CAT 2021: The exam will be conducted on November 28, 2021, for CAT exam. The admit card is available to download on the official website already. The candidates who have applied successfully can download the hall ticket and save it for future purposes. The applicants can download the CAT Admit Card 2021 from the official website. Those who have registered successfully can only download the hall ticket. The exam conducting authority is organizing the exam in CBT mode at around 400 test centres throughout India. Moreover, the exam will be conducted in three shifts i.e. morning shift (8:30 am to 10:30 am), afternoon shift (12:30 pm to 2:30 pm), and evening shift (4:30 pm to 6:30 pm). The total duration of the exam is two hours. Read this article or bookmark the page to get details regarding the exam date, centres, syllabus, exam pattern, answer key, result,etc.
Latest: IIM Ahmedabad has released the CAT 2021 admit card. Candidates can download the same below.
IIM CAT 2021 – Overview
CAT: Common Admission Test (CAT), a national-level entrance exam for admission to business administration courses (MBA/PGDM) in the prestigious Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Indian Institute of Science (IISc), and various other institutes all across the country.
|Exam Name||Common Admission Test (CAT) 2021|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad|
|Institutes Accepting CAT Score||IIMs, IITs, IISc and other participating institutes|
|Course||Postgraduate Management Programs (MBA/PGDM)|
|Level of Exam||National Level|
|Type of Questions||MCQs and Non-MCQs|
|Number of Sections||Three|
|Total Number of Questions||76|
|Time Duration||2 hours|
|Negative Marking||-1 for Incorrect Attempts in MCQ|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Score validity||One year|
Changes Made In CAT Exam
In the release of the CAT 2021 exam notification, IIM Ahmedabad, the exam conducting body has shared some updated information about CAT 2021.
- The application fee has been raised from Rs 2000 to Rs 2200 (for General category students) and from Rs 1000 to Rs 1100 for SC/ST/PwD candidates.
- The number of exam slot has been changed from two to three.
- Total questions will be 76 i.e. Verbal ability & Reading Comprehension -26 questions, Data Interpretation & logical reasoning will have 24 questions and quantitative ability will have 26 questions.
- Candidates can choose 6 preferred test cities from the list of 158 cities.
- After the closure of registration window, CAT centre 2021 will open CAT registration form edit window for 1-2 days. Candidates will be able to edit the following fields in application form i.e. photograph, signature and test city preference.
IIM CAT Exam Dates 2021
The candidate must keep a check on the timeline of various important events related to CAT. IIM Ahmedabad has released an official notification containing all the important dates of the exam. The candidate must make a note of important dates to avoid missing out on any important events. Check the table below to know the important events and dates of CAT 2021. Let’s have a look at the CAT Exam’s important dates 2021.
|Release of CAT Notification||July 31, 2021|
|Beginning of CAT 2021 Online Registration||August 4, 2021|
|Last Date to Apply for CAT 2021|
September 22, 2021
|Release of CAT Admit Card 2021||October 27, 2021|
|Last Date to Download CAT Admit Card||November 28, 2021|
|CAT 2021||November 28, 2021, in three sessions|
|Release of CAT Answer Key 2021||1st Week of December 2021|
|Challenge of CAT Answer Key||2nd Week of December 2021|
|Release of CAT Result||2nd Week of January 2022|
|CAT 2021 Selection||April 2022 to June 2022|
Note: CAT 2021 exam dates are subjected to change based on the decisions and directions issued by the Central & State governments, and CAT Group.
CAT Exam Eligibility Criteria
Before filling CAT application form, the candidate must read the eligibility criteria. IIM Ahmedabad has specified the requirement that candidates need to meet in order to appear in the entrance exam. Find below the eligibility criteria of CAT 2021:
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognized university |
Professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA)
Candidates in their final year of graduation can also apply.
|Qualifying Marks||Aggregate 50% marks or equivalent CGPA for General and OBC-NC category candidates, |
45% for reserved categories.
|Duration of Qualifying Course||Three years|
|Age Limit||No age limit|
It is to be noted that candidates in their final year of graduation must have completed the program at the time of admission to IIMs and other institutes accepting CAT scores.
Reservation Policy at IIMs:
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Classes||27%|
|Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD)||5%|
|Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)||Up to 10%|
CAT Registration Process
CAT 2021 registration window opens on August 4, 2021, and will close at 5 pm on September 15, 2021. Candidates will be able to apply for CAT only in the online mode. Follow the steps as under to fill up the CAT application form 2021 and apply for the exam:
- Visit the CAT official website – iimcat.ac.in.
- Click on “Register” under ‘New Candidate Registration’.
