How To Become A Teacher: Teaching is a great career option, especially in a nation like India where education is the fundamental requirement for growth and modernization. Teachers are magicians who continuously have to challenge, inspire and promote their students.
The role of a teacher is not just teaching knowledge to the students but they are also responsible to build students’ self-esteem and further develop their moral growth. The demand for quality teachers is high at all levels of education. So the instructors who are willing to choose their career stream option as a teacher must be aware of how to become a teacher in India.
Here is an article on how to become a teacher after class 12 in order to help those instructors who want to dedicate themselves to educate students. Read on to find out how to become a teacher.
How To Become A Teacher
Before choosing a career stream as a teacher one must analyze if teaching is a right profession for he/she. A great teacher should have the following qualities:
How To Become A Teacher In India
There are 3 major steps to become a Teacher and the three major steps are listed below:
- Choose A Speciality
- Fulfill The Education Requirements
- Get Certified
How To Become A Teacher – Step 1: Choose A Speciality
Teaching is a full-time, demanding, yet rewarding job. So ask yourself what kind of teacher you would like to be. Ask yourself which grade students you really want to teach. Before choosing a specialty ask yourself the following questions:
- a)Determine which level students you would like to teach? Primary, Secondary or Higher Secondary?
- b)Which subject would you like to teach? Biology, Chemistry or all the Subjects?
- c)In which sector would you like to educate? Private, Public or Government Sector?
There are many teaching specialties with the education system:
- Subjects like reading, writing, arithmetic, social science, science, English etc., comes under Primary school subjects.
- Subjects like Hindi, English, foreign languages, math, science and technology, history, geography, civics, art, physical education etc., comes under secondary school subjects.
Choosing a specialty in education is big, so choose the right specialty where you would really like to make a difference.
How To Become A Teacher – Which Specialty Should I Choose?
If you have passion towards a specialty then it is well and good. But those instructors who are confused about their teaching specialty are advised not to worry about it. Because there are multiple fields where they can enter to make a difference. The multiple teaching paths are picturized below:
How To Become A Teacher – Step 2: Fulfill The Education Requirements
Basically, there are three levels of a teaching degree in the education sector and they are as follows:
If you would like to teach for primary students then you need a diploma degree that is D.Ted., and if you would like to teach for secondary students then you need a bachelors degree that is (B.Ed.,) whereas Masters degree that is (M.Ed.,) will be helpful for future promotions.
- a)The course duration of the Diploma (D.Ted.) and Bachelors (B.Ed.) programs are generally two years.
- b)The course duration of the Masters that is M.Ed. programs will be around one year.
- c)To study D.Ted., degree candidates must have passed the 12th standard (graduated from senior secondary school) with the minimum qualification.
- d)To study B.ED., degree candidates must requireBachelor’s of Arts or Sciences (B.A. or B.S.) degree.
- e)Having a B.Ed., degree is essential for getting an M.Ed degree.
How To Become A Teacher – Step 3: Get Certified
Now based on the list of degrees, choose whichever degree is appropriate for you according to specialty you have chosen for. Enroll yourself in a college or university to the programme which you want to study. Now pass the qualifying exam to get certified. Besides having a degree also ensure that you have a good academic record.
Note: If you want to teach in a government-owned school then you must clear the Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET) exam. Also, the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) offers preparatory curriculums for the exam and determines the minimum eligibility requirements for each year.
Now that you are provided all the necessary details regarding how to become a Teacher and we hope this detailed article on how to become a teacher in India is helpful. If you have any doubts regarding this article or how to become a teacher after class 12, kindly drop your comments below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.