JoSAA 2020 Counselling: The Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) has released the seat allotment result for Round 2 on October 21, 2020 at 10:00 PM as per the JoSAA 2020 schedule. Earlier, the authorities have released the result of Round 1 seat allotment for JoSAA 2020 counselling on Oct 17. Candidates who have successfully registered and filled their choices can check their allotment status and confirm their admission by October 24, 2020. As per JoSAA 2020 counselling schedule released on the official website, the registration and choice filling process was started on October 6 till October 15 (5:00 PM). The seat allotment result of JoSAA 2020 counselling will be announced in a total of six rounds with the Round 1 being successfully completed on October 20, 2020.
JoSAA is responsible for facilitating the admission into B.E./B.Tech courses in IITs, NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs. Candidates who have qualified in JEE Main and JEE Advanced are eligible to participate in the JoSAA Counselling 2020. It follows a simple process where the candidates have to register for JoSAA, enter the choices, and pay the prescribed fee to accept the seat allocated in the subsequent rounds of JoSAA Counselling 2020. In this article, we have provided you with all the details on JoSAA 2020 eligibility, registration, choice filling, seat allotment, and important dates. Continue reading this article to know more about the JoSAA 2020.
The Round 2 seat allotment result has been released by JoSAA. Candidates can check their allotment status by clicking on the link below.
What Is JoSAA Counselling?
Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) has been set up by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) to manage and regulate the seat allocation in 110 institutes all over the nation. JoSAA regulates the seat allocation for IITs, NITs, IIITs, IIEST, and GFTIs. Thus, in order to get admissions into the top engineering and technological Colleges, candidates will have to undergo the JoSAA Counselling.
JoSAA is a single platform that conducts the admission process for the courses offered in 23 IITs, 31 NITs, 27 IIITs, and 29 Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs). Before we get into the details of the JoSAA 2020 Counselling, let’s take a look at the important dates.
JoSAA 2020 Counselling Schedule
Let’s go through the JoSAA 2020 important dates. These dates are confirmed by the authorities at JoSAA:
|JEE Main Result||Released||Sep 11, 2020|
|Announcement Of JEE Advanced Result||Released||Oct 5, 2020|
|Registration/Choice Under JoSAA 2020 Starts||12:00||Oct 6, 2020|
|AAT-Specific Choices Starting From||10:00||Oct 11, 2020|
|JoSAA Mock Seat Allocation-1||10:00||Oct 12, 2020|
|Mock Seat Allocation-2||17:00||Oct 14, 2020|
|Registration/Choice Filling Ends||17:00||Oct 15, 2020|
|Reconciliation Of Data, Verification, And Validation Of Allocated Seats||–||Oct 16, 2020|
|Seat Allocation Round 1||10:00||Oct 17, 2020|
|Online Reporting||Oct 19, 2020 (By 17:00)||Oct 17 – 19, 2020|
|Last Day To Respond To Query (Round 1)||17:00||Oct 20, 2020|
|Display Of Seats Filled/Availability Status||10:00||Oct 21, 2020|
|Seat Allocation Round 2||22:00||Oct 21, 2020|
|Online Reporting||Oct 23, 2020 (By 17:00)||Oct 22 – 23, 2020|
|Last Day To Respond To Query (Round 2)||17:00||Oct 24, 2020|
|Withdrawal Of Seat/Exit From Seat Allocation Process (Round 2)||Oct 24, 2020 (By 17:00)||Oct 22- 24, 2020|
|Display Of Seats Filled/Availability Status||10:00||Oct 26, 2020|
|JoSAA Seat Allocation Round 3||17:00||Oct 26, 2020|
|Online Reporting||Oct 28, 2020 (By 17:00)||Oct 27 – 28, 2020|
|Last Day To Respond To Query (Round 3)||17:00||Oct 29, 2020|
|Withdrawal Of Seat/Exit From Seat Allocation Process (Round 3)||Oct 29, 2020 (By 17:00)||Oct 27 – 29, 2020|
|Display Of Seats Filled/Availability Status||10:00||Oct 30, 2020|
|Seat Allocation Round 4||17:00||Oct 30, 2020|
|Online Reporting||Nov 1, 2020 (By 17:00)||Oct 31 – Nov 1, 2020|
|Last Day To Respond To Query (Round 4)||By 17:00||Nov 2, 2020|
|Withdrawal Of Seat/Exit From Seat Allocation Process (Round 4)||Nov 2, 2020 (By 17:00)||Oct 31 – Nov 2, 2020|
|Display Of Seats Filled/Availability Status||10:00||Nov 3, 2020|
|Seat Allocation Round 5||17:00||Nov 3, 2020|
|Online Reporting||Nov 5, 2020 (By 17:00)||Nov 4 – 5, 2020|
|Last Day To Respond To Query (Round 5)||By 17:00||Nov 6, 2020|
|Notification Of The Decision On Seat Confirmation For Round 5||By 20:00||Nov 6, 2020|