- Enter your basic details, like Name, Email ID, Mobile Number, etc. An OTP will be generated and sent to your mobile number to validate it. After successful validation, you will be registered and your “User ID” and “Password” will be generated.
- Use your User ID and Password to log in.
- Enter your Personal Details, Contact Details, Academic Details, Work Experiences, Program you are seeking admission to, preferred test cities. Also, upload scanned images of your Photograph, Signature as well as SC/ST/NC-OBC and/or PwD certificates (as applicable) in the prescribed format and dimension.
- Click on “Save & Continue” and review all the information you provided.
- Select the mode of payment and make the payment of the CAT application fee.
- A confirmation message will be sent to your email ID. Take a print out of the same for future reference.
IIM CAT 2021 Documents Required
It is highly essential that candidates must keep the essential documents handy as these are required during the procedure of uploading the documents. CAT application form requires some documents in order to successfully register for the same. The candidate must keep the below documents ready to ease the process of registration. This includes:
- Class 10 and 12 marksheets and graduation marksheets.
- Final year graduation student must have the final year certificate from HoD and must attach the previous year mark sheet.
- Date of birth certificate.
- Scanned images of passport size photograph and signature.
The photograph & signature specification is mentioned below:
|Description||Passport size photograph with white background|
|How Old?||Not older than 6 months|
|Dimension||30mm X 45mm|
|Size||Not more than 80kb|
|Format||jpg or jpeg|
|Dimension||80 mm X 35 mm|
|Size||Not more than 80kb|
|Format||jpg or jpeg|
CAT 2021 Application Fee
The CAT application fee for different categories are tabulated below:
|General Candidates||Rs 2200|
|SC/ST/PwD Candidates||Rs 1100|
The CAT application fee can be paid using:
Note that the CAT application fee can be paid only in the online mode. No facility to make the payment in the offline mode is available.
Guidelines To Follow For CAT Registration 2021
In order to successfully register for CAT 2021 application form, the candidate must read the below guidelines:
- Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are recommended browsers for online registration process.
- Candidate must keep all required details such as scanned images and documents ready so as there are no delays that the session expires.
- Keep all educational information & doucments handy to avoid uploading the wrong document.
- Ensure that photo, signature and other required documents required for CAT 2021 registration are ready to be uploaded in the specified format and size.
- Before the final submission, please re-check the details entered to avoid having any error.
- Candidate must select the preferred exam centres. Select convenient and easy accessible centres with less traffic issues.
CAT 2021 Application Form Correction Window
IIM Ahmedabad may open the correction window for CAT 2021 application form during the last week of September 2021 and this will remain open for two consecutive days. During this time, the candidate can correct all the mistakes made during uploading the document or filling the application form. Candidates can even make changes to CAT 2021 test city option. The candidate will just have to login with the credential and make changes.
CAT Exam Pattern 2021
Last year, the applicants have witnessed a change in the exam pattern due to COVID-19. However, the CAT exam pattern is the same as the last year. Candidates can check the exam patter below:
|CAT exam duration||2 hours|
|Total number of questions||76|
|Total questions in VARC section||26 questions|
|Total questions in DILR section||24 questions|
|Total questions in QA section||26 questions|
- – Candidates will be allotted exactly 40 minutes for answering questions in each section and they will not be allowed to switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section.
- – PwD category students will receive a total of 53 minutes and 20 seconds to complete any specific section of CAT exam.
- – Some questions in each section may not be of multiple-choice type. Instead, direct answers will have to be typed on the screen.
- – A basic on-screen calculator for computation is ALLOWED.
CAT 2021- Exam Schedule
Candidates who wish to fill the application form must do so by September 15, 2021. The candidate must even check the exam schedule here.
|Exam Shift||Reporting Time||Entry Closed||Exam Time|
|Forenoon session||7 am||post 8:15 am||8:30 am to 10:30 am|
|Afternoon session||11 am||post 12:15pm||12:30 pm to 2:30 pm|
|Evening session||3 pm||post 4:15 pm||4:30 pm to 6:30 pm|
Steps to be taken by candidates for CAT 2021
- Document Verification-
- CAT Admit Card (with affixed photograph)
- One originial valid photo identity proof such as Employer ID, driving License, passport, PAN card, Voter card, Aadhaar card, identification affidavit.
- After document verification, candidate must move to CAT exam lab.
- Registration process like capturing IRIS & photo.
- Sign the attendance sheet and begin the exam.
CAT 2021 Syllabus
IIM Ahmedabad does not officially release the CAT syllabus. Based on the past few year’s trends, we have listed the important topics for each section of CAT and the syllabus. The candidates appearing for CAT must resort to this and must prepare accordingly in order to be familiar with the exam pattern and syllabus. CAT 2021 syllabus comprises important CAT topics from Section mainly verbal ability, reading comprehension, data interpretation & logical reasoning & quantitative aptitude.
