Aerospace Engineering 2019: Aerospace engineering belongs to the aviation sector. It covers two main sectors- Aeronautical and Astronomical. From building a small propeller, to working for rocket science, an aerospace engineer learns everything. It includes the study of various aircraft and spaceships. Aerospace engineering is designed with the purpose of making engineers experts in flight technology. In other words, Aerospace engineering is formulated to train people to design aircraft of any kind like travelling, cargo or space. With the development of technology, the aerospace sector is also getting wider. In today’s world, aircraft are used in travelling, shipping, war, spying or any research activities. On a large scale and daily basis, aircraft like choppers, jets, planes are delivered to various countries.
Aerospace Engineering 2019
To be a successful aircraft technician or engineer, it is necessary to be dedicated to this field. Aircraft engineering is one of the toughest and rarest branches of engineering that students go for. As the usage of aerospace engineering is increasing, students are getting more and more interested in this field.
- To take admission on a graduation level, it is mandatory to clear 10+2 with PCM background. Also, there can be some entrance exams to qualify as well. It totally depends upon the type of college you go for.
- To take admission in a post-graduation course of Aerospace engineering, it is mandatory to have a similar background for the same. For top engineering colleges, exams like GATE is mandatory to get cleared.
- Diploma Courses for Aerospace engineering are also available in India for the students from the same background. The duration of this diploma course can vary from three months to 3 years. Some common names which are given to these type of diplomas are UG Diploma In Aerospace Engineering, PG Diploma In Aerospace Engineering, Diploma In Space Science etc.
- Indian Institutes also provide Doctorate courses for Aerospace engineering. With a post-graduation degree in the same field, one can apply for these PHDs.
Top Aerospace Engineering Colleges in India
- IIT Bombay-Mumbai
- IIT Kanpur-Kanpur
- IIT Kharagpur-Kharagpur
- IIT Madras-Chennai
- – Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology-Thiruvananthapuram
- IISc Bangalore.
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai.
- Birla Insitute Of Technology, Ranchi.
- Defense Institute of Advanced Technology.
- Feroze Gandhi Insitute Of Engineering And Technology, Rai Bareli, Uttar Pradesh
Note: Above data is taken from Quora.
Subjects for Aerospace Engineering at Graduation Level
- Elements of Aeronautics.
- Aero-Fluid Mechanics.
- Mechanics of Solids.
- Aircraft Component Drawing.
- Machines and Mechanisms.
- Aircraft Systems and Instruments.
- Air-breathing Propulsion.
- Aerodynamics Laboratory.
- Introduction to Space Tech.
- Aircraft Structure Designing and Building.
- Flight Dynamics.
- Heat Transfer.
- Total Quality Management and Reliability engineering.
- Rocket Propulsion.
- Vibrations and Elements of Aeroelasticity.
- Helicopter Aerodynamics.
- Rockets and Missiles.
- Combustion Engineering.
- Theory of Plates and Shells.
- Computer-aided design and analysis.
- Automatic Control System.
- Spacecraft technology.
- Aircraft Materials.
- Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics.
Note: Above data is based on the syllabus of SRM University for the graduation courses. The data can be varied as per different universities and institutes.
Subjects for Aerospace Engineering at Post-Graduation Level
- Engineering Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics.
- Elements of Gas Dynamics and Propulsion.
- Aerodynamic Design.
- Advanced aerodynamics.
- Helicopter Aerodynamics.
- Numerical Methods in Gas Dynamics.
- Grid Generation.
- Hypersonic Air Breathing Propulsion.
- Thermal Stress Analysis.
- Mechanics of Damage Tolerance.
- Aero Elasticity.
- Elastic Stability.
- Non-Linear Behavior of Plates and Shells.
Note: Above mentioned details are taken from various websites like Quora and Targetstudy. Details can be varied as per the syllabus different universities and institutes follow.
Aerospace Engineering Course Details
Aerospace engineering is also divided into four levels of the study. Apart from Aerospace engineering, some other terms which are commonly used are Aeronautical engineering, Spacecraft engineering, Aircraft engineering etc.
Aerospace Engineering Course is divided into four levels:
- Graduation Course: This course is designed for 10+2 passed students from PCM background. Courses like B.E. or Btech in Aerospace Engineering train engineers to build or repair any kind of aircraft. This level of study begins with the introduction and small but required elements of aerospace engineering.
- Post-Graduation Course: This level of Aerospace engineering course focuses more on providing practical knowledge. This level of study has specifically divided portions like Chopper engineering, Aircraft engineering, Cargo engineering etc.
- Diploma Course: Diploma in aerospace engineering can vary from the duration of 3 months to 3 years. The purpose of this course is to provide specialized knowledge to engineers which was not included in their regular curriculum.
- PhD Course: PhD or doctorate courses are designed to provide expertise to the pursuer. This level is beneficial for teaching jobs or jobs of senior level.
Specializations for Aerospace Engineering Courses
- Aircraft and Spacecraft Guidance and Control
- Micro Air Vehicles
- Optimization Techniques for Aerospace Systems
- Small Satellites
- Space and Atmospheric Flight Optimal Control
- Space Cryogenic Fluids Thermal Management
- Space Environment Modeling
- Space Mission Design and Planning
- Spacecraft and Vehicle Design
Note: Above mentioned data is taken from the official website of Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, which can be varied as per the different syllabus of different universities and institutes.
The scope of Aerospace Engineering in India
In India, Aerospace Engineering has a good scope due to the increased numbers of industries in the aviation sector. With a high speed of technology development in India, sectors focusing on Space researches, Rocket building, Cargo shipping, Travelling aircraft, Chopper services, and Drone services etc. are some of the trending recruiters of aerospace engineers.
- An aerospace engineer can be a part of any rocket building team from organizations like NASA, ISRO or SpaceX.
- Aerospace engineers can join defence sector as aircraft technicians, aircraft pilots, etc.
- Aerospace engineers are mainly hired for chopper based projects by many MNCs.
Career and Top Recruiters for Aerospace Engineering in India
Companies like TAS, Airbus, and ISRO are some of the main recruiters which hire Indian Aerospace engineers. With a large number of aircraft industries, India has now a very high scope of good placements for Aeronautical engineers. An average graduated aeronautical engineer can earn somewhere around INR 45,000/- in India while it could be higher as much as twice for post graduated aeronautical engineers.
Note: Details given above are taken from various websites like Quora and PAYSCALE. Embibe doesn’t guarantee any packages mentioned above in any condition.
Aerospace Engineering FAQs
Below are the frequently asked questions on Aerospace Engineering:
Q: What are the major sectors which recruit a graduate Aerospace Engineer?
Ans: Sectors like Defence, Cargo Shipment, Private Airlines, Space Research are some of the major sectors which hire an Aerospace engineer.
Q: Will I get a good pay in India if I join an Aerospace Engineering course?
Ans: Aerospace engineering has a good competition in India. If your purpose is to earn a good money at the beginning of your career, then think twice before choosing this course. Aerospace engineering needs expertise, experience and lot of practice to provide you with a high paying job into any MNCs.
Q: Apart from the IITs and NITs, are there any best aerospace engineering colleges in India?
Ans: Yes, Colleges like Anna University Chennai, PEC Chandigarh, And Defense Institute of Advanced Technology falls under the top ranking institutes for an aerospace engineering aspirant.
With a rapid growth of the aviation sector in India, job opportunities are also growing. Aerospace Engineering requires more experience and practical knowledge for a better growth. It is a field which requires hard work and dedication, to be a successful engineer, choose Aerospace Engineering only if you can stay dedicated and focused.
We hope that our article on Aerospace Engineering is useful for you. In case, if you have any feedback or query to share, please feel free to drop a comment below. Our experts will get back to you within a very short time. Keep learning, keep experimenting.