SSC JE Syllabus 2021: The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) released SSC JE Syllabus along with the notification for the SSC JE exam. SSC conducted SSC JE Paper 1 Exam from March 23 to 24 and the SSC JE Answer Key has been released for the same. The candidates who will qualify for paper 1 will be allowed to appear for SSC JE Paper 2. Candidates who are confident that they will qualify the cutoff for paper 1 as per the provisional answer key must start SSC JE Paper 2 preparation. Candidates can get the detailed syllabus for SSC JE Paper 2 here in this article which they can refer to and complete their preparation.
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts SSC JE (Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineer) Examination every year for the recruitment of Junior Engineers in different government departments. Candidates appearing for the exam can check the SSC JE syllabus for paper 1 and paper 2 and SSC JE Exam Pattern. SSC JE Recruitment is done for various branches of engineering namely, Electrical, Civil, and Mechanical Engineering. The SSC Junior Engineering exam has two papers; Paper 1 and Paper 2. We have provided detailed information on SSC JE Syllabus in this article. Read on to find out.
SSC JE Syllabus 2021
The Syllabus for SSC JE for various engineering branches is of Diploma in Engineering level. The candidates preparing for SSC JE must be aware of the detailed syllabus for the exam so that they can cover all the topics. The detailed Syllabus for SSC JE is covered below.
SSC JE Exam Pattern Paper 1
SSC JE Paper 1 is objective type. There are two common sections and one branch-specific section. The total marks for Paper 1 is 200. There is a negative marking of 0.25 marks in Paper 1 for each wrong answer.
|Sections||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||50||50|
|Part A- General Engineering (Civil & Structural) Or|
Part B- General Engineering (Electrical) Or
Part C- General Engineering (Mechanical)
SSC JE Syllabus 2021 For Paper 1
The detailed syllabus for SSC JE Paper 1 has been covered below:
Section 1: General Intelligence and Reasoning
This General Intelligence syllabus section mainly consists of questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. This test particularly includes questions that are designed to test the candidate’s capacity to deal with abstract ideas, symbols, and their relationships and other analytical functions.
- i) Decision Making
- ii) Visual Memory
- iii) Relationship Concepts
- iv) Arithmetical Reasoning
- v) Verbal and Figure Classification
- vi) Arithmetical Number Series
- vii) Abstract Ideas and Symbols and Their Relationships
- viii) Arithmetical Number Series
- ix) Arithmetical Computations and Other Analytical Functions
- x) Space Visualization
- xi) Problem Solving
Section 2: General Awareness
The questions in this section mainly test the candidate’s general awareness, knowledge of current affairs, everyday observations, and its various applications to society.
The questions in this section will be such that candidates do not require a special study of any particular discipline. This section also includes questions pertaining to India and its neighbouring countries specifically related to the following topics:
- i) Economic Science
- ii) General Polity and Scientific Research
- iii) Current Affairs
- iv) India and its Neighboring Countries
Section 3: General Engineering
Candidates have to choose any one from these three parts given below based on their branch:
Part-A (Civil Engineering & Structural Engineering): The SSC JE Civil Syllabus includes the following topics:
- i) Building Materials
- ii) Estimating, Costing and Valuation
- iii) Soil Mechanics
- iv) Irrigation Engineering
- v) 1st and 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
- vi) IC Engine Performance
- vii) IC Engine Cooling and Lubrication
- viii) Ranking Cycle of System
- ix) Fitting & Accessories
- x) Air Compressors & their Cycles
- xi) Refrigeration Cycles
- xii) The Principle of the Refrigeration Plant
- xiii) Nozzles & Steam Turbines
- xiv) Properties & Classifications Of Fluids
- xv) Fluid Statics, Measurement of Fluid Pressure
- xvi) Transportation Engineering
- xvii) Environment Engineering
Part-B (Electrical Engineering): The SSC JE Electrical Syllabus includes the following topics:
- i) Basic concepts
- ii) Circuit law
- iii) AC Fundamentals
- iv) Magnetic Circuit
- v) Electrical Machines
- vi) Measurement and Measuring instruments
- vii) Synchronous Machines
- viii) Fractional Kilowatt Motors and single phase induction Motors
- ix) Generation
- x) Basic Electronics
- xi) Estimation and Costing
- xii) Transmission and Distribution
- xiii) Utilization and Electrical Energy
Part-C (Mechanical Engineering): The SSC JE Mechanical Syllabus includes the following topics:
- i) Theory of Machines and Machine Design
- ii) 1st Law of Thermodynamics
- iii) 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
- iv) IC Engine Performance
- v) Air standard Cycles for IC Engines
- vi) IC Engines Combustion
- vii) Boilers
- viii) IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication
- ix) Classification
- x) Rankine cycle of System
- xi) Specification
- xii) Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
- xiii) Properties of Pure Substances
- xiv) Air Compressors & their cycles
- xv) Fitting & Accessories
- xvi) Principle of Refrigeration Plant
- xvii) Nozzles & Steam Turbines
- xviii) Fluid Statics
- xix) Measurement of Flow rate
- xx) Refrigeration cycles
- xxi) Properties & Classification of Fluids
- xxii) Measurement of Fluid Pressure
- xxiii) Fluid kinematics
- xxiv) Dynamics of Ideal fluids
- xxv) Hydraulic Turbines
- xxvi) Basic Principles & Classification of steel
- xxvii) Centrifugal Pumps
SSC JE Exam Pattern For Paper 2
The Paper II is a written test of 300 marks for a duration of 2 hours. This Paper is branch-specific and candidates have to appear for the exam as per their chosen branch of engineering.
