SBI PO Exam Pattern 2021: The State Bank of India (SBI) conducts PO Recruitment in a 3 stage process i.e Prelims, Mains and Interview. Each stage of the exam has its own importance and candidates preparing for the exam must understand SBI PO Exam Pattern for each stage individually. The prelims stage is merely for shortlisting candidates for the mains exam and the merit list will depend on the score in mains and interview stages. So, candidates must focus on the mains exam preparation as this is where their fate will be sealed. However, they should make sure that they will be able to cross the SBI Prelims cutoff given any level of question paper.
Again candidates must also focus on group exercise activities and interview skills after the SBI PO Main exam is over as they have sufficient time after the exam and they can improve their final rank by a small effort in this stage of the exam. In this article, we will cover the detailed SBI PO Exam Pattern for all the stages of the exam. Read on to understand the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2021.
Pro Tip: Embibe offers interactive learning videos and topic-wise practice questions for SBI PO exam using the world’s most intelligent AI-based educational platform. Take our free mock test and get personalised feedback based on your performance today.
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2021: Overview
SBI PO exam follows a three-tier selection process. The stages involved in the selection of aspirants are as follows:
1st Stage: SBI PO Preliminary Exam
2nd Stage: SBI PO Main Exam
3rd Stage: Group Exercises and Interview
Candidates must qualify in all three stages (Prelims, Mains & Interview) with minimum cut off marks set by SBI. Prelims exam is only qualifying nature. The marks obtained in Mains & Interview are considered while releasing the merit list. Let us now discuss the SBI PO 2021 Exam Pattern for each stage in setail.
SBI PO Prelims Exam Pattern 2021
The first stage for SBI PO 2021 Recruitment is Preliminary Exam, which the aspirant have to qualify in order to get shortlisted for SBI PO Mains Exam.
- SBI PO Prelims Exam 2021 will have a total of 100 Objective type questions.
- SBI PO Prelims Exam has 3 sections: Quantitative Aptitude, English, and Reasoning Ability.
- The exam is for a total duration of 1 hour (20 minutes is allocated for each section).
- The conducting body will deduct 0.25 marks as penalty for each wrong answer attempted by the candidate. There will be no deduction in marks for questions left unattempted or blank by the candidate.
- SBI PO Prelims exam is only qualifying nature and its marks will not be considered for the final result and preparing the merit list.
The SBI PO Prelims Exam Pattern is given below:
|Sections||Total Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time Duration|
|English Language||30||30||20 Minutes|
|Numerical Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
|Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
Main Examination Selection criteria: Category-wise merit list will be made based on the aggregate marks scored by the candidates in the Prelims Examination. There is no sectional cutoff. Candidates numbering 10 times the number of vacancies in each category will be shortlisted for Mains.
SBI PO Mains Exam Pattern 2021
The SBI PO Mains Exam comprises of both Objective & Descriptive type questions; check the details below:
- The objective type sections of the paper must be completed in 3 hours and the descriptive paper in 30 minutes.
- The objective part consists of 4 sections: Reasoning & Computer Aptitude, Data Analysis & Interpretation & General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness, English Language.
- The descriptive paper in the above SBI PO Mains online test will contain 2 questions.
- The conducting body will deduct 0.25 marks as penalty for each wrong answer attempted by the candidate in the SBI PO Mains exam. There will be no deduction in marks for questions left unattempted or blank by the candidate.
- There is no sectional cutoff in Main examination.
Only those candidates who qualify in the prelims exam can attend the Main Examination. Check the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2021 for Mains given below:
Objective Type Paper
The objective type paper is of 3 hours duration and comprises 4 sections for a total of 200 marks. Each section of the objective test will be separately timed.
|Sections||Total number of questions||Maximum marks||Total time duration|
|Reasoning and Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 minutes|
|Data Analysis and Interpretation||35||60||45 minutes|
|Banking/General/Economy Awareness||40||40||35 minutes|
|English Language||35||40||40 minutes|
Descriptive Type Paper
The Descriptive Type paper of the test is of 30 minutes duration and contains only two questions for a total of 50 marks. This section will be a Test of English Language (Essay & Letter Writing).
