Minority Scholarship – Ministry of Minority Affairs offers scholarships to minority students at the central level. State governments also provide minority scholarships to deserving aspirants. The purpose of providing the scholarship is to aid the education of the students financially. The ministry offers pre-matric, post-matric, and merit-cum-means scholarships for class 1 to Ph.D. level students. Each state also invites applications for the various scholarships available for minority students. Such scholarships encourage the aspirants to pursue courses and complete their education.
The officials announce the minority scholarship on the official website of the state government or the ministry of minority affairs. Interested aspirants can apply for the scholarship online at the National Scholarship Portal. The officials can also check the application dates at the portal and apply accordingly for the scheme. Usually, the selection for the scholarship is based on the merit and financial status of the aspirants. The selected students receive an amount under the scheme. Read the article to know more about minority scholarship.
Minority Scholarship: Highlights
The scholarships are available for minority students at the state as well as central level. Aspirants must check the official website of the government to know the dates of application. Check below the overview of central minority scholarship-
Overview of Central Minority Scholarship
|Level of Scholarship||Central|
|Offered By||Ministry of Minority Affairs|
|Number of Minority Scholarship||Three|
|Official Portal||National Scholarship Portal|
The officials provide scholarships to the minority students belonging to SC/ST and other reserved categories. The objective of the scholarship is to aid deserving students financially. Check below the list of minority scholarship available at the central and state level-
State Level Minority Scholarships
Conducting Body: State Government
|Arunachal Pradesh||Umbrella scheme for education of ST students-pre matric scholarship|
Umbrella scheme for education of ST children- post matric scholarship
Scheme for award of stipend to the schedule tribe students of Arunachal Pradesh
|Pre matric scholarship for sc students of Assam|
Post matric scholarship for SC students of Assam
Pre matric scholarship for ST students of Assam
Post matric scholarship for ST students of Assam
Pre matric scholarship for OBC students of Assam
Post matric scholarship for OBC students of Assam
|Pre matric scholarship for minority |
Pre matric scholarship for SC students
Pre matric scholarship for ST students
Pre matric scholarship for OBC students
|Tripura||Post matric scholarship for SC students|
Post matric scholarship for OBC students
|Manipur||Pre matric scholarship for ST students|
Post matric scholarship for ST students
Central Minority Scholarships
Conducting Body: Ministry of Minority Affairs
- Pre matric scholarship for minority
- Post matric scholarship for minority
- Merit-cum means scholarship for professional and technical courses
Minority Scholarship: Duration
The duration of the scholarship will be up to the completion of the course. To continue availing of the benefits of the scholarship, aspirants need to secure a minimum of 50% aggregate in the previous exam. Candidates must note that maintenance allowance will be for ten months in an academic year.
Minority Scholarship: Eligibility Criteria
The officials must apply for the scholarship based on their eligibility. The requirements differ for each scholarship. The officials will accept the application of only the eligible aspirants. Hence, all must double-check the requirements and apply accordingly. The officials also consider the eligibility of the aspirants for selection. Check below the eligibility criteria of top three minority scholarships-
Eligibility Criteria for pre-matric scholarship
- Aspirants who have secured a minimum of 50% marks in the final qualifying exam are eligible to apply.
- The students from classes 1 to 10 are eligible to apply.
- The family income of the aspirant must not exceed INR 1 lakh.
- Eligibility criteria for post-matric scholarship
- Aspirants with at least 50% marks in the final exam are eligible.
- Students in class 11 or 12 or pursuing B.Com and ITI courses are eligible.
- The family income must not be more than INR 2 lakh.
Eligibility criteria for merit-cum-means based scholarship
- Aspirants pursuing technical and professional courses are eligible for the scholarship.
- The students with a minimum of 50% aggregate in the final qualifying exam are eligible.
- The family income of the students must not exceed INR 2.50 lakh.
Minority Scholarship: Application Process
Candidates can apply for any of the three scholarships online. The Ministry of Minority affairs allows eligible aspirants to apply via the National Scholarship Portal. The officials will accept the application of only the eligible candidates. Aspirants must check the requirements and fill in all the necessary details for the scholarship. Check below the steps to apply for various minority scholarships-
1st Step: Visit the official website of National Scholarship Portal-https://scholarships.gov.in/
2nd Step: Click on ‘new registration.’
3rd Step: Read the guidelines and agree to the terms and conditions.
4th Step: Enter domicile, category, mobile number, date of birth, gender, etc. to register for the scholarship.
5th Step: Post-registration, an OTP will be sent on the registered mobile number of the candidates.
6th Step: Provide academic, contact, and personal details to fill the application form.
7th Step: Upload the specified documents
8th Step: Review the filled details and submit the application form.
- Marksheets and certificates
- Income certificate
- Category certificate
Minority Scholarship: Fund Allocation
- The officials earmark 30% of the scholarship for girl students of each minority community.
- In case of non-availability of the female students, the officials will transfer the scholarship to the male students in the concerned state or union territory.
- Students residing in a particular state or union territory will be eligible for the scholarship under the quota of that state/UT irrespective of their place of study.
Minority Scholarship: Selection Process
As there is a fixed number of scholarships available in a year for minorities, it is significant to lay down preference for selection. The officials will shortlist the aspirants for the scholarship based on their financial status. The selection committee will assess the applications of the candidates and shortlist the ones meeting their requirements for each scholarship. In case of similar income, the officials will select the older candidate for the scholarship. The officials will generate a merit list based on the income of the aspirants to communicate the result for the scholarship. On completion of the selection, the candidates will receive the reward as specified for each scholarship.
Minority Scholarship: Reward
There will be a difference in the rate of each scholarship. Selected aspirants will receive the amount after the completion of the selection process. The officials will transfer the amount to the bank account of the candidates through direct benefit transfer (DBT) mode. The amount will cover the course fee and other expenses of the aspirants during the scholarship period. Check below the rate of each minority scholarship-
Awards of pre-matric scholarship
Admission and tuition fee
|Admission fee for class 6 to 10:INR 500 per annum for both hosteller and day scholars.|
Tuition fee for class 6 to 19:INR 350 per month for both hosteller and day scholars.
|Maintenance Allowance||For class 1 to 5INR 100 per month for day scholar.|
For class 6 to 10INR 600 per month for hosteller and INR 100 per month for day scholar.
Awards of post matric scholarship
Admission and tuition fee
|Admission and tuition fee for class 11 and 12:INR 7000 per annum for both hosteller and day scholars.|
Tuition fee for technical and vocational courses of class 11 and 12 level:INR 10,000 per annum for both hosteller and day scholars.
Admission and tuition fee for UG and PG level is INR 3000 for both hosteller and day scholar.
|For class 11 and 12 including technical and vocational course|
INR 380 per month for hosteller and INR 230 per month for day scholar.
Awards of Merit-cum-means scholarship
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 per annum subject to actuals whichever is less for both day scholar and hostetlers.|
|Maintenance Allowance||INR 1000 per month for hostellerINR 500 per month for day scholar|
|Scholarship for listed institutes||There is a full course fee reimbursed for 85 listed institutes.|
Minority Scholarship: Benefits
The scholarship will be available to eligible aspirants. The selected students will receive an amount along with other benefits under the scheme. Check below the benefits of Minority scholarship-
- The scholarship covers the fees of the course and other expenditure.
- Aspirants receive an amount after selection for the scholarship.
- It encourages minority students to complete their education and become independent.
- It boosts the confidence of the minority students and allows them to pursue the course of their choice.
Minority Scholarship: Renewal
Aspirants need to renew the awarded scholarship every year. The students must secure a minimum of 50% marks in the previous year’s examination to renew the scholarship. The officials do not release a merit list for renewal cases.
Minority Scholarship: Terms and Conditions
- Aspirants fulfilling the eligibility can only apply for any of the three minority scholarships.
- The students availing the benefits of this scholarship cannot hold any other scholarship at the same time.
- The officials will transfer the course/tuition fee and maintenance allowance to the bank account of the aspirant.
- The officials will cancel the scholarship, in case of obtaining the same through the false statement.
- Scholarship stands canceled in case the student violates the school discipline or any other terms and conditions of the scholarship.
- The officials will not provide scholarships to more than two students from a family.
- Maintenance allowance will be available for both day scholars and hostellers.
- The continuation of the scholarship will depend on the score of the candidates.
Minority Scholarship: Contact Details
For any query, contact-
Phone: 0120 – 6619540
Mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Minority Scholarship: Frequently Asked Questions
|Q1. How can I apply for a minority scholarship?|
Ans: Aspirants can apply for minority scholarships through the NSP portal.
|Q2. How do officials select aspirants for the minority scholarships?|
Ans: The officials select the aspirants for the scholarship based on their financial status.
|Q3. Who can apply for a pre-matric scholarship?|
Ans: Students from classes 1 to 10 belonging to a minority community can apply for the pre-matric scholarship.
|Q4. What is the duration of minority scholarship?|
Ans: The officials provide the scholarship for the entire course of the academic year.
|Q5. Will I receive the maintenance allowance for the whole year?|
Ans: No, aspirants will receive the maintenance allowance for ten months in an academic year.
Stay tuned to embibe.com to catch all the updates about the minority scholarship.1044 Views