|Section||Maximum Marks||Time Duration|
|Part A- General Engineering (Civil & Structural) Or Part B- General Engineering (Electrical)|
Part C- General Engineering (Mechanical)
|300||Composite Time Duration of 3 Hours|
SSC JE Syllabus 2021 For Paper 2
The detailed syllabus for SSC JE Paper 2 is as below:
SSC JE Syllabus For Paper 2: Civil Engineering
- i) Physical and chemical properties
- ii) Classification, Standard Tests, Uses and Manufacture/Quarrying of Materials
Estimating, Costing and Valuation
- i) Estimate, glossary of technical terms, analysis of rates, methods and unit of measurement, Items of work – earthwork, Brick work (Modular & Traditional bricks), RCC work, Shuttering, Timber work, Painting, Flooring, and Plastering.
- ii) Boundary wall, Brick building, Water Tank, Septic tank, Bar bending schedule, Centre line method, Mid-section formula, Trapezoidal formula, Simpson’s rule.
- iii) Cost estimate of Septic tank, flexible pavements, Tube well, isolates and combined footings, Steel Truss, Piles and pile-caps.
- iv) Valuation – Value and cost, scrap value, salvage value, assessed value, sinking fund, depreciation and obsolescence, methods of Valuation.
- i) Principles of surveying, measurement of distance, chain surveying.
- ii) Working of the prismatic compass, compass traversing, bearings, local attraction, plane table surveying.
- iii) Theodolite traversing, adjustment of theodolite, Leveling, Definition of terms used in levelling, contouring, curvature and refraction corrections.
- iv) Temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level, methods of contouring.
- v) Uses of contour map, tachometric survey, curve setting
- vi) Earthwork calculation, advanced surveying equipment.
- i) Origin of soil, phase diagram, Definitions-void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation, water content, specific gravity of soil grains, unit weights, density index and interrelationship of different parameters, Grain size distribution curves and their uses.
- ii) Index properties of soils, Atterberg’s limits, ISI soil classification and plasticity chart.
- iii) Permeability of soil, coefficient of permeability, determination of coefficient of permeability, Unconfined and confined aquifers, effective stress, quicksand, consolidation of soils, Principles of consolidation, degree of consolidation, pre-consolidation pressure, normally consolidated soil, e-log p curve, computation of ultimate settlement.
- iv) Shear strength of soils, direct shear test, Vane shear test, Triaxial test.
- v) Soil compaction, Laboratory compaction test, Maximum dry density and optimum moisture content, earth pressure theories, active and passive earth pressures, Bearing capacity of soils, plate load test, standard penetration test.
- i) Fluid properties and hydrostatics, measurements of flow.
- ii) Bernoulli’s theorem and its application.
- iii) Flow through pipes.
- iv) Flow in open channels, weirs, flumes, spillways, pumps and turbines.
- i) Definition, necessity, benefits, 2II effects of irrigation, types and methods of irrigation.
- ii) Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall, runoff coefficient, rain gauge.
- iii) Losses from precipitation – evaporation, infiltration, etc. Water requirement of crops, duty, delta and base period, Kharif and Rabi Crops, Command area, Time factor, Crop ratio, Overlap allowance, Irrigation efficiencies.
