SSC CGL Books 2020: The SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam is conducted for the recruitment of candidates in Grade “B” and “C” category posts in various Government Ministries, Departments, and Offices. Lakhs of candidates appear for this exam for a few thousand vacancies, making the exam highly competitive. SSC CGL books prove to be the most important resource while preparing for the exam.
In this situation, cracking SSC CGL and securing a highly paid government job becomes quite challenging. Candidates will have to plan & act smart to achieve this goal. As a part of the study plan comes the selection of the right study material. Time is of utmost value and candidates cannot afford to spend it unnecessarily researching about the best books for SSC CGL 2020. In this article, we have prepared a compact list of the best SSC CGL Books that are recommended for SSC CGL preparations. Read on to find out!
SSC CGL Books 2020
Before we get into the detailed list of SSC CGL books, let’s have an overview of SSC CGL 2019-20.
|Organization||Staff Selection Commission|
|Examination Name||Combined Graduate Level Examination|
|Selection Stages||Four (Tier I, II, III & IV)|
|Job Location||Pan India|
|Number of Posts||34|
|Exam Languages||English & Hindi|
Best Books For SSC CGL 2020 Preparation
There are four major subjects to study for SSC CGL exam namely, Quantitative Aptitude, English Language, Reasoning, and General Awareness. Besides that, solving previous year papers will also help you a lot. Let’s go through the list of best books for SSC CGL recommended by experts.
SSC CGL Books For Quantitative Aptitude
The list of best books for Quantitative Aptitude are as follows:
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by R.S. Aggarwal
- Arihant’s Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
- Magical Book On Quicker Maths
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Arihant Publications – Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
- Quicker Maths by M Tyra (For beginners)
- Mathematics Class 11th and 12th y R.D. Sharma
- Elementary and Advanced Mathematics by Kiran Publication
SSC CGL Books For English Language
The list of the best book for English Language is as follows:
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi (Arihant)
- Quick Learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations by H M Prasad
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension – By Arun Sharma
- Wren & Martin – High School English Grammar and Composition
- Perfect Competitive English V.K. Sinha
- Competitive General English Kiran Prakashan
SSC CGL Books For Reasoning
The best books to prepare for the reasoning section are as follows:
- Analytical Reasoning by M K Pandey
- Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning by R S Aggarwal
- New Approach to Reasoning Verbal, Non-Verbal & Analytical by BS Sijwali, Indu Sijwal
- Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S Aggarwal
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT and How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for the CAT by Arun Sharma
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
SSC CGL Books For General Awareness
The list of best books to prepare for the General Awareness Section are as follows:
- Competition Success Review
- General Knowledge Dr. Binary Karn (Lucent Publications)
- Manorama Yearbook 2020 (English/ Hindi)
- India 2020 (English/ Hindi)
SSC CGL Previous Year Papers – Books
The following book can be referred to go through the previous year’s papers.
- Solved Papers SSC CGL Combined Graduate Level Pre Examination Tier-I by Arihant
- Kiran’s SSC CGL Combined Graduate Level Exams Question Bank
- SSC CGL 50 Practice Papers Combined Graduate Level Tier-I Examination by Arihant
Quick Note: Candidates can solve NCERT class 10 Maths & English books for preparing particular sections since most of the questions are based on NCERT Books.
SSC CGL 2020 Selection Process
As you have gone through the list of SSC CGL books, let’s also understand the selection process of SSC CGL 2020.
|Tier – I||Written Examination (Multiple Choice – Computer Based Test)|
|Tier – II||Written Examination (Multiple Choice – Computer Based Test)|
|Tier – III||Descriptive Test (Pen and Paper Mode)|
|Tier – IV||Data Entry Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test(wherever applicable)/ Document Verification|
SSC CGL 2020 Tier 1 Exam Pattern
After having the knowledge of the best books for SSC CGL 2020, let’s go through the examination scheme to start your preparation. The Tier 1 SSC CGL exam pattern is given below.