Note: Category-wise merit list will be made based on the aggregate marks scored by the candidates in the Main Examination. Candidates numbering up to 3 times of the category wise vacancies will be shortlisted for Phase III
SBI PO Interview Exam Pattern 2021
After a candidate clears both Prelims & Mains examinations of SBI PO 2021, they will be called for a GD-PI session. At this session they will face a panel of selectors who will ask them questions about their past experience, General Knowledge and the Banking Sector. Candidate should compulsorily clear the Interview Process for final selection in the SBI PO 2021 Exam. The qualifying marks for the interview round will be decided by the Bank.
Candidates can check the following important points regarding SBI PO GD and PI mentioned below:
- The Group Exercises will be conducted for 20 marks and 30 marks will be allotted for the Interview.
- Candidates qualifying for Group Exercises and Interview under the ‘OBC’ category would be required to submit OBC certificate containing the ‘Non-Creamy Layer’ clause.
- Candidates should score minimum qualifying marks in this phase to get considered for final selection.
SBI PO Final Selection Process 2021
After completion of all Personal Interviews, SBI will prepare a merit list based on the candidate’s score of Mains Exam and Interview Round. Depending on the available vacancies and the score obtained by candidates, SBI will declare the final cut-off marks. All aspirants who clear the SBI PO cut off marks will be provided the Appointment Letter by the State Bank of India to join as Probationary Officers.
- The authorities will not consider the marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination for preparing the final merit list.
- Only the marks obtained in the Main Examination (both in the Objective Test and the Descriptive Test) and in Group Exercise and Interview will be considered for preparing the final merit list.
- However, candidates will have to qualify in both Prelim and Main exam separately.
- The marks obtained in the Main Examination (out of 200 marks) will carry 75% weightage and the marks in the Group Exercise & Interview (out of 50 marks) will carry 25% weightage. The aggregate marks (out of 100) will be considered to compile the final merit list.
- The final selection will be made from the top merit ranked candidates in each category.
- SBI PO Result of the candidates who qualify for Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview as well as the final selection list will be made available on the official website.
SBI PO Syllabus 2021
The SBI PO syllabus has many similarities with the syllabus of other bank exams. Both Prelims and Mains have English Language, Quantitative Ability and Reasoning sections and the syllabi for all of these sections are almost the same barring a few topics. The Numerical Ability section of Prelims and the Data Analysis and Interpretation section of Mains are related as the latter requires knowledge of the former. In addition to these sections, the Mains also has Computer Aptitude and General Awareness sections.
FAQs regarding SBI PO Exam Pattern 2021
The frequently asked questions on SBI PO Paper Pattern are given below:
| Q. What is the exam pattern for SBI PO exam? |
A. The exam is conducted online and comprises of 3 sections, namely Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, and English Language. The total marks allotted for the exam is 100
| Q. Is the SBI PO exam conducted online or offline? |
A. The SBI PO exam is conducted online for both Prelims and Mains.
| Q. Is there any negative marks in SBI PO Mains exam? |
A. Yes, there is negative marking of 0.25 marks deducted for every wrong answer.
| Q. What is the eligibility criteria of GD-PI session for SBI PO 2021? |
A. Candidates qualifying main exam will be eligible to appear for Group Discussion or interview round.
| Q. What is the time duration for SBI PO Prelims and Mains? |
A. The time duration of the Prelims exam is 1 hour and the Main exam is 3 hour.
Take free mock test on Embibe in order to boost your confidence as well as to keep track of how well prepared you are for the exam.
We hope that this detailed article on SBI PO Exam Pattern helps you. If you have any queries regarding SBI PO Exam Pattern or the exam in general, drop a comment below. We will get back to you at the earliest.1102 Views