- iv) Different type of canals, types of canal irrigation, loss of water in canals. Canal lining – types and advantages. Shallow and deep to wells, yield from a well.
- v) Weir and barrage, Failure of weirs and permeable foundation, Slit and Scour, Kennedy’s theory of critical velocity.
- vi) Lacey’s theory of uniform flow.
- vii) Definition of flood, causes and effects, methods of flood control, water logging, preventive measure.
- i) Highway Engineering – cross-sectional elements, geometric design, types of pavements, pavement materials
- ii) Components of permanent way -Sleepers, ballast, fixtures and fastening, track geometry, points and crossings, track junction, stations and yards.
- iii) Aggregates and bitumen, different tests, Design of flexible and rigid pavements.
- iv) Water Bound Macadam (WBM) and Wet Mix Macadam (WMM), Gravel Road, Bituminous construction, Rigid pavement joint, pavement maintenance, Highway drainage, Railway Engineering
- i) Quality of water, source of water supply, purification of water, distribution of water, need of sanitation, sewerage systems, circular sewer, oval sewer, sewer appurtenances, sewage treatments.
- ii) Surface water drainage.
- iii) Solid waste management – types, effects, engineered management system.
- iv) Air pollution – pollutants, causes, effects, control.
Noise pollution – cause, health effects, control.
SSC JE 2021 Syllabus For Paper 2: Structural Engineering
Theory of Structures
- i) Elasticity constants, types of beams – determinate and indeterminate, bending moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported, cantilever and overhanging beams.
- ii) Moment of area and moment of inertia for rectangular & circular sections, bending moment and shear stress for tee, channel and compound sections.
- iii) Chimneys, dams and retaining walls, eccentric loads, slope deflection of simply supported and cantilever beams, critical load and columns, Torsion of circular section.
- i) Properties, Advantages and uses of concrete, cement aggregates, the importance of water quality, water-cement ratio
- ii) Workability, mix design, storage, batching, mixing, placement, compaction, finishing and curing of concrete.
- iii) Quality control of concrete, hot weather and cold weather concreting, repair and maintenance of concrete structures.
- i) RCC beams-flexural strength, shear strength, bond strength, design of singly reinforced and double reinforced beams, cantilever beams.
- ii) T-beams, lintels.
- iii) One-way and two-way slabs, isolated footings. Reinforced brick works, columns, staircases, retaining wall, water tanks (RCC design questions may be based on both Limit State and Working Stress methods).
- i) Steel design and construction of steel columns
- ii) Beams roof trusses plate girders.
SSC JE 2021 Syllabus For Paper 2: Electrical Engineering
- i) Concepts of resistance, inductance, capacitance, and various factors affecting them.
- ii) Concepts of current, voltage, power, energy and their units.
- iii) Circuit law – Kirchhoff‟s law, Simple Circuit solution using network theorems.
- iv) Magnetic Circuit – Concepts of flux, mmf, reluctance, Different kinds of magnetic materials, Magnetic calculations for conductors of different configuration e.g. straight, circular, solenoidal, etc.
- v) Electromagnetic induction, self and mutual induction.
- i) Instantaneous, peak, R.M.S. and average values of alternating waves.
- ii) Representation of sinusoidal waveform, simple series and parallel AC Circuits consisting of R.L. and C, Resonance, Tank Circuit.
- iii) Poly Phase system – star and delta connection, 3 phase power, DC and sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit.
Measurement and Measuring Instruments
- i) Measurement of power (1 phase and 3 phase, both active and re-active) and energy, 2 wattmeter method of 3 phase power measurement.
- ii) Measurement of frequency and phase angle.
- iii) Ammeter and voltmeter (both moving oil and moving iron type), extension of range wattmeter, Multimeters, Megger, Energy meter AC Bridges.
- iv) Use of CRO, Signal Generator, CT, PT and their uses.
- v) Earth Fault detection.
- i) D.C. Machine – Construction, Basic Principles of D.C. motors and generators, their characteristics, speed control and starting of D.C. Motors. Method of braking motor, Losses and efficiency of D.C. Machines.
- ii) 1 phase and 3 phase transformers – Construction, Principles of operation, equivalent circuit, voltage regulation, O.C. and S.C. Tests, Losses and efficiency.
- iii) Effect of voltage, frequency and waveform on losses. Parallel operation of 1 phase /3 phase transformers.
