SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2021: Candidates appearing for SSC CGL 2021 exam must check the SSC CGL Exam Pattern for better preparation. The Staff Selection Commission CGL exam is conducted in various stages that include Tier I, II, III and IV. According to the SSC CGL 2021 Exam Pattern, Tier I and II are online exams, Tier III is pen and paper-based and Tier IV is a skill test. Candidates who are preparing for SSC CGL must go through the exam pattern to get a clear picture of the marking scheme, time duration, mode of exam, and much more. To start preparation candidates must ensure they understand the SSC CGL Exam Pattern and SSC CGL Syllabus.
According to the latest SSC notification, the SSC CGL Exam 2020 for Tier I which was scheduled to be conducted from May 29 to June 7, 2021, has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The SSC CGL exam dates for Tier II, III, and IV are yet to be declared. In this article, we have provided you with detailed information on SSC CGL Tier I, II, III, and IV exam patterns and marking schemes. Candidates must read the full article to know all the information.
|Note: Candidates can download SSC CGL 2020-21 Notification PDF from here. Click Here|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2021 Overview
Before getting into the details of the detailed SSC CGL 2021 Exam Pattern, let us have an overview of the SSC CGL exam mentioned below:
|Exam Name||Combined Graduate Level Examination|
|Conducting Body||Staff Selection Commission (SSC)|
|Mode of Exam||Online and Offline|
|Stages of Exam||Tier I, II, III & IV|
|Medium of Exam||English and Hindi|
|Total Marks Allotted||Tier I- 200|
Tier II- 400
|Types of questions|| Tier I- MCQs|
Tier II- MCQs
Tier IV – Skill Test
|Duration of Exam||Tier I- 1 Hour|
Tier II- 2 Hour
Tier III- 1 Hour
Tier IV- 15 Minutes per module
|SSC CGL Salary||SSC CGL Syllabus|
|SSC CGL Notification||SSC CGL Books|
|SSC CGL Admit Card||SSC CGL Preparation Tips|
|SSC CGL Previous Year Papers||SSC CGL Answer Key|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2021: Selection Process
The SSC CGL selection process consists of four stages namely, Tier I, Tier II, Tier III, and Tier IV.
- SSC CGL Tier I Exam: Computer Based Test (CBT 1)
- SSC CGL Tier II Exam: Computer Based Test (CBT 2)
- SSC CGL Tier III Exam: Pen & Paper Mode (Descriptive Paper)
- SSC CGL Tier IV Exam: Computer Proficiency Test/ Data Entry Skill Test (wherever applicable)/ Document Verification
Candidates can check key points on SSC CGL Exam Pattern for these stages of selection as mentioned below:
- The marks scored by candidates in Tier I and Tier II exam will be normalized if it is conducted in multiple shifts. The normalization score will be decided by SSC and will be considered for further rounds of selection process.
- The tentative answer key will be released after the completion of the exam.
- The metric systems of weights and measures will be used in the question paper wherever necessary.
- There will be no provision for reevaluation or rechecking of scores. The commission will not entertain any correspondence in this regard.
Note: The final selection of candidates is based on the overall performance in Tier-I, Tier-II & Tier-III. The Tier-IV is qualifying in nature.
SSC CGL Tier I Exam Pattern 2021
Candidates can check the SSC CGL Paper Pattern 2021 for Tier I exam as mentioned below:
|Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
- Tier I is objective type of online examination.
- All questions asked will be of objective type, Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs).
- The question will be set in English and Hindi.
- Two Marks will be awarded for every correct answer. And, there is negative marking of 0.50 for each wrong answer.
- The total duration of the exam is 60 minutes.
- A total of 100 questions will be asked for a maximum of 200 marks.
- Candidates can be careful in attempting wrong answers as there is negative marking for every wrong attempts.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern 2021
The SSC CGL 2021 paper pattern for Tier 2 exam is provided in the table below:
|Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Paper I – Quantitative Abilities||100||200|
|Paper-II – English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|Paper III – Statistics||100||200|
|Paper IV – General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200|
- The maximum time duration to complete the test is 2 hours for each paper.
- The time duration for candidates eligible for scribe is 2 hours 40 minutes
- As per the negative marking scheme, 0.25 marks is deducted for each wrong answer in Paper-II.
- Whereas, for Paper I, III, and IV, 0.5 marks is deducted for every incorrect answer.
- Two marks are awarded for every correct answer in Paper I, III, and IV.
- One mark is awarded for every correct answer in Paper II.
- All questions are Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs).
- Paper I and Paper II is compulsory for all posts.
- Candidates who applied for the post of Junior Statistical Officer will be eligible to appear for Paper III for Tier II.
- Candidates shortlisted in Paper IV of Tier I i.e., for the post of Assistant Audit Officer/Assistant Accounts Officer will be eligible for Paper IV of Tier II.
SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Pattern 2021
The exam pattern for SSC CGL Tier 3 exam is given below:
|Scheme of Examination||Maximum Marks||Time Allocated|
|Descriptive Paper in English or Hindi (Writing of Essay/ Precis/Letter/Application etc.)||100||60 Minutes|
- A total of 100 marks is allocated for this stage and the maximum time to complete the test is 60 minutes.
- The time duration for candidates who are eligible for scribe is 1 hour 20 minutes
- The paper will be written either in Hindi or English. Partly written in Hindi and English will be awarded zero marks.
- Candidates must write their roll number at the prescribed space on the answer book. Also, put the signature or thumb impression in the relevant place given. The answer book with no signature and thumb impression will be awarded zero marks.