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||25||50|
The maximum time allocated to complete the test is 60 minutes. There is a negative marking of 0.50 Marks for each wrong answer.
SSC CGL 2020 Tier 2 Exam Pattern
Candidates who qualify tier 1 are eligible for tier 2 exam. The exam pattern is tabulated below:
|English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200|
SSC CGL 2020 Tier 3 Exam Pattern
Tier 3 exam is descriptive in nature that tests the Writing skills of a candidate in Hindi or English.
|Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (Essay Writing, Precis, Letter, Application, etc.)||100||60 minutes|
SSC CGL 2020 Tier 4 Exam Pattern
The tier 4 exam has 2 parts. The first part is for analyzing the typing skills of a candidate and the 2nd part checks the software skills of an aspirant -MS Office.
|DEST Test||2000 words in 15 minutes on a computer in English|
|CPT Test||Proficiency in MS Office|
How To Prepare For SSC CGL?
SSC CGL is one of the most sought exams by aspirants and almost 2-3 lakhs candidates take the exams every year. The exam follows a set pattern for Tier 1 and Tier 2. If a candidate is committed and focused he/she can crack the exam easily. We already explained the exam pattern for Tier I-IV exams based on that you must prepare your strategy. Below are a few points that you can follow to ace the exam:
- Focus equally on all the 4 topics for tier I exam.
- For current affairs make a habit of reading newspapers daily
- Be focused and committed
- Take regular mock tests
- Seek the help of important books mentioned in this article
- Time management is of utmost importance.
Frequently Asked Questions On SSC CGL
Check out the FAQs that candidates generally ask:
A1: SSC CGL Preparation requires covering all the 4 sections and books for each section is different. You can refer to this article for the best books for each section.
A2: The best books to prepare the English section of SSC CGL
a) Objective General English by SP Bakshi (Arihant)
b) Quick Learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
c) Objective English for Competitive Examinations by H M Prasad
d) How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension – By Arun Sharma
A3: SSC CLG requires a well-planned preparation. You can follow this link to get all the preparation tips regarding SSC CGL Preparation in one month. – https://www.embibe.com/exams/ssc-cgl-preparation/
A4: Yes. Candidates can clear the CGL exam in 6 months. The exams require a systematic approach with proper time management and smart work. Be confident, regular, and committed and you will surely clear the exam.
A5: You can rely on The Hindu, Times of India, Hindustan Times, and other such papers for current affairs preparation.
A6: Yes, Maths is one of the most important subjects for the CGL exam. There are 25 questions in tier 1 and 100 questions in tiers 2.
A7: The toughness of the exam depends on your skills and preparation. A lot of candidates are able to clear the exam with just 2 months’ preparation. If you are dedicated and have all the resources you can clear the exam easily.
A8: The CGL exam is conducted in 4 stages namely Tier I to Tier IV. A candidate must clear all the stages to get a job. Since all the stages are different therefore aspirants must strategies for each stage separately. However, the general rule to clear an exam is to be committed, dedicated, know the exam pattern and syllabus, gather all the resources, and give your 100%.
A9: The best books for CGL Tier 1 and 2 are:
Maths – Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Kumar Verma
English – Objective General English by SP Bakshi (Arihant)
Reasoning – Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning by R S Aggarwal
General Awareness – Lucent
We have now provided you with all the details on the best books for SSC CGL 2020. Refer to these books and also keep track of the SSC CGL Syllabus which you need to cover. Besides that, you must also have a good knowledge of the exam pattern. Make sure that you cover the syllabus on time and also dedicate time for revision. Besides that, you can also take SSC CGL Mock Tests to ensure score improvement. Embibe provided you with Free SSC CGL Mock Tests which will help you to know where you stand with the present level of preparation. This will also help you know where you are going wrong. Working on these mistakes will help you score better.
We hope this detailed article on SSC CGL Books helps you. For any queries drop a comment below and we will get back to you.8433 Views