JEE Main Exam Pattern 2021: The National Testing Agency (NTA) has released the JEE Main 2021 exam pattern and the official brochure. This year, the NTA has revised the JEE Main paper pattern. The exam pattern of JEE Main 2021 is divided into two papers- Paper 1 for B.Tech and Paper 2 (2A & 2B) for B. Arch/B. Planning. According to the JEE Main paper pattern 2021, each subject will have 20 MCQs and 10 Numerical value questions, out of which 5 questions need to be answered. Both the papers will be conducted in online mode except for the Drawing test for B.Arch. NTA JEE Main 2021 Paper 1 is being conducted in 4 sessions starting from February, March, April, and May. JEE Main Paper 2 is being conducted only twice a year (February and May 2021).
JEE Mains April & May sessions exam 2021 dates are announced, which were postponed earlier. The first session (Feb) and second session (March) of JEE Main 2021 were conducted. The JEE Main exam pattern 2021 helps the candidates to understand the exam, number of sections and questions, marking scheme, and type of questions asked in the exam. JEE Main revised exam pattern 2021 has seen a variety of changes which is provided in this article. Read this article to check the detailed new JEE Main 2021 exam pattern, marking scheme and the changes made this year.
|JEE Main 2021 Question Paper||JEE Main 2021 Answer Key (Out)|
|JEE Main 2021 Analysis (Out)||JEE Main 2021 Student Reaction (Out)|
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2021 – Changes Made
JEE Main 2021 exam consists of two papers:
- Paper 1 is for B.E/B. Tech.
- Paper 2 (2A & 2B) is for B. Arch and B.Planning.
Changes Made in JEE Mains Exam Pattern 2021
- The JEE Main Paper 1 will have a total of 90 questions, 25 each from Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. Candidates must attempt 75 questions only.
- Each subject will have 20 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and 10 Numerical Value Questions.
- Out of the 10 numerical questions, only 5 must be attempted, and the rest of the 5 questions can be left as a choice.
- Numerical Questions don’t have negative marking.
- JEE Main paper 1 (B. Tech) is conducted for 300 marks, while paper 2 (B. Arch/B. Plan) is conducted separately for 400 marks each.
- JEE Mains 2021 is conducting in 13 languages. The option for question paper language should be exercised while filling up the JEE Mains application form online and it can’t be changed/modify at a later stage.
Below we have provided the detailed exam pattern for JEE Main 2021 paper 1 and paper 2.
Scheme of JEE Main Examination
As per the exam pattern of JEE Mains 2021, the subject combinations for each paper, type of questions in each paper and examination mode is given below in the table:
JEE Main Exam Pattern & Marking Scheme for Paper 1 (B.Tech/ B.E.)
Candidates appearing for JEE Main 2021 must be aware of the exam pattern and the type of questions asked in the exam. Paper 1 – B.Tech/B.E exam will be conducted in computer-based test (CBT) mode and will have multiple-choice questions along with numerical value questions. The new JEE Mains exam pattern 2021 for Paper 1 is as under:
Paper 1 – BE/BTech
|Subject||Total No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|Mathematics||20 MCQs and 10 Numerical Questions (Any 5 to be answered)||100|
|Physics||20 MCQs and 10 Numerical Questions (Any 5 to be answered)||100|
|Chemistry||20 MCQs and 10 Numerical Questions (Any 5 to be answered)||100|
|Total||90 Questions (75 Questions Mandatory)||300|
Highlights of JEE Main Paper Pattern 2021 for Paper 1
- Courses: It is held for engineering courses, i.e., B.Tech or B.E.
- Shift Timings: JEE Main 2021 will be conducted in 2 shifts.
First Shift: 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Second Shift: 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- Number of Questions: It consists of 60 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and 30 Numerical Answer Type Questions. (Each subject will have 20 MCQs and 10 numerical questions out of which 5 is mandatory).
- Subjects: The paper will be based on Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Exam Language: 13 language- Assamese, Bengali, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu in addition to Hindi, English and Gujarati
- Examination Mode: It is a Computer Based Test.
- Exam Duration: 3 hours (4 hours for the candidates having 40% or more disability).
- Marking Scheme of JEE Mains 2021: 4 marks for each correct response.
- Negative Marking: 1 mark (-1) will be deducted for each incorrect response or multi-responses (only for MCQ).
- No marks will be awarded for unattempted questions.
- For Numerical value questions: 4 marks (+4) will be awarded for every correct answer and no marks will be deducted for incorrect answers.
- Method of Determining Merit: Conversion of the raw score in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Total into NTA scores. Overall merit will be prepared by merging NTA scores of all days’ shifts.
JEE Main Paper 1 Schedule 2021
|Events||First Shift||Second Shift|
|Entry to test centre/ room, frisking, biometric registration/ record of manual attendance by Invigilator/ document verification/cross-checking of admit card, signature & photo match to be completed by Invigilator, etc.||7:30 AM to 8:30 AM||2:00 PM to 2:30 PM|
|Invigilators Instructions||8:30 AM to 8:50 AM||2:30 PM to 2:50 PM|
|Candidates login to read instructions||8:50 AM||2:50 PM|
|Exam Timings for B.Tech (Paper 1)||9:00 AM to 12:00 PM||3:00 PM to 6:00 PM|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours||3 Hours|
Method of Resolving Ties for JEE Main Paper 1
Tie between candidates obtaining equal NTA scores in JEE Main Paper 1 (B.E./B.Tech) will be resolved in the following descending order:
- NTA score in Maths followed by
- NTA score in Physics followed by
- NTA score in Chemistry followed by
- Candidates having a lesser ratio of negative to positive responses
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2021 for Paper 2 (B.Arch & B.Planning)
JEE Main Paper 2 is being conducted in 2 sessions- February and May. The JEE Main Feb paper 2 exams were held on February 23. JEE Mains May exam will be held from August 26, 27, 31 and September 1, 2, 2021.
Aspirants who wish to appear for JEE Main 2021 Paper 2 – B. Arch and B. Planning can go through the exam pattern below. Both the papers – B. Arch and B. Planning will be conducted in online mode except for the Drawing section in B.Arch. The JEE Mains Exam Pattern 2021 for B. Arch/B. Planning or Paper 2 is as under:
JEE Mains Exam Pattern 2021 for Paper 2A – (B. Arch)
|Mathematics – Part 1||20 MCQs and 10 Numerical Answer Type Questions (Any 5 to be answered)||100|
|Aptitude Test – Part 2||50||200|
|Drawing Test – Part 3||02||100|
|Total||82 (77 to be answered)||400|
JEE Main Paper Pattern 2021 for Paper 2B – (B. Planning)
|Mathematics||20 MCQs and 10 Numerical Answer Type Questions (Any 5 to be answered)||100|
|Total||105 (100 to be answered)||400|
Highlights of JEE Main 2021 Exam Pattern for Paper 2
- Number of Sections: There will be three sections in both B. Arch and B.Planning papers.
- B.Arch: Mathematics, Aptitude Test, and Drawing test.
- B.Plan: Mathematics, Aptitude Test, and Planning test.
- Duration of Exam: 3:30 Hours
- Number of Questions:
B.Arch: 82 Questions
B.Plan: 105 Questions
- JEE Mains Total Marks: 400 Marks
- MCQs- Candidates will be awarded 4 marks for each correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
- Numerical value questions: 4 marks (+4) will be awarded for every correct answer and no marks will be deducted for incorrect answers.
- Marking Scheme of JEE Mains 2021 Drawing Test: 2 questions to be evaluated out of 100 marks.
- Language: 13 languages- Assamese, Bengali, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu in addition to Hindi, English and Gujarati.
- Method of determining merit: Conversion of the raw score in Mathematics, Aptitude Test, Drawing Test/Planning based test and Total into NTA JEE Main paper 2 scores. Overall merit will be prepared by merging NTA JEE Main paper 2 scores of all shifts of all days.
JEE Main Paper 2 Schedule 2021
|Entry to exam centre/ Room, frisking, biometric registration/ Record of manual attendance by Invigilator/ document verification / Cross-checking of hall ticket, signature and photo match to be completed by Invigilator, etc.||2:00 PM to 2:30 PM|
|Invigilators Instructions||2:40 PM to 2:55 PM|
|Candidates log in to read instructions||2:50 PM|
|Timing of Examination for B. Arch & B. Planning (Paper 2)||3:00 PM to 6:30 PM|
|Exam Duration||3:30 Hours|
Method of Resolving Ties for JEE Main Paper 2
Tie between candidates obtaining equal Total NTA scores in Paper 2 (2A- B.Arch & 2B- B.Planning) will be resolved in the following manner:
- NTA score in Maths followed by
- NTA score in Aptitude Test followed by
- NTA score in Drawing Test/Planning Based Test followed by
- Candidates having a lesser ratio of negative to positive responses
Note: In B.Arch and B.Planning – 20 questions will be MCQs, and 5 numerical value questions will have to be answered out of 10. There will be no negative marking for numerical value.
JEE Main 2021 Subject-wise Syllabus
Engineering subjects are skill-based. In these subjects, practical knowledge is more important than theoretical knowledge. One cannot become an expert overnight; the greater the practice, the greater the expertise.
Embibe’s Practice platform provides a whole list of exciting features that make practising more powerful, personalized, and fun. It greatly increases the likelihood that students will permanently remember the concepts.
The practice platform at Embibe offers unlimited practice questions for free to assist you in your JEE Main preparation. Detailed solutions and explanations are also provided. It is advised that students Practice concepts and chapters by clicking the links given below:
JEE Main 2021 Physics Syllabus
Candidates can check below the JEE Main syllabus for Physics –
- Atomic Structure in Modern Physics
- Experimental Physics
- Nuclear Physics and Radioactivity
- Photo-Electric Effect and Electromagnetic Waves
- Semiconductors and Communication System
- Center of Mass and Momentum Conservation
- Circular Motion
- Properties of Matter and Fluid Mechanics
- Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)
- Electric charges and Fields
- Electric potential and Capacitance
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current
- Classical magnetism and Magnetic Properties of Matter
Heat and Thermodynamics:
- Heat Transfer
- Laws of Thermodynamics
- Thermal properties of matter, Calorimetry and Kinetic Theory of Gases
- Mathematics in Physics
- Motion in One Dimension
- Motion in Two Dimension and Projectile Motion
- Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Units and Dimensions
- Work, Power, and Energy
JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Syllabus
Check below the JEE Main syllabus for Chemistry –
- Alcohol and Ether
- Chemistry in action
- Biomolecules and Polymers
- Carbonyl Compounds
- Carboxylic Acid and its Derivatives
- Classification and Nomenclature
- General Organic Chemistry
- Haloarenes and Phenols
- Hydrocarbons: Alkanes, Alkenes, and Alkynes
- Nitrogen Compound and Aliphatic Amines
- Practical and Environmental Chemistry
- Chemical Bonding
- Coordination Compounds
- D-Block and F-Block Elements
- P-Block Elements
- Periodic Properties
- Qualitative Analysis
- S-Block Elements, Hydrogen, and its Compounds
- Chemical Equilibrium
- Atomic Structure
- Chemical Kinetics
- Gaseous State
- Ionic Equilibrium
- Mole Concept
- Nuclear Chemistry
- Redox and Volumetric Analysis
- Solid State
- Solution (General and Colligative Properties)
- Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry
JEE Main 2021 Maths Syllabus
Candidates can check the JEE Main syllabus for Maths given below-
- Binomial Theorem
- Complex Numbers
- Mathematical Induction
- Matrices and Determinants
- Permutation and Combination
- Progressions mki
- Set Theory and Relations
- Theory of Equation
- Continuity and Differentiability
- Differential Coefficient
- Differentiation and Application of Derivatives
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometrical Equations and Inequations
- Trigonometrical Ratios, Functions, and Identities
Statistics and Mathematical Reasoning:
Frequently Asked Questions On JEE Main Exam Pattern 2021
Given are some of the most commonly asked questions by students on the JEE Mains Exam Pattern 2021:
|Q1: Can I apply for both B. Arch and B. Planning papers? |
Ans: Yes, you can apply for both B. Arch and B. Planning papers (For Feb and May session only). Your exam duration will be of 3:30 hours for each paper.
|Q2: What is the distribution of sections and questions in JEE Main paper 1?|
Ans: The JEE Main exam pattern for Paper 1 is divided into three sections- Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and will have 90 questions, where every section will consist of 30 questions. Out of 30 questions, 25 are to be answered.
|Q3: What will be the medium of JEE Main Paper 1? |
Ans: JEE Main Paper 1 will be available in 13 languages, including English and Hindi.
|Q4: What is the marking scheme for questions which need to be answered by a numerical value? |
Ans: Like MCQs, Numerical value-based questions will fetch 4 marks for every correct response. However, there will be no negative marking for incorrect responses in such cases.
|Q5: What will be the level of difficulty for the JEE Main 2021 exam? |
Ans: The JEE Main 2021 is expected to be of a moderate difficulty level due to its high competency level.
Now you have the detailed JEE Mains paper pattern for Paper 1 and Paper 2. Go ahead with your preparation and finish the JEE Main syllabus.
Embibe provides free JEE Main Study Material in accordance with the JEE Main exam pattern. Alongside this, you can also solve JEE Main Practice Questions for free. You can also take free JEE Main Mock Tests of the latest pattern and avail personalized feedback for each test. Embibe also has its premium product RANKUP that provides personalized guidance, and guarantee your score improvement.
We hope this detailed article on JEE Main Exam Pattern 2021 helps you. If you have any queries regarding JEE Mains Exam Pattern, leave your questions in the comment box below. We will get back to you at the earliest.
Stay tuned to Embibe for more updates on JEE Main Paper Pattern 2021!85 Views