About SSC Stenographer Exam 2022
SSC Stenographer Grade C and D Exam is a national level exam conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC). Candidates are recruited for Grade C (Group B, Non-Gazetted) and Grade D (Group C) positions for various ministries/departments/organisations of the Indian government. The official notification was released on August 20, 2022.
Candidateseligible for the SSC Stenographer 2022 drive were allowed to apply for the exam between August 20 and September 5, 2022. Recently it is announced that the SSC Stenographer Computer-based Test will be held on November 17 and 18, 2022.
SSC Stenographer 2022 Exam Summary
The following table includes the important details of the SSC Stenographer Grade C & D exam 2022:
||Staff Selection Commission
||Once a year
|Mode of Exam
||Recruitment of Stenographer Grade C (Group B Non-Gazetted) and Stenographer Grade D (Group C) in the Government of India
||To Be Released
||Computer Based Test: Two hours
Skill Test: 10 minutes
|Language/ Medium of Exam
||English and Hindi
SSC Stenographer Exam Latest Updates
Check all the latest updates on SSC Stenographer Grade C and D 2022 exam below:
- September 7, 2022: SSC Stenographer 2022 application form correction window opens.
- September 2, 2022: The exam dates were announced. Download SSC Stenographer 2022 CBE dates notice PDF here.
- August 20, 2022: SSC Stenographer Notification 2022 was out; Candidates could apply online until September 5, 2022.
- March 10, 2022: SSC Stenographer Grade C, D 2019 Skill Test results were announced on the official website.
SSC Stenographer Notification 2022
The commission issued the notification, which included all information about this recruitment drive, such as the exam date, vacancy, eligibility criteria, application form, exam pattern and so on. For the candidate’s reference, we have provided a direct link to download the SSC Steno 2022 notification PDF below:
SSC Stenographer Important Dates 2022
|Release of SSC Stenographer Official Notification
||August 20, 2022
|Starting for SSC Stenographer Applying Online
||August 20, 2022
|Last Date for SSC Stenographer Applying Online
||September 5, 2022
|SSC Stenographer 2022 CBT Examination
||November 17 and 18, 2022
|SSC Stenographer Recruitment 2022 Results Announcement
||To be announced
|Skill Test Date
||To be announced
|SSC Stenographer 2022 Final Result Declaration
||To be announced
SSC Stenographer Vacancy 2022
SSC Stenographer Vacancies 2022 will be released shortly. A total of 757 vacancies for Stenographer Grade D and 85 for Stenographer Grade C were declared in the year 2020. The vacancy breakdown for SSC Stenographer 2020 is provided below:
||Number of Vacancies
|Stenographer Grade 'D'
|Stenographer Grade 'C'
SSC Stenographer Salary & Job Profile 2022
Before applying for the SSC Stenographer Grade C and D exam, applicants should be aware of the job profile and salary.
SSC Stenographer Grade C and D Salary
The salary structure for SSC Steno Grade C and D is provided below:
||SSC Stenographer Grade C Salary (In INR)
||SSC Stenographer Grade D Salary (In INR)
||4,200 or 4,600 (Pay Grade 2)
||2,400 (Pay Grade 1)
SSC Stenographer Job Profile
Candidates who are preparing for the SSC Stenographer test would be interested in learning about the job roles/ tasks of the stenographer. The duties of an SSC Stenographer vary depending on the grade and location of the posting.
The primary responsibility of a Stenographer is to help their senior/supervisors in various ministries and departments with various tasks like
- Preparation/ Taking Notes of Speeches: Helping government leaders to prepare their speeches and taking notes when they are delivered.
- Briefings: Providing feedback to press releases while attending press conferences or meetings and taking quick notes.
- Assisting the Minister or Officer: Aiding top authorities to discharge their responsibilities in a seamless manner.
- Helping in Public Relations: Public Relations Officers help to make the government's position apparent.
