GATE Preparation 2019: GATE 2019 is scheduled to be conducted on 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 10th February 2019. It is an examination conducted to test the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in engineering and technology, and postgraduate level subjects in Science. A methodological and well-planned GATE preparation plan is very much necessary to crack this exam with a good score.
GATE is an annual exam and your preparation matters a lot in order to excel in the exam. The exam focuses on testing the conceptual knowledge and the questions are based on the in-depth knowledge of the core subjects of the respective papers. A strategical study plan is very much necessary and in this article we bring you some tips which can be helpful for your GATE Preparation 2019.
GATE Preparation 2019
Firstly, understand that GATE is not your semester exams and mugging up things a day before will not work. If we compare it to a running race, your semester exams are like a sprint and GATE exam is like a marathon. Thus, to crack GATE, you will need a well-strategized long-term plan which is to be executed effectively. Consistent and planned performance is what matters. Good technical knowledge and proper understanding of the exam are very important to crack GATE.
One of the aspects is that you need to be very clear regarding the score you are aiming for – whether you are aiming for IITs, NITs, IIITs, jobs in PSUs or other jobs. Be clear with your overall career plan.
How to Prepare for GATE 2019?
Even the longest and most difficult journeys start with a small step. It is consistent effort and an attitude to not give up that gets a person to his destination. Your preparation for GATE is no different than a long and difficult journey, but it’s worth it. So, here are a few tips which will help in you in your GATE preparation:
1. Start Early
- Know what are you up against. GATE is an exam which requires a consistent long-term study. It is advantageous to start early because you get enough time to study the topics in depth and revise on a regular basis.
- The ideal time to start preparing for GATE is in the 3rd year of Engineering. You need to devote at least a few hours per week say on the weekends for GATE preparation.
- Start with brushing up your basics and solving the fundamental problems. Remember each and every day counts, thus don’t postpone things and be consistent.
2. Be Clear With The GATE Exam Pattern And GATE Syllabus
- Before starting your GATE preparation, be clear with the GATE 2019 exam pattern and syllabus. The Exam has both MCQ and Non-MCQ type of questions. There is negative marking as well except for the numerical type questions asked.
- The next step is to thoroughly check the GATE Syllabus 2019. Shortlist the subjects and topics based on your conceptual knowledge and understanding of the subject.
- Categorize the topics based on your strengths and weaknesses, which will help you decide which are the topics you need to focus on. Besides that, choose the core subjects which you need to study thoroughly in order to score more.
3. Design A Study Plan
- The study plan will vary for each candidate – whether the candidate is a fresher or a repeater, depending on their strengths and weaknesses, etc.
- To prepare an effective study plan, closely examine the exam pattern, syllabus and difficulty level of the exam.
- One of the ways is to go through the previous year papers and analyze the type of questions asked. Make a note of topics which are most important and frequently asked.
- Design a long-term plan, monthly, weekly and daily plan Set weekly targets and make sure you accomplish it.
- Students who are repeaters are already aware of the exam and they need to focus on the mistakes they made and improve.
- Practice a variety of problems from different sources. Take mock tests, solve previous year papers and sample papers.
4. Refer Standard Books And Make Notes
- It is important to pick up the right books for your GATE preparation. Strengthen your basics by referring multiple books if required. But refer to one book at a time.
- At the same time don’t waste time studying too many books to clarify a doubt. Study the concept sufficiently in depth and discuss it with other students and ask doubts to teachers and master the subject.
- Take short notes and jot down the formulae for quick revision. Note down the important concepts, diagrams, formulae, etc., once you finish a chapter.
- Let the notes be very compact and handy so that you could revise them easily.
5. Refer To GATE Previous Year Papers
- Collect the last three years’ GATE question papers and spend some time to analyze them.
- Focus on the topics and chapters having greater weightage. Besides that, you will also come to know the actual difficulty level, type of questions asked, your level of preparation and how better to work.
- You will have a fair idea of the topics which you need to stress more on.
6. Strengthen Your Basics And Problem-Solving Ability
- GATE exam consists of questions which test your conceptual knowledge. For this, you need to clear with your basics.
- Along with this you also need to solve numerical problems with accuracy and speed. This is very much needed especially in the GATE exam.
- Strengthening your basics is not a day’s job. It needs continuous effort and regular study in order to be thorough with the basics. Pay attention when you learn the concept the first time and apply it while solving problems.
- Once basics are clear and you know the formulae and theory behind the concept, practicing an ample amount of numerical problems will improve your problem-solving ability.
- During practicing problems, you may get doubts, which you need to clear as soon as possible by taking help of teachers, classmates, seniors, online platforms, etc.
- Initially, you may be very slow in solving the problems but do not give up. It is better to solve a few problems with complete understanding. Gradually, you will be able to solve the problems in lesser time.
7. Manage Your Time
- Time is a very important factor in GATE preparation. Create a practical timetable and use your time effectively.
- Preplan the time required to cover the syllabus and allocate separate time slots for each and every task related to your GATE Preparation.
- Revision is the key; take it seriously and practice ample amount of question papers to manage time in a better way during the exam.
8. Take Mock Tests And Analyze the Results
- At every stage of your preparation, you need to keep track of your performance which can be done by taking mock tests.
- Only taking mock tests is not sufficient, it is equally important to analyze the results.
- Know the mistakes you made and the areas you need to improve on.
- By taking mock tests and knowing your weak and strong areas, you need to build an attempt strategy for the exam, i.e., the way you are going to prioritize the questions from various sections and answer.
9. Focus On General Aptitude And Engineering Mathematics
- If you want to clear GATE 2019, focusing on Mathematics and Aptitude will help you.
- Prepare these two subjects thoroughly because in this section you will be able to score much easier compared to other sections.
- The Aptitude section carries 15 marks and the Mathematics section too carries 15 marks. Thus, it is a good strategy to prepare for this section without fail.
- For General Aptitude, refer to the previous year questions and focus on the topics asked.
- To prepare for Engineering Mathematics, you can use standard books and refer to the GATE previous year question papers of various streams.
10. Other Important Tips For GATE Preparation
- Think beyond the bookish knowledge and find the day-to-day applications of the concepts in the field of engineering. This will help you in making things interesting and real.
- Develop the power of visualization and try to find the links and relationships between the concepts. This will help you to learn more effectively.
- Create analogies to explain topics and concepts.
- Study in an organized manner and have a realistic timetable and take small breaks to relax your mind.
- Take good care of your health and sleep adequately.
- Revise regularly and keep cool on the day of the exam.
We hope these tips help you in your GATE preparation 2019. Keep yourself motivated and do not give up. No matter what your preparation level is, attempt the upcoming exam with confidence. Manage your time well and make sure you make the best use of the time available.
Devote the last month of your preparation majorly to revisions and mock tests. Make sure you learn from your mistakes and improve your performance. We wish you all the best for your upcoming GATE exam.
We hope this article on GATE preparation helps you. If you have any question regarding GATE 2019, feel free to post it in the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.1102 Views