges related to accessing computers to high-speed internet and supporting students physically, socially and emotionally. To overcome these challenges, you need to plan and build effective strategies for optimizing your student learning experience. Remote teaching can become successful with proper planning and implementation for a better learning experience.
You must understand the technical and non-technical aspects of remote teaching. Let’s look into some of the strategies that can be implemented for effective remote teaching.
- Use online tools that are familiar to you and your students
- Establish a digital base at home with computers, microphones, internet connection, online tools for planning and implementation of remote teaching
- Understand the communication platform such as file and screen sharing, interactive whiteboards, messaging tools, remote annotations, assessment tools etc.
- Organize yourself and materials for remote teaching. Make sure that the resources for the learning should be easy to access. Students might feel frustrated if they do not get the proper resources for their learning. You have to create a file and folder for resources mentioning each class, batch, titles for their effective learning. Utilize google drives or clouds for storing files and folders.
- It is important for you to understand the platform your using and familiarize yourself with the technology.
- Your have to make sure that course, learning activities and assignments are aligned with the curriculum
- Ensure that your course is well planned
- Consider the course content and look for opportunities and obstacles that can be encountered during the course
- List down the important course content and streamline by identifying knowledge and skills essential for the students in this course
- Determine how you will share your content with your students such as recorded lectures, screencast, presentations, textbooks or online readings.
- Identify assessment and teaching strategies that is linked to the learning outcomes
- Develop assessment plans for the students
- You can be flexible in grading, live and recorded classes
- You can develop a variety of assessment strategies for the students such as quizzes, tests etc.
- Do not live stream your complete lectures instead breakdown into mini-lectures for better understanding
- Sometimes students become bored with the same kind of teaching methods. You can use different methods for effective learning. Use more audio and video tools for teaching. It creates excitement among students and increases engagement between teachers and students. Use worksheets and presentation slides for delivering lectures.
- You can invite guest speakers or collaborate with other experts for teaching
- Do not lecture more than required. Try to breakout sessions and do some exercise in between and rejoin for the lecture.
- Plan for virtual trips
- Conduct science experiments with the items found in the surrounding.
- Demonstrate the lecture to students for better understanding of the concept
Your feedback will help students to be engaged and motivated during the learning process. The feedback should be constructive and fair. It can help students in identifying students their strengths and weaknesses in their learning.
- Create a routine study plans for the students
- Sometimes you might feel unstructured with remote teaching. You can prepare a time table for effective teaching.
- Communicate with your students regularly
- Be concrete about how you can help your students
- Effective learning environment
You have to create an online classroom environment. It is important to create a safe and supportive environment for the students. Make sure that you are fair, positive and consistent with the students. And also engaging students to work together as an active learning environment.
Engage with the students during the learning process as you are the leader and in-charge of the class. You have to always be available to the students.
How Embibe helps educators with their Remote Teaching Strategies?
Embibe is an excellent platform for teachers in remote teaching as it helps in improving the performance of their students and continuing education during the pandemic. It has an excellent feature that helps to fill the learning gaps in students. Embibe helps teachers in engaging students with learning, test-taking skills and providing personalized guidance.
Embibe helps in increasing the productivity of students’ learning experience. Teachers spent a lot of time in preparation for lessons, managing time tables, feedback and assessment processes. Embibe offers teachers a platform for effective teaching and test-taking skills for students.
- It is a digital library that helps you to ingest question papers, assignments with solutions and answer keys.
- It has automated tagging of questions for academics and behavioural.
- It also offers bilingual support for the teachers
- It helps in saving time 3.5 hrs on average per question paper
- It is an automated test generator
- It sets actual exam level in minutes
- It provides full tests, chapter test and part syllabus, custom test
- It provides around 1,00,000+ fully tagged questions from the question banks
Scheduling live test
It provides real exam using Embibe Test Quality Score (TQS) to overcome difficulties in test, concept and skills.
Advanced Test Feedback
- It is AI-powered advanced test feedback for the teachers to pay attention to their students and results
- It helps in identifying critical exam-taking skills such as speed, accuracy, time management, stamina and attempt planning
- It pin-points mistakes on wasted, overtime, incorrect and too fast attempts during the test.
Personalised Adaptive Learning
- It helps provides personal tutor and boost the productivity of teachers
- It brings students, teachers and parents in one platform
- It has an online examination assistant tool that can completely digitize your examination
- It helps in preparation, execution and assessment of exam
- It has three important syllabi such as CBSE, ICSE and State Board in one platform
- It uses advanced AI, analytics and algorithms to understand the students current and past performance and reveal their learning gaps
- Teachers can create online revision tests and assess the exam of their students
It helps teachers in revisions, mock tests, creating question paper, execution and correction and report generation.
- Creates effective lessons plans
- Digitized assessment and examination process
- availability of e-textbooks on their dashboard
- Improve collaboration between teachers and parents
- Leave application
- Administer policies
We hope that this article on ‘Learning Style for Online Education’ has been useful for you. In case, you have some other ideas or need other suggestions, comment in the box below. We will like to cover it in our next article.
Also Read – Learning Styles for Online Education
Stay tuned to embibe.com for latest news and updates on Remote Teaching Strategies906 Views