SSC Stenographer Eligibility Criteria 2022
The SSC Stenographer 2022 eligibility criteria can be classified under age, education qualification and reservation category. To apply for this post, candidates are suggested to go through the eligibility criteria from the following sections:
SSC Steno Nationality
Candidates must be Indian Citizens or any of the following categories:
- A Subject of Nepal, or
- A Subject of Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A Person of Indian origin who migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania (Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Candidates, except Indian citizens, must bring a certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India at the time of appointment.
SSC Steno Age Criteria
- Candidates must be between the age of 18 and 30 for Grade-C and between 18 and 27 for Grade D.
- Candidates from the SC/ST/OBC/PH/Ex-Servicemen, Central Government Employees, and J&K domiciled categories are eligible for age relaxation as per Government of India rules.
SSC Steno Age Relaxation
There is a separate age relaxation limit for each group. The official relaxation offered for various categories in the SSC Stenographer exam may be as given below:
||Upper Age Limit/ Age Relaxation
|Defence Personnel handicapped while on duty during conflicts with any foreign country or in a troubled region and discharged as a result of their service
|Defence personnel who are crippled while serving in a foreign country's military or in a troubled region and are discharged as a result (SC/ ST) Central
|Disabled military personnel who were operating during conflicts with any foreign country or in a troubled region and were subsequently released
|Employees of the Central Government who have served for at least three years in a regular and continuous capacity as of the closing date for the acceptance of online applications.
|Employees of the Central Government who have served for at least three years in a regular and continuous capacity as of the closing date for the acceptance of online applications. (SC/ST)
|Remarried Widows/ Divorced Women/ Women who were judicially separated (SC/ ST)
|Duty clerks in the last year of their colour service in the armed forces
|Duty clerks who have completed their colour service in the military and are in their last year
|Widows/divorcees/judicially separated women who haven't remarried
|Registrar General of India (RG) census workers who were laid off (They will only be considered for positions inside RGI based on their order of merit and the number of openings that exist)
||3 years plus the time they spent working on the census before they were laid off and their previous work was weighed.
SSC Stenographer Educational Qualification
Below are the required educational qualification for SSC Stenographer
- Candidates must have passed the 10+2/ Intermediate or an equivalent test from a recognised institution of higher learning.
- Applicants will be required to produce documents such as Marksheets, Provisional Certificates indicating the above.
Candidates who can provide documents to show that their qualifying examination results were released on or before the cut-off date and that they have been declared passed will also be considered.
SSC Stenographer Number of Attempts
Candidates can take the SSC Stenographer exam as many times as they like until they are no longer qualified to do so due to age/ category criteria.
SSC Stenographer Application Form 2022
There are 3 stages in the SSC Stenographer Exam application process. They are as follows:
- Candidate Registration
- Application Form Filling
- Application Fee Payment
The step-wise process to complete each of the above-mentioned processes is given below.
Part I: SSC Stenographer Registration Process
- Candidates must click on 'Register Now' on the official website of SSC at ssc.nic.in
- They must register by providing their name, father's name, mother's name, date of birth, their Class 10 test details, and their highest degree of educational qualification.
- Candidates must also scan and submit digital photographs of their identification and signature.
- They are required to give their Aadhaar/Identity Card numbers.
- He/She should include a working phone number, email address, and mailing address.
- They will be asked to validate their cellphone number and email address through the verification process.
- Upon confirmation, a registration number and password will be generated. The same will be delivered to the candidate's registered mobile number and email address.
- They can now log in with their new username and password and complete additional fields like category, country, and so on.
- Different One-Time Passwords (OTPs) will be issued to the registered cellphone number of applicants once they click on "Final Submit".
- Candidates must finish the registration procedure by entering the OTPs in the form.
- Click on the 'I Agree’ button before clicking the ‘Submit’button.
Part II: Filling out the Online Application Form
- Candidates must use their registration number and password to access their accounts.
