What is Automobile Engineering?
Automobile Engineering, a branch of vehicle engineering, deals with different elements of electrical, electronic, software and safety engineering. In this stream, a student learns how to design, develop, manufacture, test and repair and service automobiles. Today the demand of automobile engineer is growing day by day because India has emerged as the global hub of automobile and autocomponents manufacturer.
Who is desirable as an Automobile Engineer?
A career as an automobile engineer is for people who are driven and exceptionally passionate about cars. They must have considerable understanding and interest in mechanics, electronics, and mathematics as these are vital skills required for this career path. Automobile engineers must be organized individuals who are able to work in a methodical manner.
People in this career are required to communicate with other professionals on a regular basis, both from within the field and outside it. Hence, this career is only for those with fluent communication skills. While automobile engineers must be innovative, eager workers, they must not get carried away.
Here is a video from the University of Newcastle, Australia explaining what it means to be an Automotive Engineer.
Work activities :
Designing and developing a vehicle involves a very wide range of engineering knowledge. For example, automobile engineers use their knowledge of mechanical engineering , combustion, vehicle structures and aerodynamics . They also need knowledge of computers and electronic and electrical systems, which are all becoming increasingly sophisticated in modern vehicles. For example, some cars now have computer-controlled engine systems and digital display dashboards.
What does one need?
To become a proficient automobile engineer, specialized training is essential and it is a profession which requires a lot of hard work, dedication, determination and commitment.
The major task of an Automobile Engineer is the designing, developing, manufacturing and testing of vehicles from the concept stage to the production stage. This broad field of engineering has many sub sections and the areas of specialization include engine systems, electronics and control systems, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, aerodynamics, supply chain management etc. It involves understanding the mechanism of vehicle chasis, internal combustion Engine, electrical systems, Motor transport affairs, workshop technology, research and design.
Automobile Engineers are mainly classified into three streams like Product or Design Engineers, Development Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers.
- Product Engineers or Design Engineers are those who deal with the designing and testing of the components and systems of automobiles. They design and test each part of the visualised automobile, seeing that it meets all requirements, performs as required, that the material meets desired durability, and so on.
- Manufacturing Engineers deal with activities like how to create and assemble the whole parts of automobiles. They have to design and layout the equipments, machine rates and line rates, specification of automation equipment, and manufacturing safety procedures.
- Those who deal with connecting all systems in a completed automobile are called Development engineers.
To become an automobile engineer, one must have a BE or B.Tech. in automobile engineering. Even degree holders in electrical or mechanical branch can go in for specialization in automobile engineering at the postgraduate level. Diploma holders can take the AMIE exam to be at par with degree holders.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of all the engineering disciplines which are involved in the production of vehicles and ability to think in an orderly and logical way.
- Advanced computer skills and Willingness to learn more.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to deal with people diplomatically. flexibility to understand and apply new technologies in a competitive environment.
- Team facilitator and willing to take responsibilities. Automobile Engineering.
Career Prospects :
There are plenty of employment opportunities for the qualified people and they can select a career in Automobile Industry, which leads to bright future. Now, with so many foreign automobile companies like Volkswagen, Audi, Renault etc targeting India as a base for manufacturing cars, the scope for a career in Automobile Industry is rising rapidly. Apart from it one can find jobs in service station, private transport companies and Defense Services. Self-employment is also possible in setting up automobile garages or maintenance of workshops.
Pay Packages :
Automobile engineers are generally quite well paid compared to other fields within the discipline of engineering. While the entry level salary In USA rests at around US$ 45,000, with experience and expertise, an automobile engineer can earn up to US $100,000 per annum. The job is almost always accompanied by non-monetary benefits including paid vacation and health insurance.
According to PayScale India, between Rs. 250,000 and Rs. 600,000 per annum including average bonuses and commissions received on the job. The highest salaries were paid by vehicle manufacturers whereas product development engineering firms paid a lot less to automobile engineers they hired.
Now, there is an easier way to crack Engineering exams and become an Automobile Engineer
Join Embibe, India’s largest education portal for Engineering exams to track your progress and give free mock tests that will help you land up in the job of your dreams.78 Views