- iv) 3 phase induction motors, rotating magnetic field, the principle of operation, equivalent circuit, torque-speed characteristics, and starting and speed control of 3 phase induction motors.
- v) Methods of braking, effect of voltage and frequency variation on torque speed characteristics.
Fractional Kilowatt Motors and Single Phase Induction Motors
- i) Characteristics and applications.
- ii) Synchronous Machines – Generation of 3-phase e.m.f. armature reaction, voltage regulation, parallel operation of two alternators, synchronizing, control of active and reactive power.
- iii) Starting and applications of synchronous motors.
Generation, Transmission and Distribution
- i) Power factor improvement, various types of tariffs, types of faults, short circuit current for symmetrical faults.
- ii) Switchgears – rating of circuit breakers, Principles of arc extinction by oil and air, H.R.C. Fuses, Protection against earth leakage / over current, etc. Buchholtz relay, Merz-Price system of protection of generators & transformers, protection of feeders and bus bars.
- iii) Lightning arresters, various transmission and distribution system, comparison of conductor materials, the efficiency of different system.
- iv) Cable – Different type of cables, cable rating and derating factor.
- v) Different types of power stations, Load factor, diversity factor, demand factor, cost of generation, inter-connection of power stations.
Estimation and Costing
- i) Estimation of lighting scheme, electric installation of machines and relevant IE rules.
- ii) Earthing practices and IE Rules.
Utilization of Electrical Energy
- i) Illumination
- ii) Electric heating
- iii) Electric welding
- iv) Electroplating
- v) Electric drives and motors.
- i) Working of various electronic devices e.g. P N Junction diodes, Transistors (NPN and PNP type) BJT and JFET.
- ii) Simple circuits using these devices.
SSC JE Syllabus 2021 For Paper 2: Mechanical Engineering
Theory Of Machines and Machine Designs
- i) Concept of a simple machine, Four bar linkage and link motion, Flywheels and fluctuation of energy
- ii) Power transmission by belts – V-belts and Flat belts, Clutches – Plate and Conical clutch, Gears –Type of gears etc.
Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
- i) Equilibrium of Forces, Law of motion, Friction, Concepts of stress and strain, Elastic limit.
- ii) Elastic constants, Bending moments and shear force diagram, Stress in composite bars etc.
- i) Properties of Pure Substance1st & 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
- ii) Air standard Cycles for IC Engines.
- iii) Rakine Cycle of steam Boilers
Fluid Mechanics Machinery
- i) Properties & Classification of fluid
- ii) Fluid Statics
- iii) Measurement of Fluid Pressure
- iv) Fluid Kinematics
- v) Dynamics of Ideal Fluids
- vi) Measurement Of Flow Rate Basic Principles
- vii) Hydraulic Turbines
- viii) Centrifugal Pumps
- ix) Classification Of Steels
SSC JE Books
Books play an important role while preparing for a competative exams. Embibe lists you a few good SSC JE books for reference that you must read during your SSC JE preparation:
|SSC Junior Engineer Civil & Structural Recruitment Exam Guide 3rd Edition||Disha Experts|
|SSC Junior Engineers (Mechanical) Exam Guide (Popular Master Guide)||RPH Editorial Board|
|SSC JE Electrical Engineering for Junior Engineers Previous Year Solved Papers (2008-18), 2018-19 for Paper I||GKP|
|SSC (CPWD/CWC/MES) General Intelligence & Reasoning General Awareness for Junior Engineers Guide||GKP|
|General Knowledge||Manohar Pandey|
FAQs Regarding SSC JE Syllabus 2021
The frequently asked questions on SSC JE Syllabus are given below:
A. Staff Selection Commission prescribes SSC JE Syllabus. The syllabus is notified along with the notification.
A. Paper 1 consists of objective type of questions and paper 2 consists of descriptive types.
A. The SSC JE Syllabus for Paper 1 consists of General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness and General Engineering.
A. A total of 200 questions will be asked in SSC JE paper 1.
A. No, paper 2 will be branch specific and you have to appear for the exam as per your chosen branch of engineering.
We hope this detailed SSC JE Syllabus helps in your preparation. As you can see, SSC JE Paper 1 has General Intelligence and Reasoning and General Awareness sections. Practice SSC JE Previous Year’s Questions to increase your chances of selection. Make the best use of the free mock test series on Embibe and ace the exam.
If you have any queries regarding SSC JE Syllabus, drop them in the comment section below and we will get back to you at the earliest.2840 Views