UPSC IAS Books 2021: The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will be conducting UPSC IAS Prelims and Mains on June 27, 2021 and September 17, 2021 respectively. The candidates preparing for UPSC are typically confused on what resources to use to prepare for IAS exam as their are various opinions on the best books to prepare for IAS exam. To make things clear and provide you guidance so that you do not waste your crucial preparation time on searching for best study material for IAS preparation we have compiled the best IAS books to prepare for UPSC CSE Prelims and Mains exam.
UPSC IAS Prelims comprises of only objective types of questions whereas Mains are descriptive types. In order to cover all the topics of UPSC IAS Syllabus, candidates need to read lot of UPSC IAS Best Books. Besides that, UPSC IAS Preparation will also require candidates to refer Best books for Prelims and Mains in order to qualify the exam. In this article, we have provided you with the list of Best UPSC IAS Books for Prelims & Mains. Read on to find out.
UPSC IAS Books 2021: Overview
Before getting into the UPSC IAS Books 2021, let us have an overview of the UPSC IAS 2021 exam mentioned below:
|Conducting Authority||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Name of the Exam||UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE)|
|Name of the Post||Indian Administrative Service (IAS)|
|Level of Exam||National|
|Frequency of Exam||Once in a Year|
|Number of Stages||3 (Prelims, Mains, and Personal Interview)|
|Exam Mode||Pen-Paper based (Offline)|
The UPSC IAS Recruitment Notification will be releasing on February 10, 2021. As per the UPSC Calendar, the Civil Services Prelims exam will be conducted on June 27, 2021 and Mains on September 17, 2021.
UPSC IAS Books 2021: Selection Process
Candidates can check the UPSC IAS selection process mentioned below:
- Preliminary Exam – The UPSC IAS Prelims has 2 papers comprising objective type questions. Each paper carries 200 marks.
- Main Exam – The Main examination comprises of Descriptive types of questions. The Written Test consists of nine papers.
- Personal Interview.
The final selection will be based on the performance of the candidates in the Main Written Test and Interview. Candidates must have a clear knowledge of UPSC IAS Exam Pattern of Prelims and Mains.
UPSC IAS Best Books 2021
The most important books for UPSC IAS Prelims & Mains are given below. Candidates must read the newspaper on a daily basis to stay updated with the current affairs. Check UPSC IAS previous year questions papers of the Prelims and Mains and identify the nature of questions in the UPSC exam.
- Indian polity by Laxmikanth 5th Edition
- Geography of India by Majid Husain
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- A brief history of modern India by spectrum
- NCERT Books from Class IX to XII
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography
UPSC IAS Best Books For Prelims
UPSC IAS Prelims exam have two papers, Paper I for General studies and Paper II for CSAT. The books to prepare for UPSC Prelims is given below.
UPSC IAS Books for Prelims Paper I General Studies
|History||India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra|
Facets of Indian Culture – Spectrum
NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
NCERT XII (Modern Indian History)
|Geography||Certificate Physical Geography – G C Leong|
NCERT VI – X (Old Syllabus)
NCERT XI, XII (New Syllabus)
|Indian Polity||Indian Polity – M Laxmikanth|
|Economics|| Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh|
Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain & Ohri
|International Relations|| NCERT XII (Contemporary World Politics)|
UPSC IAS Books for Paper II CSAT
|Civil Services Aptitude Test||1. Tata McGraw Hill CSAT Manual|
2. CSAT II – Arihant
3. Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R S Aggarwal
UPSC IAS Best Books For Mains
UPSC Mains exam have 4 GS papers, 2 Language Papers, 1 Essay and 2 Optional papers. The GS papers and Essay is common to all the candidates. Here we have covered the books for general studies subjects. The best books to cover GS1,GS2,GS3 and GS4 is given below.
UPSC IAS Books for General Studies 1
|History||1. India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra|
2. India after Independence by Bipan Chandra
3. Facets of Indian Culture – Spectrum
4. NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
5. NCERT XII (Modern Indian History)
6. History of Medieval India by Satish Chandra
7. Ancient India by R.S Sharma
8. Ancient and Medieval India – by Poonam Dalal Dahiya
9.Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
10. A Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir
11. .World History by Norman Lowe
12. ‘Concise History of Modern India’ by Sujata Menon
13. IAS Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 1 – by Arihant
|Geography||1. Certificate Physical Geography – G C Leong|
2. NCERT VI – X (Old Syllabus)
3. NCERT XI, XII (New Syllabus)
4. World Atlas
5. World Geography by Majid Husain
6. Fundamentals of Physical Geography NCERT Class 11
7. Fundamentals of Human Geography (NCERT)
8.Certificate Physical And Human Geography
UPSC IAS Books for General Studies 2
|Indian Polity|| 1. Indian Polity – M Laxmikanth|
2. India’s Foreign Policy by Rajiv Sikri
3. Important Acts that Transformed India – by Alex Andrews George
4. IAS Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 2 – by Arihant
UPSC IAS Books for General Studies 3
|Economics||1. Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh|
2. Indian Economy – by Nitin Singhania
3. Indian Economy Key Concepts – by Sankarganesh Karuppiah
4. .India People and Economy (NCERT)
5. IAS Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 3 – by Arihant
|Environment & Ecology|| 1.Recent Events on Climate change through Newspapers |
2.NIOS Study Materials
3. Environment – By Shankar IAS
|Science & Technology|| 1.Notes by Shankar IAS |
3. ISRO website
4. Science and Technology – by Ravi P. Agrahari
UPSC IAS Books for General Studies 4
|Ethics|| 1. Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude for Civil Services Main Examination by Subba Rao and P.N. Roy Chaudhary |
2. Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude for IAS General Studies – by Niraj Kumar
3. Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude – by M. Karthikeyan
4. IAS Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 4 – by Arihant
UPSC IAS Books for Essay
- India 2020 Yearbook – by Rajiv Mehrishi
- The Malayala Manorama English Yearbook 2020 – by Mammen Mathew
- India 2020 – Publications Division Paperback – by Publications Division
FAQs Regarding UPSC IAS Books 2021
The frequently asked questions regarding the UPSC IAS Books are given below:
A. The best books for UPSC Civil Servies are as follows:
1. Indian polity by Laxmikanth 5TH Edition
2. Geography of India by Majid Husain
3. Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
4. A brief history of modern India by spectrum
5. General Studies Based on NCERT Syllabus
6. Certificate Physical and Human Geography
A. No, Candidates need to refer to some high-level books apart from the NCERT books in order to be on a safer side. Besides this, candidates can read newspapers daily to stay updated with the current affairs.
A. There are no standard books for UPSC IAS. However, there are a few essential books that candidate need to refer to. We have provided the list of those essential books in this article.
We have now provided you with all the details on the best books for UPSC IAS Books 2021. Refer to these books and also keep track of UPSC IAS Syllabus which you need to cover. Besides that, you must also have a good knowledge of the exam pattern. Make sure that you cover the syllabus on time and also dedicate time for revision.
We hope this detailed article on UPSC IAS Books 2021 helps you. For any query related to UPSC IAS Books, drop a comment below and we will get back to you.910 Views