- Candidates should not write any personal identity eg, name, roll number, address, mobile number inside the answer book. If candidates are caught not adhering to the instruction will be awarded zero marks and their candidature will be rejected.
- The minimum qualifying mark is 33 percent.
SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam Pattern 2021
The SSC CGL Tier IV will be a Skill Test. Depending on the post applied, this may include, Computer Proficiency Test and Data Entry Skill Test.
Data Entry Skill Test: In this test, candidates are required to type 2000 words in 15 minutes on a computer in English. Check the following key points:
- Candidates appearing for the post of Tax Assistants should carry out Data Entry Speed Test at 8000 Key depression per hour on a computer.
- The Data Entry Speed Test Skill Test will be conducted for a passage of about 2000 key depressions for 15 minutes.
- This test will be qualifying in nature.
- Computers will be provided by the commission at the exam center.
- The skill test will be conducted in the regional office.
- Instructions will be provided to the candidates regarding the skill test by the commission.
- The information on the evaluation of the typing test is available on website.
- The skill test will be conducted as decided by the commission.
- OH candidates opting for the post of Tax Assistants in CBDT need not appear for skill test provided medical certificate is submitted to the commission.
- OH candidates opting for the post of Tax Assistants in CBEC are not exempted from appearing in skill test.
- PwD candidates will be given extra 5 minutes to complete the skill test.
Computer Proficiency Test: This test is conducted to check a candidate’s proficiency in Word Processing, Spreadsheets, and Generation of Slides. Check the following points :
- The commission will conduct CPT for three modules; (i) Word Processing, (ii) Spread Sheet, and (iii) Generation of Slides
- The duration of each module will be 15 minutes and will be conducted one after the other.
- Module I comprises skill test for a passage of about 2000 key depressions.
- Module II comprises spreadsheet.
- Module III comprises PowerPoint presentations.
- The CPT will be conducted as decided by the commission for the purpose.
- CPT is qualifying in nature. Candidates should qualify in all the modules to get selected for the next stage of the selection process.
- PwD Candidates will be given an additional 5 minutes in CPT.
- Detailed instructions will be provided by the commission.
SSC CGL Document Verification
Candidates need to carry original as well as photocopy of documents for verification. The ID proof documents are as follows:
- Two recent passport size color photographs.
- Aadhaar Card/ Printout of E-Aadhaar.
- Voter ID Card.
- PAN Card.
- Driving License.
- Government School/ College ID Card.
- Employer ID (Govt./ PSU).
- Ex-Serviceman Discharge Book issued by Ministry of Defence
Candidates need to submit copies of the following documents as mentioned below:
- Matriculation/ Secondary Certificate.
- Educational Qualification Certificate.
- Caste/ Category Certificate, if belongs to reserved categories.
- Persons with Disabilities Certificate in the required format.
- Age relaxation certificates
- Ex servicemen certificates.
SSC CGL Pattern 2021: Mode of Selection
Check out some of the important points on the Exam Pattern of SSC CGL 2021 mentioned below:
- Tier I and Tier II tests are compulsory for all posts.
- The minimum qualifying marks in Tier I, II, and III are UR (30%), OBC/EWS (25%) and others (20%).
- Candidates will be shortlisted for Tier II and III based on the marks scored in Tier I.
- Candidates will be shortlisted for evaluation of Tier III based on the aggregate performance in Tier I and II.
- Candidates will be shortlisted to appear for Document Verification and Skill Test based on the performance of Tier I, II and III
- Merit list will be prepared based on the overall performance of candidates in Tier I, II, III, and Skill Test.
- Preference of posts will be taken from the candidates either online before DV or at the time of Document Verification.
FAQs Related To SSC CGL 2021 Exam Pattern
The frequently asked questions on SSC CGL Paper pattern 2021 are given below:
| Q. When will the SSC CGL Tier I exam be conducted? |
A. SSC has postponed the exam date for Tier I due to the coronavirus pandemic. Earlier it was going to be conducted from May 29, 2021, to June 7, 2021.
| Q. Is there any negative marking for SSC CGL 2020-21 exam pattern? |
A. Yes, there is a negative marking of 0.50 marks for CGL Tier I exam. In Tier II there will be negative marking of 0.25 for each wrong answer in Paper-II (English Language and Comprehension) and of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer in Paper-I, Paper-III and Paper-IV.
|Q. How many stages are there in SSC CGL 2021-22? |
A. There are four stages in SSC CGL exam namely, Tier I (CBT 1), Tier II (CBT 2), Tier III (Descriptive type), and Tier IV (Skill Test).
| Q. What is the qualifying marks for Tier III? |
A. The qualifying marks for Tier III is 33 percent.
|Q. In which mode SSC CGL exam will be conducted? |
A. SSC will conduct Tier I and II in online mode whereas, Tier III and Tier IV in offline mode.
We have now provided you with all the details on the SSC CGL Exam pattern 2021. Candidates must have a thorough knowledge of the SSC CGL Syllabus to create SSC CGL Preparation Strategy. Candidates must stick to their plan and also dedicate sufficient time for revision. Besides that, candidates can also take Free SSC CGL Mock Tests which will help them to prepare for SSC CGL 2021. Taking these tests will improve your conceptual knowledge and will help you to know your mistakes.
We hope this article on SSC CGL pattern 2021 helps you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comment section below. We will get back to you at the earliest.1613 Views