- Apply for Stenographer Grade "C" and "D" Examination 2022 by clicking on the "Apply" link in the "Latest Notifications" section.
- A candidate may select three examination centres within the same region, in order of priority. Under no circumstances will a request to change the location of the examination be considered later. Thus, applicants must carefully select the centres and correctly indicate the same in their applications.
- They can choose either English or Hindi as their examination medium.
- Candidates must pick a job first.
- Then select the 'I Agree' option after inputting the details.
Part III: Pay SSC Stenographer Application Fee
- Pay the required application fee.
- There are two ways to pay the SSC Steno application fees: either online or offline. The fee can be paid online using net banking, credit card, or debit card, or offline with an e-challan. Check the SSC Stenographer Recruitment Application Fee listed below
||No Fee (Exempted)
- Save a copy of the application form for the records.
Get detailed information on SSC Stenographer 2022 Apply Online Form
SSC Stenographer Exam Centres 2022
The SSC Stenographer exam is conducted in nearly every city throughout the country. The following table provides the list of all test locations.
|SSC Northern Region (NR) Rajasthan, Delhi, Uttarakhand
||Delhi, Ajmer, Alwar, Bharatpur, Bikaner, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Sikar, Sriganganagar, Udaipur, Dehradun, Haldwani, Haridwar, Roorkee
|SSC Central Region (CR) Uttar Pradesh, Bihar
||Bhagalpur, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Agra, Bareilly, Gorakhpur, Jhansi, Kanpur, Lucknow, Meerut, Prayagraj, Varanasi
|SSC Western Region (WR) Maharashtra, Gujrat, Goa
||Panaji, Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara, Amravati, Aurangabad, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Pune
|SSC Eastern Region (ER) West Bengal, Orissa, Jharkhand, Andaman Nicobar Island, Sikkim
||Port Blair, Ranchi, Bhubaneshwar, Cuttack, Sambalpur, Gangtok, Kolkata, Siliguri
|SSC Southern Region (SR) Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu
||Guntur, Kurnool, Rajahmundry, Tirupati, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Puducherry, Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Hyderabad, Warangal
|SSC North Eastern Region (NER) Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura, Nagaland, Mizoram
||Itanagar, Dibrugarh, Guwahati (Dispur), Jorhat, Silchar, Churachandpur, Imphal, Ukhrul, Shillong, Aizawl, Kohima, Agartala
|SSC North Western Region (NWR) Haryana, Punjab, J&K Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh
||Chandigarh, Hamirpur, Shimla, Jammu, Samba, Srinagar, Leh, Amritsar, Jalandhar
|SSC Kerala Karnataka Region (KKR) Karnataka, Kerala
||Belagavi, Bengaluru, Hubballi, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Mangaluru, Mysuru, Shivamogga, Udupi, Ernakulam, Kannur, Kollam, Kottayam, Kozhikode, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur
|SSC Madhya Pradesh Region (MPR) Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh
||Bilaspur, Durg-Bhilai, Raipur, Bhopal, Gwalior, Indore, Jabalpur, Sagar, Satna, Ujjain
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2022
The SSC Stenographer Exam 2022 is conducted in following phases; one is a computer-based test, and the other is a skill test. Candidates must familiarise themselves with the exam pattern to easily attempt the questions and score high marks.
Read the following sections to understand SSC Stenographer Grade C and D selection process:
SSC Stenographer Grade C and D Selection Process
There are three stages of the selection procedure for SSC Stenographer Grade C and Grade D. Check the same below:
- Stage 1: Computer Based Test (CBT)
- Stage 2: Skill Evaluation or Skill Test
- Stage 3: Document Verification
SSC Stenographer Grade C and D Exam Pattern
The SSC Stenographer exam pattern is divided into two sections CBT and skill test. Candidates will be awarded 1 mark for each correct answer. Each incorrect answer will deduct a negative mark of 0.25. Moreover, the total duration of the test is two hours.