The CAT syllabus for all three sections are as under:
CAT Syllabus For Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension
- English Grammar
- One Word Substitution
- Verbal Reasoning
- Para Jumbles
- Para Completion and Inference
- Contextual Usage
- Verbal Logic
- Fill in the Blanks
- Different Usage of the Same Word
- Jumbled Paragraphs
- Reading Comprehension
- Phrases & Idioms
- Sentence Completion
- Foreign Language Words Used in English
- Sentence Completion
CAT Syllabus For Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning
- Pie Charts
- Data Sufficiency
- Line Graphs
- Family Tree
- Distance & Directions
- Blood Relations
- Seating Arrangements
- Venn Diagram
- Binary Logic
- Clocks and Calendars
- Data Structures
- Data Arrangements
CAT Syllabus For Quantitative Ability
- Surds and Indices
- Geometric Progression
- Number System
- Work and Time
- In-equations (Quadratic and Linear equations)
- Profit and Loss
- Partnership (Accounts)
- Ratio and Proportion
- HCF and LCM
- Time, Speed and Distance
IIM CAT Mock Tests
IIM Ahmedabad releases the CAT mock test on its official website. CAT mock test 2021 will help in providing a real picture of the actual CAT exam. IIM CAT mock test is an integral part of CAT preparation as this allows students to be familiar with the exam pattern. Before appearing for the mock test, the candidate should know the exam strategy and tips.
Taking up the free CAT mock test online is important for candidates as this is designed to help candidates get a feel of the CAT question paper. CAT 2021 mock test will help in identifying the weakness of candidates and analyzing their performance.
Benefits of CAT Mock test includes:
- Helps candidate understand the online process of CAT exam.
- CAT mock test provide reasonable understanding of question paper pattern and marking scheme.
- CAT online mock test helps in improving speed and accuracy in solving questions.
- Practicing mock tests will help in finding tricks and develop speed and even shortcuts to solve CAT question paper in least amount of time.
Steps To Use CAT Mock Test:
Candidates who wish to appear for CAT mock test must follow the below steps. This involves:
- Click on Mock Test link by visiting the official website.
- Sign in using registration number and password.
- Post login, candidate must read the general instructions for candidate page.
- Candidate must click on disclaimer check box on other important instructions for Candidate page.
- Click on “I am ready to begin” to start CAT mock test.
CAT Admit Card 2021
The CAT admit card 2021 has been released by the conducting authority on October 27, 2021 on the official website. Candidates have to log in to their account with their User ID and Password to download their admit card. No hard copy of the CAT Hall Ticket will be sent to the candidates. Admit card contains details such as name, date of birth, category, CAT entrance exam day instructions, exam date, emergency contact number, google map link, reference number, photograph etc.
Note: Candidates must download their admit card as soon as it releases and check all the details mentioned on it. In case of any discrepancy or missing details, candidates must contact the official authorities/helpdesk at the earliest and get it rectified.
Note that the CAT hall ticket is a document of utmost importance without which no candidates will be allowed to enter the exam hall. Also, the hall ticket should be preserved until the end of the admission process.
Steps To Download CAT 2021 admit card includes:
- Visit the official website.
- Login using CAT exam credentials like user ID & Password.
- Cat admit card will be displayed.
- Download the same and check the details mentioned.
- Keep a copy of admit card and preserve for admisison procedure
CAT Exam Centres 2021
- CAT 2021 will be conducted in test centers spread across approximately 159 cities.
- Candidates will be given the option to select six test cities in order of preference.
- Cities and centers will be assigned to the candidates only after the last date for CAT 2021 registration.
The concerned authorities will try their best to assign candidates to their first preferred city. In case this is not possible, they will assign the CAT test centre following the order of the candidate’s preferences. In the rare case that a candidate is not allotted any of the preferred cities, he/she will be allotted an alternate city. However, candidates will not be able to select the session because it will be assigned randomly
CAT 2021 Answer Key
The official authorities will release the provisional CAT answer key tentatively in the month of December 2021. This will help candidates get an idea about how much they are likely to score in the exam. The conducting body will also give candidates an opportunity to challenge the answer key if they think there are errors in it.
Once the objections are raised, the authorities will review the questions and make necessary changes in the answer key if the objections are found to be valid. The CAT result will be based on the final answer key of CAT.