|Withdrawal Of Seat/Exit From Seat Allocation Process. Last Round For Seat Withdrawal/Exit option (Round 5)||By 24:00||Nov 4 – 6, 2020|
|Display Of Seats Filled/Availability Status||10:00||Nov 7, 2020|
|JoSAA Seat Allocation (Round 6: Final Round For IITs)||17:00||Nov 7, 2020|
|Online Reporting (For IITs Only)||Nov 8, 2020 (By 17:00)||Nov 8, 2020|
|Last Day To Respond To Query (Round 6) (FINAL ROUND for IITs)||By 17:00||Nov 9, 2020|
|Admission Process||Nov 12, 2020 (By 17:00)||Nov 9 – 13, 2020 (for NIT+ system)|
JoSAA Counselling Eligibility Criteria
Due to partial cancelling of Class 12 exams by some boards this year, the Joint Admission Board (JAB) has relaxed the eligibility criterion for JEE Advanced qualified candidates. For those seeking admission through JoSAA Counselling 2020, these eligibility conditions should be met by the candidates:
- Qualifying JEE Advanced 2020 for various academic programs (excluding the preparatory courses) at IITs, OR
- Qualifying JEE Advanced 2020 for preparatory courses at IITs and must have a satisfactory performance in Class 12 (or equivalent) examinations, OR
- If a candidate is willing to appear for B.E or B.Tech Program, then they should adhere to the following points:
- – A rank in JEE Main 2020 Paper-1 for B.E./B.Tech. Programs at NITs, IIITs, and Other-GFTIs
- – Passed Class 12 (or equivalent) exam with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/Technical Vocational subject.
- If any candidate is willing to apply for the Architecture Program, then they should read the following points:
- – Secure a rank in JEE Main 2020 Paper-2 for B. Arch. with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics for programs at NITs, IIEST, IIITs, and Other-GFTIs.
- – Secure a rank in JEE Main 2020 Paper-3 for B. Planning with Mathematics as a compulsory subject for programs at NITs, IIEST, IIITs, and Other-GFTIs.
Here is a simple structure that JoSAA follows:
|Qualifying Examinations||Institutes Offering Admissions|
|JEE Main 2020 Paper 1 (B.E./B.Tech), Paper 2 (B.Arch0, Paper 3 (B.Planning)||National Institute of Technology (NITs), Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) and Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs).|
|JEE Advanced 2020||Indian Institute of Technology (IITs)|
JoSAA 2020 Counselling Process
The JoSAA Counselling will be conducted for all the eligible candidates. There are 5 steps involved in the complete JoSAA 2020 counselling procedures:
- Choice Filling
- Locking of Choices
- Seat Allotment/Acceptance
So, let’s go through the details of the above-mentioned steps of JoSAA Counselling to understand the complete process:
JoSAA 2020 Counselling Registration
Candidates will have to log in to their account using their credentials and fill in the JoSAA Counselling form with the basic details such as state eligibility code, contact information, etc. Candidates qualified in JEE Main will have to enter their JEE Main 2020 roll number and password. On the other hand, candidates qualified in JEE Advanced will have to enter their login ID and Password of JEE Advanced.
- – 1st Step: Visit the official JoSAA Website at josaa.nic.in and click on “Online Registration and Choice Filling”.
- – 2nd Step: Login using the JEE Main or JEE Advanced Application Number (as per your eligibility), Password, and Security Pin. Then, click on “Login”.
- – 3rd Step: Go to the Candidate’s Profile and ensure that all the personal details shown are correct. Only the contact and some basic details can be changed if required.
- – 4th Step: Click on the Change Password tab and complete this compulsory process.
- – 5th Step: Click on “Submit Changes”.
Please note that JoSAA registration is the first step to participate in the JoSAA Counselling 2020. Without this, candidates won’t be able to participate in the admission process. Moreover, candidates should recheck their details before submitting them and make sure that it is correct.
JoSAA Counselling: Choices Filling
After successful registration, the available choices will be listed on your screen in the next window. Candidates will have to fill up the details of the choices in descending order of their preference and they need to make sure that they fill as many choices as possible, based on their preference. You can also follow the steps mentioned as under:
- – 1st Step: After registration, candidates will have to fill their preferred colleges and specialization from the list of available institutes and programs.
- – 2nd Step: Click on “Choices Available” to view the options that the candidate has as per their qualifying status.