SSC Steno Computer-Based Test Pattern
The following table lists the various sections, the number of questions in each section, and maximum marks for CBT:
||Number of Questions/ Maximum Marks
|General Intelligence & Reasoning
|English Language & Comprehension
SSC Steno Skill Test Pattern
Those who clear the Computer Based Test will be eligible for the next stage, which is called the Skill Test. The following table lists the pattern of the skill test:
||Time Duration (In Duration in Minutes)
|Stenographer Grade D
|Stenographer Grade D
|Stenographer Grade C
|Stenographer Grade C
The details of the SSC Stenographer Skill Test are given below:
|10 minutes dictation in English/Hindi
||For Grade C
||100 words per minute
|For Grade D
||80 words per minute
|Transcription of the dictation on a computer
||For Grade C
||40 min (English), 55 min (Hindi)
|For Grade D
||50 min (English), 65 min (Hindi)
- Candidates with disabilities (such as blindness, locomotor difficulty, and cerebral palsy) will be given additional time. Stenographer Grade C applicants will be given 55 minutes for English transcription and 75 minutes for Hindi transcription. Candidates for Stenographer Grade D will be given 70 minutes for English and 90 minutes for Hindi transcription.
- The Skill Test will be a qualifying test in which SSC will determine the qualifying requirements for various groups of candidates.
After passing both the CBT and the Skill Test, the applicant will advance to the Document Verification step. The offer letter will be provided only if the candidate's documents are confirmed to be correct.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2022
Preparing for the SSC Stenographer exam requires a thorough knowledge of the SSC Stenographer syllabus. An in-depth understanding of the topics will help candidates score well and enhance their chances of selection.
The subject-wise syllabus for SSC Stenographer 2022 is provided in the table below:
|General Intelligence & Reasoning Syllabus
||General Awareness Syllabus
||English Language Syllabus
- Similarities & Differences
- Space Visualization
- Problem Solving
- Analysis, Judgement
- Decision Making
- Visual Memory
- Discriminating Observation
- Venn Diagram
- Direction & Distance
- Blood Relation
- Order & Ranking
- Number Series
- Verbal Reasoning
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
- Current Affairs
- Science & Technology
- Economic scene
- General polity
|- Reading Comprehension
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Fill in the Blanks
- Phrases & Idiom Meaning
- Active & Passive Voice
- Direct & Indirect Speech
- Para Jumble & Sentence Jumble
- Phrase Replacement/ Sentence Correction
- Error Spotting
SSC Stenographer Preparation Tips 2022
Go through the best SSC Stenographer Preparation Tipsto get help on how to score the highest marks in each of the three sections of the exam. It can add immense value to applicants’ exam strategies.
SSC Steno General Tips
Candidates must have a strong strategy and preparation plan if they wish to pass the SSC Stenographer exam on the first attempt. We have compiled a list of some of the most significant test preparation tips:
- Go through the SSC Stenographer syllabus thoroughly before developing an effective study strategy.
- It is recommended that candidates adhere to the plan as closely as they can in order to pass the exam with good scores.
- Refer to the Best SSC Stenographer Grade C and D Books.
- Understand the theory underlying each subject before attempting practice questions.
- Make a habit of revising the topics and practising the harder problems.
- Attempt SSC Stenographer Mock Test for free on Embibe and work on the errors and weak topics.
- To clear both the CBT and Skill Test, applicants must be familiar with English and Hindi, including grammar, spelling, and vocabulary.
How To Prepare for SSC Steno English Language?
The SSC Stenographer preparation for English Language and Comprehension should be:
- Study basic sections in English grammar such as Parts of Speech (Noun, Pronoun, Verb, Adverb, Preposition, Conjunction, and so on), Active and Passive Voice, Direct and Indirect Speech, Articles, Singular-Plural, and so on.
- Practice as many questions as feasible for each topic.
- Regularly reading English newspapers to learn the meaning and application of new terms candidates come across.
How To Prepare for SSC Steno General Intelligence & Reasoning?