IIM CAT 2021 Result
The authorities will declare the CAT result 2021 on the official website of CAT in the month of January 2022. Candidates will have to log in to their account with their User ID and Password to see their CAT 2021 result and download their CAT scorecard. No hard copy of the CAT scorecard will be sent to the candidates.
CAT scorecard will contain the overall as well as sectional percentile scores secured by the candidate.
Steps To Check CAT 2021 Result:
- Visit the official website and click on “Login” button.
- Enter the login details that includes CAT registration ID & password.
- By doing this, CAT 2021 Result or scorecard will appear on the screen.
- Download the same and save it for future use.
How To Calculate CAT Percentile Scores?
Steps to calculate CAT exam 2021 includes overall and sectional percentile scores. The procedure is shown below:
- Calculate the total number of candidates who appeared for CAT in all three slots.
- Assign rank on the basis of scaled scores obtained in QA section to all candidates who appeared for CAT exam. In case of two or more candidates obtaining identical scores in QA, same rank are assigned to the candidates.
- Calculate the percentile scores of candidate with rank in QA section.
- Round off calculated percentile score up to two decimal points.
What After CAT Result 2021?
As soon as CAT 2021 results are announced, candidates who meet the cutoff will be notified by email by the respective IIMs for further examination rounds. Each IIM will send the interview letter directly to the shortlisted candidates. IIMs usually follow a selection process i.e. Written ability test, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview rounds. Some IIMs also follow Common Admission Process for which candidate has to separately do the online registration once the minimum CAP cut-off percentile is matched.
CAT 2021 Cutoff
CAT 2021 cutoff is the minimum marks or percentile that is required to secure admissions in different IIMs. The minimum mark required for candidates to get a call from IIM is called CAT Cutoff 2021. CAT 2021 for the best IIMs is typically 99 to 100 percentile for General category and for the unreserved category is 97 to 98 percent.
MBA Admission Through CAT Score
After the CAT result is announced, the IIM Selection process and Admission will begin. Each IIM will set the CAT cut-off. Candidates must have scored equal to or more than the CAT cutoff in order to get admission to the particular IIM. Once the candidates are selected, the IIM Admission Process will begin.
Here is the overview of the selection process of IIMs and non-IIMs:
IIM Admission Process
- Screening of candidates on the basis of their CAT score
- Written Ability Test/Group Discussion/Personal Interview (WAT/GD/PI)
- Computation of Composite Score followed by final selection
Non-IIM Admission Process: Candidates can also seek admission to colleges other than IIMs. Such colleges may also conduct GD/ PI for admission to their MBA/ PGDM programs. However, there are a few colleges that accept students based on CAT score only.
CAT Entrance Exam- Important Features
Some of the salient features of CAT 2021 involves:
- Onscreen calculator in CAT exam
- CAT exam timer
- Question format of CAT 2021
- Facility to expand CAT question area
- Scrolling during CAT entrance exam
- Changing response in CAT exam
- Navigating through CAT sections
- Zoom options in CAT 2021
CAT 2021 – Exam Guidelines:
- Things that must be carried includes CAT 2021 admit card, original valid Identity card, mask, sanitizer, transparent water bottle, requisite medical certifiate.
- CAT dress code: socks, plain pullovers, sweaters, cardigans without any pocket cand be worn. Candidates who have metal implants, pacemakers will have to provdie the exam centre medical certificate.
- Once the exam starts, the clock inbuilt in the system will start ticking and displays the remaining available for curtrent sections.
- Candidate will automatically be moved to next sections after completion of one.
- Candidate can leave the CAT exam hall only after completion of 2 hours.
FAQs Regarding CAT Exam 2021
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding CAT Exam 2021:
| Q1. Will CAT be conducted in 2021? |
Ans: Yes, the CAT Exam will be conducted on November 28, 2021
| Q2. Is the CAT exam conducted twice a year? |
Ans: No the CAT Exam is conducted only once a year.
| Q3. How difficult is the CAT? |
Ans: The CAT Exam is generally moderate to tough. But if you are seeking admission to top colleges then it will be difficult.
| Q4. Is the calculator allowed in CAT? |
Ans: Yes, calculators are allowed in the cat exam.
| Q5. What is the fee for the CAT exam? |
Ans: This year, the CAT exam fee is Rs 2,200 (for General category students) and Rs 1,100 (for SC/ST/PwD candidates)
So, now you have all the necessary information regarding CAT Exam 2021. If you are serious about pursuing your MBA from one of the best management colleges in India, you should pull up your socks and take your CAT preparation seriously.
We hope this detailed article on CAT Exam 2021 helps you. If you have any queries regarding CAT 2021, feel free to ping us and we will get back to you.
Stay tuned to this article for more updates on CAT Exam 2021!