- – 3rd Step: After that, go to ‘Choice Filling & Locking’, fill your preferred choices to enhance your chances of getting a seat.
JoSAA 2020: Locking Of Choices
After filling the choices, candidates will have to lock these preferences for seat allotment. You can follow the steps below:
- – 1st Step: After filling the choices, candidates have to lock their selection which can be done by clicking on “I agree to lock my choices”.
- – 2nd Step: In case of any modification, candidates can click on “I will lock my choices later”. It is important to update your preferences within the deadline dates.
- – 3rd Step: Finally, take a print out of selected options for further use.
If a candidate does not lock his/her choices, then their last saved choices will be locked automatically when the time window for the filling in of choices closes.
JoSAA 2020 Counselling & Seat Allotment
JoSAA has allocated the seats for the first and second rounds after considering various factors. Earlier, JoSAA had conducted 2 rounds of mock allotment for students to get familiarized with the choice filling and seat allotment process. Mock seat allotment was done so that the students get an idea of the seat allotment process. Aspirants were then able to modify their choices after the mock allotment for the actual Round 1 seat allotment.
A total of 6 rounds of seat allocation will take place and candidates will have to take a decision on the seat allocated to them. The procedure for seat acceptance is given in the next section.
JoSAA Counselling 2020: Seat Acceptance
After seats are allotted, candidates can choose one of these options:
- Freeze: The option indicates that the candidate has accepted the seat allocated and is not interested in participating in further rounds of counselling.
- Slide: This option indicates that the candidate has accepted the seat but, if the admissions are open in a better course in the same institute, he/she will go for an up-gradation.
- Float: This option indicates that the candidate wishes to accept the present allocated seat but is also looking for an up-gradation if admissions are open in a better/higher preferred institute and course.
- Withdraw: If any candidate has already accepted the allotted seat, he/she may withdraw the seat by reporting at the allotted institute before the final round of seat allotment.
Seat acceptance fee for general candidates is Rs. 35,000, whereas, for SC, Gen-PwD, ST, OBC-NCL-PwD, ST-PwD, and SC-PwD, the fee is Rs. 15,000. It can be paid through online payment modes (Credit Card, Debit Card and Netbanking).
JoSAA 2020: Reporting To The College
Once the candidate has opted for the freeze option, it indicates that he/she is satisfied with the allotted seat and will have to report to the reporting center. The candidate will have to report to the reporting center and get their documents verified. Then, the candidate will have to report to the college as per schedule with the required documents and admission fee.
Please note that the candidate can withdraw an accepted seat up to the sixth round of seat allotment.
JoSAA Counselling & Seat Allotment: Dual Reporting
Candidates who have been allocated a different seat from the previous allotment have to go to the reporting center again. For example, if a candidate has been allocated an NIT in the previous round and has now been allocated an IIT then he/she needs to visit the reporting center once again.
JoSAA 2020 Counselling: Documents To Carry
The following documents are important to be carried along to the reporting center for verification:
- Provisional Seat Allotment Letter
- Passport Size Photograph
- Fee Acceptance Receipt
- Photo Card ID
- JEE Main Admit Card / JEE Advanced Admit Card
- JEE Main Score Card / JEE Advanced Score Card
- Undertaking by the candidate as per government
- Class 10 Mark Sheet
- Class 12 Mark Sheet
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
- PwD Certificate (if applicable)
Important Points About JoSAA 2020
Note the following points related to JoSAA 2020.
- Candidates who fail to register will not be able to participate in JoSAA Counselling.
- Candidates will have to fill in the choices. Otherwise, they will not be eligible for any seat allotment.
- Dual Reporting (Two Times Reporting) is necessary for candidates if they get another seat during subsequent seat allotment and they wish to take the later one instead.
- Make sure to double-check the choices you have entered as you will not be able to change the choices once the choices are locked.
JoSAA Seat Allotment In IITs
IITs follow a different set of rules for the seat allocation processes of students under different categories to specific courses. The details of those courses and student category are mentioned below:
For DS (Defence Service) students
- In IITs, two (2) seats will be allocated to the DS category students.
- A candidate must be in the JoSAA Common Rank List (CRL).
- Such students will be counted under their birth category (if any) along with the DS category.
- Candidates with foreign tags will be considered under GEN category.
- They must be in the CRL and should fulfill every eligibility requirement for the GEN category.
- Seats allocated to such candidates will have the provision of being supernumerary. The number of supernumerary seats will comprise 10% of the total number of seats.
- The foreign candidates will not be considered under JoSAA counselling for admission to NITs, IIEST, IIITs and GFTIs.
- Unfilled OPEN-PwD seats will be assigned to the applicants in CRL-PwD preparatory rank list in case no more applicants in the CRL-PwD rank list have opted for it.
- OBC-NCL-PwD seats that remain unfilled will be allocated to applicants in OBC-NCL-PwD preparatory rank list in case there are no more applicants in the OBC-NCL-PwD rank list.
- The SC-PwD seats that go unfilled will be allocated to applicants in the SC-PwD preparatory rank list in case there are no more applicants in the SC-PwD rank list.
- The remaining vacant ST-PwD seats will be allocated in ST-PwD preparatory rank list.
- SC seats remaining vacant will be assigned to the applicants in the SC preparatory rank list.
- The remaining unfilled ST seats will be allocated to applicants in the ST preparatory rank list in case there are no more applicants in the ST rank list who have opted for it.
- Remaining OBC category seats will be de-reserved and considered as OPEN category seats in every round of seat allocation.
- Please note that there will be no de-reservation for SC/ST category seats.
JoSAA 2020 Seat Matrix
In total, there are about 110 participating institutions under JoSAA 2020 which allot the seats for admissions in the various engineering courses offered in the Institutes accepting the JEE Main and JEE Advanced scores.
|Institutes||Number of Institutions||Seat Matrix|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IITs)||23||11279|
|National Institute of Technology (NITs)||31||4617 Seats, 290 EWS and 15 EWS-PwD Seats|
|Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs)||27||20428 Seats, 344 EWS and 78 EWS-PwD Seats|
|Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs)||29||5766 Seats, 321 EWS and 12 EWS-PwD Seats|
JoSAA Previous Year Counselling Results
In this section, we have provided you with the complete results for JoSAA Counselling 2019. This will give you an idea of whether you’ll be able to get your dream college with your current rank or not. To view the results, just click on the “Click Here” link and you’ll be good to go.
Top 20 Percentile Scores
|JoSAA Counselling 2019 Top 20 percentile for IITs||Click Here|
|JoSAA Counseling 2019 Top 20 percentile for NITs, IIITs, and other GFTIs||Click Here|
|JoSAA Round 1 Opening and Closing Rank||Click Here|
|Institute Wise Round 1 – Allotment of Seats in Academic Programs||Click Here|
|JoSAA Round 2 Opening and Closing Rank||Click Here|
|Institute Wise Round 2 – Allotment of Seats in Academic Programs||Click Here|
|JoSAA Round 3 Opening and Closing Rank||Click Here|
|Institute Wise Round 3 – Allotment of Seats in Academic Programs||Click Here|
|JoSAA Round 4 Opening and Closing Rank||Click here|
|Institute Wise Round 4 – Allotment of Seats in Academic Programs||Click here|
|JoSAA Round 5 Opening and Closing Rank||Click here|
|Institute Wise Round 5 – Allotment of Seats in Academic Programs||Click here|
|JoSAA Round 6 Opening and Closing Rank||Click here|
|Institute Wise Round 6 – Allotment of Seats in Academic Programs||Click here|
FAQs Regarding JoSAA Counselling
Let’s take a look at some of the important FAQs related to JoSAA 2020 counselling in this section:
Ans: The JoSAA registration and choice locking was started on October 6, 2020, at 12:00 noon till October 15, 2020 (5:00 PM).
Ans: JoSAA is the conducting authority to facilitate the admission process into 23 IITs, 31 NITs, 27 IIITs, and 29 Other-Government Funded Technical Institutes (Other-GFTIs) across the country.
Ans: A special vacant seats filling round, which is called the special round, is conducted by the Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB) to fill the vacant seats at NITs, IIEST, IIITs, and other GFTIs (Except IITs) after completion of different JoSAA counselling rounds.
Ans: All candidates who have qualified in the JEE Main 2020 or JEE Advanced 2020 are eligible to register and appear for JoSAA 2020 counselling and seat allotment procedure. It is mandatory to register for JoSAA if you want to participate in the admission process.
Ans: JoSAA counselling will be conducted online in six rounds. Candidates have to register and lock their choices. In the seat allotment process, they’ll be asked to make a decision on whether they want to go with the current seat allotment. If they want to accept the seat, then the respective payment process has to be completed. However, if they want to participate in further rounds, then they can participate in the next rounds.
We have now provided you with all the details on JoSAA 2020 counselling and seat allotment process. It is extremely important for the candidates to be aware of the counselling process because they cannot afford to make any mistake during their JoSAA Counselling 2020. Understand the counselling process conducted by JoSAA and make sure you follow the same.
We hope that this article has been helpful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to post in the comment box below and we will get back to you at the earliest. Embibe wishes and hope that you’ll surely get into your dream college.
Stay tuned to embibe.com for the latest updates on JoSAA 2020 Counselling.282 Views