Candidates should include the following points in their SSC Steno preparation for General Intelligence and Reasoning:
- Carefully examine the theory underlying each concept.
- Recognise and recall the steps for approaching challenges.
- Solve sample papers to get familiar with the type of questions and how to answer them.
- Complete as many practice questions as possible for each topic.
How To Prepare for SSC Steno General Awareness?
Knowledge of current events of national and international significance is assessed in this section. Preparation for the SSC Stenographer General Awareness section should consist of the following points:
- Keep up with current events by reading local newspapers' business and financial sections.
- Reading a recent Yearbook for current events and international news.
- Take notes of significant passages and review them often.
SSC Stenographer Admit Card 2022
Candidates who have applied for the SSC Stenographer 2022 exam can download the admit card from the official website once it is released. The exam conducting authority will normally release the hall ticket 15 days prior to the examination.
- Candidates must use their registration ID/ Roll Number/ Name and password in order to download their admit card.
- Candidates appearing for the SSC Stenographer exam must carry their Stenographer Hall Ticket to the examination hall, without which they will not be allowed to write the exam.
Aspirants can download the admit card from the link mentioned below:
SSC Stenographer Answer Key 2022
SSC Stenographer Grade C and D 2022 answer key for CBT will be released a few days after the test. Candidates' response sheets and an objection tracker will also be made available, in addition to the answer key.
They must log in with valid credentials in order to download the answer key. Moreover, they can also raise objections against the provisional key for INR 100 per question/answer.
SSC Stenographer Result 2022
After the exam, the SSC will release the SSC Stenographer 2022 result on its official website. The commission publishes the result in PDF format, which includes the roll number and name of the candidates who have advanced to the next stage. Candidates should keep in mind that only those who took the SSC Steno 2022 exam will be able to download the result.
SSC Stenographer Cut-off 2022
The expected SSC Stenographer 2022 cut-off for different categories is as given below:
||Grade C Cut-off
||Grade D Cut-off
||137 – 140
||135 – 139
||135 – 138
||132 – 135
||120 – 125
||115 – 127
||105 – 109
||99 – 103
SSC Stenographer 2020-21 Cut-off
The category-wise cut-off marks for SSC Stenographer 2020-21 exam for Grade C and Grade D are given below.
||Grade D Cut-off Marks
||Grade C Cut-off Marks
FAQs on SSC Stenographer Exam 2022
Some of the most frequently asked questions for the SSC Stenographer 2022 exam are as follows:
Q: How many levels are there in the Stenographer examination?
A: There are two levels in the SSC Stenographer test.
Q: What are the most important topics to prepare for the SSC Stenographer examination?
A: The test includes three key areas, i.e., General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness of the Situation, and Comprehension and use of the English language.
Q: Is there a negative marking scheme for the SSC Stenographer exam?
A: Yes. Each incorrect answer deducts one-fourth marks of the total score.
Q: What is the marking scheme for the SSC Stenographer 2022 exam?
A: There will be 1 mark given for each correct answer. One-fourth of a mark will be deducted for each incorrect response. Furthermore, there will be no deduction for unanswered questions.
Q: What can I do to increase the speed of answering SSC Stenographer Grade C and D exam questions?
A: Taking mock tests at Embibe can help candidates to improve their answering speed.
Q: Is the SSC Stenographer exam taken online or offline?
A: SSC Stenographer exam is conducted in online mode only.
Q: When will the SSC Stenographer 2022 exam be held?
A: The SSC Stenographer 2022 exam will be conducted on November 17 and 18, 2022.
Q: What is the age limit for SSC Stenographer Grade C?
A: The age limit for Stenographers for Grade C is 18 to 30 years.
Q: What is the age limit for SSC Stenographer Grade D?
A: The age limit for Stenographers for Grade D is between the age of 18 and 27.
Other SSC Exams
Here are a few exams that can be attempted apart from SSC Stenographer: