NTSE Preparation Tips 2019-20: National Talent Search Examination, popularly known as NTSE is one of the most prestigious Scholarship Programmes in India. NTSE Scholarship Programme will recognize students with high intellect and academic talent to grant them monetary benefits throughout their academic life. The NTSE 2019-20 exam is conducted for Class 10 students by National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). Lakhs of students appear from all over the country and only a few thousand students are selected for the scholarship based on their performance. Aspiring students must have a proper NTSE Preparation strategy to achieve the scholarship reward. An effective way to outshine in one of the most competitive exams would be taking plenty of NTSE mock tests.
The first step to NTSE preparation would be possessing a clear knowledge of the NTSE syllabus and exam pattern. So, refer to the tips and tricks from this article to add some spice to your NTSE preparation.
NTSE Preparation 2019-20: Tips to become an NTSE Scholar
Before getting into the details of NTSE preparation tips and tricks it is essential you understand the nature of the National Talent Search Examination.
NTSE exam is conducted in two stages. The first stage is a state-level exam and the second stage is a national level exam. Both stages of NTSE 2019-20 exam will have two parts or papers, namely MAT and SAT. The exam pattern for both stages is the same but the difference is actually in the difficulty level of the questions. Take a look at the exam pattern for both stages of NTSE 2019-20 from the table below:
|Papers||Subjects||Number of Questions/Maximum Marks|
|Paper 1 – Mental Ability Test (MAT)||Aptitude Test||100/100|
|Paper 2 – Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||Science, Social Science, Mathematics||100 (Science – 40, Social Science – 40, Mathematics – 20)/100|
Now, coming to the NTSE Syllabus, it is same for both Stage-1 and Stage-2. The syllabus of NTSE2019-20 is based on class 9 and Class 10 subjects. For better results, it is advised candidates refer to the NCERT textbooks for their preparation.
NTSE Preparation Tips for MAT section
As mentioned earlier there are two papers in each stage of NTSE. The best way to excel in both papers would be by knowing the nature of each paper.
MAT also recognized as Mental Ability test is conducted to gauge one’s mental ability to reason, judge, evaluate and visualize in spatial orientation. MAT section of NTSE exam will have a variety of aptitude questions based on analogies, classification, series, pattern perception, hidden figures, coding-decoding, block assembly, problem-solving, etc. This section might be the most important section of both as it has a good hold on the NTSE Selection. Candidates must give ample amount of time for this section of NTSE preparation. While regular practice aids in cracking this section, you can also try a few of the NTSE tips and tricks for MAT section from below:
- Keep on solving different problems of the typical kind.
- Focus on time management as most aspirants tend to spoil their paper despite knowing the answer, simply because of time shortness.
- As there are no negative marks allotted for wrong answers and this part of the NTSE 2019-20 is in the form of MCQ’s, you better answer all the questions leaving none behind. This might help the chances of scoring better in NTSE MAT section.
NTSE Preparation Tips for SAT section
Scholastic Aptitude Test also known as SAT is another paper in both stages of NTSE 2019-20. This section is conducted to assess the reasoning and logical ability of the candidates. SAT paper of NTSE 2019-20 will test the students’ potential concerning their mental abilities, languages, scholastic aptitudes and social sciences. Referring to the NCERT Books will help to score well in this section. Also, going through a good general knowledge book for ‘out of the course’ questions will aid in score improvisation.
Candidates must qualify both sections to qualify the state level exam. Qualified candidates from Stage-1 (State Level) will move on to the next level i.e., stage-2 or National Level NTSE exam.
NTSE Preparation Tips to become a Scholar
With the stakes so high and the competition so stiff, we advise you to follow the general tips and tricks required to crack NTSE 2019-20 from below:
- Once the NTSE Stage-1 was attempted, qualified aspirants will have enough time to focus on Stage-2. Use this ample amount of time by taking as many mock tests as possible. And candidates appearing for the Stage-1 should finish off the NTSE Syllabus first before taking the mock tests.
- Take plenty of mock tests but don’t stop there. Evaluate your performance by understanding where you went wrong, what is your accuracy, number of questions you went wrong, bubbling errors, etc.
- Unlike SAT, scoring in MAT section can become an easy task when practiced on a regular basis. This means you need to strengthen your MAT section in NTSE 2019-20 preparation.
- Try not to panic if you do not know the answer to any question. Instead, skip the question for time being and move on by answering the next question. In fact, answering all the questions you find easy at the beginning will help boost your confidence.
- Keep track of your performance and test-taking efficiency from each mock test, especially in SAT section. This will not only help in scoring well but also in speeding up the calculation part.
- Through these mock tests list out the topics you are good and weak at so that you can focus more on those require your attention.
- Also, practicing NTSE previous year papers will get you acquainted with the NTSE exam pattern easily.
- Make notes of things you find difficult to remember such as the formulas, equations, etc.
- Keep a hold on important topics from NTSE Syllabus and revise them regularly.
- It is advised for the candidates to at least devote 3-4 hours in self-learning to improve the speed, subject knowledge, and accuracy.
- Of all the tips in NTSE preparation, staying healthy, calm and confident through the journey is a must.
Now that you are provided with all necessary tips required to become an NTSE scholar, accommodate them in your daily routine and stick to it. With just a few months left for the exam, you shouldn’t waste your time at all. You need to finish the whole NTSE syllabus before time, practice sufficient practice questions, and take mock tests regularly. You also need to work on your speed and accuracy. At Embibe, we provide free NTSE practice questions and NTSE mock tests which will be of great help to you in your NTSE preparation.
We hope this detailed article on NTSE Preparation 2019-20 helps you. If you have any query regarding NTSE 2019-20 Preparation or the exam in general, feel free to ping us. We will get back to you at the earliest.